Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

t61 7661 upgrades

T60/T61 Series
squirrell25

t61 7661 upgrades

#1 Post by squirrell25 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:01 am

hi all

I have recently purchased my t61 and thought I would treat it to a few upgrades

I have just taken delivery of a couple of pieces but I am going to wait till they are all here save keep opening up the machine several times

one of my upgrades is a new wi/fi card

as my card is not a Lenovo card I am going to have to install the Middleton bios
my question is I have the latest bios 2.30-1.08 do I have to downgrade my current bios in order to install the Middleton bios if as anyone got a how to

I am running window 7 ultimate 32bit

thanks

ac12
Sophomore Member

Re: t61 7661 upgrades

#2 Post by ac12 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:09 pm

I think you can apply the Middleton BIOS directly.

If you have not, here are some upgrades that I did/plan to do.
- RAM, as much as you can afford. System max is 8GB. Depending on what you do, you could see significant improvement by the system not having to swap files to/from the HD, I did.
- switch to win7-x64, to be able to use the extra RAM beyond 4GB
- SSD. Much faster OS and program loading. Size depends on what you do, I have one T61 with 120GB and that is just fine, but you might want to go up 1 step to 256GB, to give you room for future expansion. You really want the Middleton BIOS to increase the interface throughput to SATA2.
- install BlueTooth, either with a Lenovo module or a USB adapter. Makes it easier if you travel than plugging in a USB mouse.

gud luk

squirrell25

Re: t61 7661 upgrades

#3 Post by squirrell25 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:15 pm

hi
thanks
for the response I will put 4gb ram as that what I have ordered in it as any more is wasted as I cant run 64 bit windows as 1 of the programmes I run is not supported

a ssd is the next upgrade when they come down in price luckily mine with Bluetooth preinstalled

I don't think there is anymore that can be added to it