Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Significant temperature rise while using docking station

T60/T61 Series
zoltan87

Significant temperature rise while using docking station

#1 Post by zoltan87 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:51 am

So I have bought an "Advanced Mini Docking Station" for my T60. It works like a charm, takes one second to dock it and everything is ready to use as a desktop. Also has a parallel port on it which will be handy if I want to control my cnc controller with my laptop.

Problem is, temperetures are significantly higher while my system is docked.
If I use my laptop without the station, the cpu and gpu temps are the same, or the gpu a few degrees lower. When it's docked, cpu temp rises by about 3-4 degrees (that would be still acceptable), and the gpu rises around 10-13 degrees, which is a huge difference.

Is it caused because of the blocked bottom ventilation holes (not all but some)? Or the fact that it puts data through the docking port which is close to the gpu, and that area heats up? Also could the fact that my attached monitor is 1920x1200 resolution make my gpu work harder, causeing more heat?

It's frustrating as it would be a perfect solution for using my laptop as a home computer with all my peripherials attached, but I don't want to shorten my laptop's life with these significantly higher working temperatures.
Thinkpad T60, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad T601, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad T22
NEC ProSpeed SX/20

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Significant temperature rise while using docking station

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:18 pm

Both are totally possible. I would recommend using the computer without the monitor for a little while and see how temp are. Also, how high are the gpu temp anyway. If it rises from 60-70 then fine but like 80-90 then you might have a problem. Do the fans turn on when supposed to?

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

zoltan87

#3 Post by zoltan87 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:14 pm

It's not that high, from around 53 it rises to 65-ish, but it's still higher than I would like. Fan is on (I use tpfancontrol, also have undervolted cpu and modded cooling, that's why my normal temps are so low without docking). But I would like to keep it under 60. One of the main reasons for me to use the docking station is the external monitor. But will give it a try and use it docked without the monitor, see if it affects the temps.
Thinkpad T60, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad T601, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad T22
NEC ProSpeed SX/20

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:08 pm

What about getting an advanced t60 dock with the pcie slot so you can put in an external gpu. This might be outside of your price point but just wanted to mention it.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

zoltan87

#5 Post by zoltan87 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Yeah that was my first idea to get, unfortunately it's way out of my price point. It would be like £160 shipped to the UK. The one I got was £7 shipped :). If I saw it around £40 max, I would have bought it.
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad T22
NEC ProSpeed SX/20

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#6 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:34 pm

Have you tried us eBay, it is relatively cheap, 30$ us not including shipping

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:37 pm

I found a guy in new Jersey selling 2 advanced docks for 50 pounds in rough condition.

zoltan87

#8 Post by zoltan87 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:49 am

Yes doing some search I have come across a couple too within my price range, the issue is, postage from the USA is crazy expensive, it would double the price. And within the UK there is literally none on eBay or elsewhere.
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad T22
NEC ProSpeed SX/20

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by dr_st » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:57 am

zoltan87 wrote:Problem is, temperetures are significantly higher while my system is docked.
If I use my laptop without the station, the cpu and gpu temps are the same, or the gpu a few degrees lower. When it's docked, cpu temp rises by about 3-4 degrees (that would be still acceptable), and the gpu rises around 10-13 degrees, which is a huge difference.
There are two unrelated phenomena here:

1) Both CPU temps and GPU temps are a bit higher when docked. Most likely because some ventilation holes are blocked.
2) GPU temperature rises by several degrees when using DVI. This is a documented (although not fully understood) phenomenon.
zoltan87 wrote:It's frustrating as it would be a perfect solution for using my laptop as a home computer with all my peripherials attached, but I don't want to shorten my laptop's life with these significantly higher working temperatures.
Don't worry about it. It will probably not shorten your laptop's life one bit. I've been running my T60 like this for years and in a somewhat warmer climate than yours, with the stock cooler and without any undervolting (right now its idling in the dock with CPU at 66C and GPU at 67C), and it is still going strong.
Thinkpad4by3 wrote:What about getting an advanced t60 dock with the pcie slot so you can put in an external gpu.
Unless you have specific needs, it's a waste of time, money and space. Nothing I have seen in this thread justifies it, IMO.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

brchan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#10 Post by brchan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:00 am

Check your gpu and cpu speeds while on the docking station vs without. I wonder if using the dock will cause clock rates to run at maximum regardless of load.
Current Thinkpads: W530 (functional classic keyboard mod), X301, T61, T60, T43, A31p, T23, 600X, 770
Other: mk5 Toughbook cf-19, mk1 Toughbook cf-53

Dos3.1
Freshman Member

#11 Post by Dos3.1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:02 pm

Try leaving the cover open slightly while in the dock? That's what I do. Though I haven't measured the temps, it does feel a bit cooler. I'd be curious to see what the temps say if someone measures them with the lid open vs. closed.
...typed on a T60...