Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lenovo's Power Manager vs. Windows 7 native power settings

T60/T61 Series
JayNYC
Freshman Member

Lenovo's Power Manager vs. Windows 7 native power settings

#1 Post by JayNYC » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:28 am

Hi. Running a T60P with Windows 7 32bit. Do the experts here use and recommend Lenovo's Power Manager Software? Or does Windows 7 have better power management capabilities?

Are there any features of Lenovo Power Manager that Windows 7 does not have?

Norway Pad
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Lenovo's Power Manager vs. Windows 7 native power settin

#2 Post by Norway Pad » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:54 am

Generally Lenovo system software contains features that are more aimed towards and better suited to Lenovo hardware than generic Windows functions. Most of the settings and options there are the same as the ones found in the built in Windows power manager, and you will also see that the settings you select in Power Manager are copied over if the same setting exists in Windows. Functions that are specific for Power Manager are settings for fan and system temperature, which you don't have in Windows. Power Manager also lets you set charging thresholds for the battery, and gives you access to detailed battery information, like cycle count, capacity, voltage, and so on. Combined with Hotkeys, it also gives you the Fn+F3 menu, and it let's me control my R61/T61's 'Always On USB', which I believe is otherwise a BIOS setting.

The drawback is of course that Power Manager is another piece of software that draws resources. I always use Lenovo's Power Manager for my Thinkpads, as I find the above mentioned functions and settings useful to have. Even though really I suspect and expect it does, I haven't run tests which proves that Power Manager actually gives better power management capabilities than Windows.

FWIW, my advice is to use it. Others might disagree.
Bjorn
THINKPAD collector. Only missing a proper RetroThinkpad.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by dr_st » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:44 am

The Power Manager is about almost the only piece of Thinkvantage Software I find useful on a modern machine...
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#4 Post by ajkula66 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:57 pm

dr_st wrote:The Power Manager is about almost the only piece of Thinkvantage Software I find useful on a modern machine...
QFT. Same here.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

emeraldgirl08
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by emeraldgirl08 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Norway Pad wrote:

FWIW, my advice is to use it.
I agree. It really is a helpful program.
Thinkpad T470 | iPhone XR | mATX Comet Lake Desktop | Hackintosh Monterey | Lenovo L24q-30 Monitor

Ormu

Re: Lenovo's Power Manager vs. Windows 7 native power settings

#6 Post by Ormu » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:47 am

Bumping this because this issue is related...

It seems that (after an update of something?) the hard disk on my T410 spins down when using Windows 7 even though I have disabled hard disk spin down in the power manager. I think I'm going to get rid of the power manager as it apparently can't do what it should.

I don't really need accurate power management capabilities. What I usually want to do is disabling most power saving features. Display brightess adjust and ability to turn off radios (Fn+F5) are important. Do these work without the power manager software?