Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Frankenpad CCFL to LED panel conversion

T60/T61 Series
alisan
Sophomore Member

Frankenpad CCFL to LED panel conversion

#1 Post by alisan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:52 am

Hello,

I'm building a Frankenpad, I got a T60 15" in a very good condition that should arrive this week. I presume that its panel is HV150P01-100 which has a CCFL backlight. My question it is possible to convert its backlight to led, using for example this kit? Or there is an alternative kit? Anybody attempted such a conversion? I see that xiphmont kit is for x6*, not sure about the T60.

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

edit BTW I got 15" Sharp UXGA LQ150U1LW22 for 15 euros, so experimenting the led mod on that panel could be also an option.

zoltan87

Re: Frankenpad CCFL to LED panel conversion

#2 Post by zoltan87 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:27 pm

Interesting topic, one that I have been thinking about but haven't found the time to dig deeper into it. I remember doing some research, but 90% of the info was in the German Thinkpad forum, and using google translate was extremely crude. So at the end I did not manage to figure out that what kit should I get (I gathered there are more options in quite different price ranges if I remember correctly), how should I install it etc.

Also that xiphmont guy was unreachable, I tried to contact hi 3 times, no answer whatsoever. So it was a dead end for me. But this conversion is definitely on my to-do list in the future, as my ccfl backlight is getting dimmer and dimmer slowly. On max brightness is just about enough in room conditions.
Thinkpad T60, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad T601, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad T22
NEC ProSpeed SX/20

alisan
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by alisan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:50 pm

Actually after some research, I can individuate few possibilities, that personally I might going to try, sooner or later. I'm not going to touch my HV150P01-100 Frankendpad screen for now, as it is still acceptable and I'm afraid of braking it.

1) I will try this kit with my sharp display. I will be getting a spare boards to test separately without touching my Frankenpad. If this works, then LQ150U1LW22 1600X1200 UXGA LED mod will be installed on my Frankenpad, hopefully. This screen is not IPS, but very close with a satisfactory color reproduction and viewing angles, way better than any TN panel found on any laptop.

2) Digging a bit it seems there is a possibility to change the ccfl tube with more modern and brighter one, for example one from LCD parts, maybe this specific tube CCFL backlight for 15" XGA/SXGA Laptop Screen. They claim precision color match with higher brightness and contrast. The only one problem is the shipping cost is quite high to Europe for just a 9.90 usd ccfl tube.

3) Of course the wonderful HV150UX2-100 UXGA led factory screen, but it is way too expensive and requires some modifications (see RBS led mod)

Anyway I'll be posting here my findings!

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by TPFanatic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:53 pm

I am also interested in the feasibility of these kits in Thinkpads for my T500. My WUXGA's CCFL is currently very bright but it won't be forever. Sometimes I go portable with the T500 and an LED backlight will be better for outdoors and combined with my two 9 cell Panasonic batts amazing for battery life.

xiphmont

#5 Post by xiphmont » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:29 am

zoltan87 wrote: Also that xiphmont guy was unreachable, I tried to contact hi 3 times, no answer whatsoever. So it was a dead end for me. But this conversion is definitely on my to-do list in the future, as my ccfl backlight is getting dimmer and dimmer slowly. On max brightness is just about enough in room conditions.
Hi Zoltan (I'm here too BTW).

Not sure why you couldn't reach me-- maybe overzealous spam filter. PM me your email address so I can check?

In any case, I'm just starting to offer T-series kits, I've not yet updated the website to reflect this. Right now I can offer T4x, T6x, T400 and T500 for all screen sizes.

Cheers,
Monty

alisan
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by alisan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:47 am

xiphmont wrote: In any case, I'm just starting to offer T-series kits, I've not yet updated the website to reflect this. Right now I can offer T4x, T6x, T400 and T500 for all screen sizes.
Awesome news!!!

zoltan87

#7 Post by zoltan87 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:58 pm

Great news indeed! Also pm has been sent xiphmont.
Thinkpad T60, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad T601, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad T22
NEC ProSpeed SX/20