Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T60p Query

T60/T61 series specific matters only
CeeDee
Sophomore Member

T60p Query

#1 Post by CeeDee » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:00 pm

Hello all, I have a T60p that I want to sell (it's the one in my sig) and I have absolutely no idea of the value of it. Prices vary so much on eBay that I can't get a decent feel. So I thought I would ask the people who know. It really is in excellent condition, the best I have seen in a very long time.
It's been sat on a dock for 2 or 3 years maybe even longer.
Here is a link to some photo's so you can take a look. I would really appreciate any input.

https://colindent.smugmug.com/My-T60p/n-gGFZmL/
Regards
Colin D.
T-60p Core 2 Duo T7200 4gig ram. ips uxga 160g Intel SSD. 320g-7200 Hitachi hd. Or DVDRW DL in Ultrabay
past: 600x T-23 T-30 S-30 T-41 X-32 T-60

Medessec
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: T60p Query

#2 Post by Medessec » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:12 pm

That is definitely a gorgeous unit- very nicely kept!

It is quite hard to describe a firm price- and usually best with machines like these not to hold onto such a price. I'll send you a PM on sales I've seen in the past similar to units such as these, but as a very general reference for everyone on the forum- these sort of laptops usually trade hands for $200-$300 depending on the condition, and it looks like yours is in very nice condition.

Would be the great basis for a very nice Frankenpad. Left alone, it already is an extremely potent unit. And including the dock would also be worthwhile for some buyers.

Best of luck!
Trying my hardest to collect Thinkpads, but college and being broke kinda gets in the way. However...
701C, 760, 770, X24, T30, G41, A31p, T43p, T60/61 Frankie, Z61p, X60 SXGA+, W700ds
MEDESSEC

and yes. I am a bit of a lunatic.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:40 am

You may rather want to "FrankenPad" it with one of forum member TuuS's NOS nVidia NVS140M motherboards.
You can read all about it here: http://theboardroom.info/t61motherboard.html
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

"Computers don't lie, but liars can compute." (Terry Hayes)

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by wujstefan » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:56 am

Sec RBS, if you have just a little bit of skill you definietely could make it a great unit.

Otherwise, it's not that special as Medessec said. I've recently bought an already franked&maxed T60p in very similiar shape for $200. The most important part here is display, which does not seem so great at the first view, but maybe the bleeding and shadowing effects are just out of photo. I think $120-150 is reasonable.

If possible, ask TuuS for NOS nVidia MOBO he offers. I have one, had to pay tax, shipping etc. all overseas and the only thing I regret is I didn't take 2 of them. Or 5.
Too many thinkpads not enough time!
(stable under reduction)

CeeDee
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by CeeDee » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:58 am

Thank you for your replies guys. Now I'm in a real quandary as to what to do.
@wujstefan the screen is actually very very good, just very difficult to photograph with an old iPhone. The images you see were just to show no dead pixels with Dead Pixel Buddy.
I guess I will mull it over for a day or two and then decide whether to keep it and do the M/Board swap or sell it (most likely)
Regards
Colin D.
T-60p Core 2 Duo T7200 4gig ram. ips uxga 160g Intel SSD. 320g-7200 Hitachi hd. Or DVDRW DL in Ultrabay
past: 600x T-23 T-30 S-30 T-41 X-32 T-60

zoltan87
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by zoltan87 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:25 pm

Medessec wrote:That is definitely a gorgeous unit- very nicely kept!

It is quite hard to describe a firm price- and usually best with machines like these not to hold onto such a price. I'll send you a PM on sales I've seen in the past similar to units such as these, but as a very general reference for everyone on the forum- these sort of laptops usually trade hands for $200-$300 depending on the condition, and it looks like yours is in very nice condition.

Would be the great basis for a very nice Frankenpad. Left alone, it already is an extremely potent unit. And including the dock would also be worthwhile for some buyers.

Best of luck!
Wow! I had no idea about these prices! Is it maybe a USA thing (I would be surprised if that's the case though, as usually everything is dirt cheap over there compared to Europe)? I bought my 15 inch T60 with Ati x1400, 2gb ram and a flexview 1400 x 1050 screen for £35, and it's pretty much unused, keyboard and everything inside is like new, bottom is like new, only the rubberized lid that shows some wear/ shinier edges, but even that has no major marks. Since then I have bought two more 15 inch models (same flexview screens, but with Ati x1300 graphics cards), these units has completely intact lids (although have a big sticker on them on the bottom left corner, will be a pain to remove them), but the inside shows some use (nothing major, no shiny keyboards etc), mostly just I can feel that it's a little bit sticky, will have to wipe them down with some damp cleaning cloths. These two newer models were £55 each, and that is pretty much the maximum I would ever pay for a 10 year old computer. So I have my dream machine, and have 2 spare ones too. I was also thinking about buying one of these NOS t61 mobos for a couple of days, but then I weighed in everything, and it would be just way too expensive for me. Shipping is INSANE to the UK, and I also checked the DDR2 memory prices (main advantage of that mobo is being able to take 8gb), it's like £80 for 2x4 gb ddr2 laptop memory!!!! You gotta be kidding with me! But now I am glad it's so expensive, helped me completely out from my fantasizing, and I won't end up sinking a fortune into something, that's so obsolete (for my needs it will be fine, but just about). It would be an extra ~£300 (new mobo, ram, and cpu), to make my machine maybe 20% faster. And as I said I paid £35 for the whole unit, so if anything could be considered to be a bad investment, then this would certainly qualify for that.
Thinkpad T60, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad T601, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu pin mod for FSB change and undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad A21e
NEC ProSpeed SX/20

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#7 Post by wujstefan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:04 am

Kind of offtopic: Why the heck 300pounds? It's like a $375 now; for nVidia MOBO 08/08 no more than $100, for 8Gigs another $100 and just around $25-30 for T9300. Also have in mind DDR2 will not get any cheaper. And nope, it's not like 20% faster. I may make some measurements (superpi, 3Dmark etc.) if you wish - I still have my old T60p specced with T2600/3Gig/FireGL5250 - but I feel it kinda 120% faster :D I'm a hardware design engineer and SolidWorks CAD software rocks my frankie hard. Still the system is running like a chased deer.

If this unit is to be sold, it would definietely become a glorious frankie. I can't just see any other reason of spending money that could buy you an Elitebook 8740w w/dreamcolor.

Too bad LED UXGA's are almost impossible to get :(

EDIT: and if you tend to look for some frankenparts zoltan please lmk - I've built my frankie and still have lots of spares for franking, including mobos, RAM, displays and more.
(stable under reduction)

Medessec
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#8 Post by Medessec » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:14 am

zoltan87 wrote: Wow! I had no idea about these prices! Is it maybe a USA thing (I would be surprised if that's the case though, as usually everything is dirt cheap over there compared to Europe)? I bought my 15 inch T60 with Ati x1400, 2gb ram and a flexview 1400 x 1050 screen for £35, and it's pretty much unused, keyboard and everything inside is like new, bottom is like new, only the rubberized lid that shows some wear/ shinier edges, but even that has no major marks. Since then I have bought two more 15 inch models (same flexview screens, but with Ati x1300 graphics cards), these units has completely intact lids (although have a big sticker on them on the bottom left corner, will be a pain to remove them), but the inside shows some use (nothing major, no shiny keyboards etc), mostly just I can feel that it's a little bit sticky, will have to wipe them down with some damp cleaning cloths. These two newer models were £55 each, and that is pretty much the maximum I would ever pay for a 10 year old computer. So I have my dream machine, and have 2 spare ones too. I was also thinking about buying one of these NOS t61 mobos for a couple of days, but then I weighed in everything, and it would be just way too expensive for me. Shipping is INSANE to the UK, and I also checked the DDR2 memory prices (main advantage of that mobo is being able to take 8gb), it's like £80 for 2x4 gb ddr2 laptop memory!!!! You gotta be kidding with me! But now I am glad it's so expensive, helped me completely out from my fantasizing, and I won't end up sinking a fortune into something, that's so obsolete (for my needs it will be fine, but just about). It would be an extra ~£300 (new mobo, ram, and cpu), to make my machine maybe 20% faster. And as I said I paid £35 for the whole unit, so if anything could be considered to be a bad investment, then this would certainly qualify for that.
I suppose in your case it would be a wise option to stick with the all-original T60 hardware. Frankenpadding for me has always been a tinkering passion and an envelope-pushing thing more than a pursuit of something more suitable for my needs- which is why I sold my unit when I needed the money... because I'd rather someone else have it to themselves, who can make good use of it.

DO NOT proceed with a Frankenpad mod- unless you have the funds to back it up, and at least some of the expertise in laptop maintenance and hardware to perform the mod... or consult the people who can help you. If you really don't need to make your T60 into a Frankenpad, it's best not to. But I should also note- a lot of people have these misconceptions that all-original ATI-GPU T60/ps are quite capable on their own... and modding your T60 into a Frankenpad is the farthest thing from worthwhile. Honestly- it's all down to your needs.

The point of making a T601F (T60/T61 Frankenpad) is to have the nice, big, comfortable 15" 4:3 chassis and UXGA Flexview display(and possibly the R50p's QXGA) with the T61's newer generation hardware, and NVIDIA graphics (which IS genuinely a lot more futureproofed and capable than the ATI X1300/X1400/V5200). This is a combination of hardware that CANNOT be found any other way, and really means some incredible benefits to people who have stuck with the 15" T60 ever since it was a new product from Lenovo. If you don't benefit all that much from an IPS UXGA Flexview, the Thinkpad look and aesthetic feel, or the comfort of using a laptop you're used to and works perfectly well for the sort of work you do... then there's not much reason for you to Frankenpad your T60.

And as a last note- Most of the value in a 15" T60 is mostly in that it's a 15" T60. The screen options are far better and these machines do have the potential to be made into the very acceptable and capable Frankenpads, which preserve a lot of original features, unlike the 14" T60/T61 Frankies with widescreen motherboards... which are less reliable and compromise the machine's originality far more greatly. As for how much you find them for- finding a 15" T60 for a good price is possible, but is more of a chanced thing. Some people here on the forums are quite generous and just want the laptop to go to a good owner, and you'll see some ex-corporate T60s on ebay go for below $100 Buy-It-Now. But people will pay more than that, especially for an all-original, good condition 15" T60, because most of the time... it is quite hard to find them for less than that.

RAM is always expensive if it's more dense modules, because it's a market thing. Most laptops from the era(even performance laptops) didn't have any more than 2 RAM bays, so people are always hunting for 4GB dense DDR2 RAM sticks. since 2x 4GB sticks is the only way to get 8GB, it's only fair to see 2GB sticks go for a lot cheaper than 4GB sticks.
Trying my hardest to collect Thinkpads, but college and being broke kinda gets in the way. However...
701C, 760, 770, X24, T30, G41, A31p, T43p, T60/61 Frankie, Z61p, X60 SXGA+, W700ds
MEDESSEC

and yes. I am a bit of a lunatic.

Dekks

#9 Post by Dekks » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:34 am

zoltan87 wrote:I bought my 15 inch T60 with Ati x1400, 2gb ram and a flexview 1400 x 1050 screen for £35,
I got mine with same spec for 40 quid - but you see people on ebay UK trying to sell normal 14in non ips for over £150. But i guess they are preying on the unwary.
Home - Win10/i5//Arch GNOME 3/X230 Tablet //Spectrwm X61 [Korean] - Debian 10//X32//T60p
Work - Win7/X230T

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#10 Post by wujstefan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:56 pm

This is mostly due to the fact that these systems are getting obsolete. And sorry Medessec, but I have to disagree that T60 is usable for everyday task as T61 is. Newest system with UXGA IPS is T60p. However, having in mind it upgrades to 3Gb of DDR2, 2,26GHz on 667FSB with 4Mb L2 cache and nerfed Radeon X1700 (at best) it is absolutely inferior to T61 or T61p.

T61(p) T60(p)
RAM 8Gb 3Gb
HDD SATA II SATA I
CPU 2,6GHz @ 800MHz FSB 6Mb L2 cache 2,26GHz @ 667MHz FSB 4Mb L2 cache
GPU nVidia fx570 / nvs140m / X3100 fireGL v5250 / X1400 / GMA 950

Modded and maxed T601f is just capable to perform well with current application demands, and even do some gaming with a fantastic 4:3 ratio UXGA IPS screen. And the straight-ahead mod is extremely simple. T61 mobo quality is exceptional, and with the current screen you can have aquad-core or cool&quiet Penryn P processor.

If it is actually a perfect shaped unit with perfect shaped UXGA the most of its value stays in the display (boe is worth ~2x more than ID-tech).
(stable under reduction)