Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Why does the T60 have a centered LCD but the T61 and T500 not?

T60/T61 series specific matters only
Post Reply
Message
Author
Thinkpad4by3
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1801
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:25 am
Location: N. Bellmore, ny

Why does the T60 have a centered LCD but the T61 and T500 not?

#1 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:59 pm

Does this have anything to do with WWAN antennas? Are they swappable?
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

BigT0ny
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 2:24 pm
Location: West Sussex, UK

Re: Why does the T60 have a centered LCD but the T61 and T500 not?

#2 Post by BigT0ny » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:46 am

I think that's the reason, though I reckon it's just Lenovo trying to be cheap by making it slightly cheaper to design. Dozens of the T61s we have at work (14" 4:3) have had the smaller hinge on the right side snap, they're rubbish! :P

If you're wondering whether you can use T60 antennas on a T61 and vice versa: I swapped the whole display assembly from a T60 into a T61 chassis and it worked fine! I think some units will have three antenna wires for WLAN, though I don't think the third wire is always needed - maybe someone with more experience can chime in? :idea:
W520 + CF-W9 :help:

dr_st
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:20 am

Re: Why does the T60 have a centered LCD but the T61 and T500 not?

#3 Post by dr_st » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:52 am

Because whoever designed the 61/400/500 generation was obviously just a bad designer with zero sense of aesthetics.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), X1 Carbon (20HQ), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG, X61 7673-V2V
T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad, A21m 2628-GXU

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin
Posts: 19369
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:17 am
Location: Mt. Cobb, PA
Contact:

Re: Why does the T60 have a centered LCD but the T61 and T500 not?

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:22 am

Presumably that tasteless designer's name was David Hill...
The same creep who gave us the X230/T430/T530 keyboard disaster! :evil:

Thinkpad4by3
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1801
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:25 am
Location: N. Bellmore, ny

Re: Why does the T60 have a centered LCD but the T61 and T500 not?

#5 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:30 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:Presumably that tasteless designer's name was David Hill...
The same creep who gave us the X230/T430/T530 keyboard disaster! :evil:
The xx30 keyboard never bothered be, the xx40 did. When I can't reload a youtube page and change the volume without dealing with the Fn key, Im good to go.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge
Posts: 16277
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:28 am
Location: Brodheadsville, Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Why does the T60 have a centered LCD but the T61 and T500 not?

#6 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:31 am

dr_st wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:52 am
Because whoever designed the 61/400/500 generation was obviously just a bad designer with zero sense of aesthetics.
QFT.

I don't see what WWAN antennae would have to do with anything in this respect, though.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

AARP club members:A31p,T43pSF

Abused daily: T61p

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

TPFanatic
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1076
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:29 pm
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

Re: Why does the T60 have a centered LCD but the T61 and T500 not?

#7 Post by TPFanatic » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:29 pm

A very poor design choice. For whatever reason they had trouble placing Wwan antennae and 3rd Wlan antenna inside the lid. The previous model Z60, Z61, T60, X60, and X61 laptops have them outside the lid. They must have thought that was really ugly, so for the T61 they came up with the asymmetrical bezel design to fit the WWAN antennae inside the lid.

At the same time they integrated the plastic case over magnesium frame design in the lid, and the outer lid casing should be one piece of plastic, negating the need for T40/R50esque plastic cutouts that provided a window for better antenna reception in previous Thinkpads with metal lids. Yet they chose to maintain this aesthetic as it indicated antenna placement, so they stuck on the front bezel, resulting in the very ugly design we love to hate.

The 15.4" T60 and the T410 screens are also not completely centered, but they have very clean, plain front bezels. The post-CS09 Thinkpads are very aesthetically pleasing compared to the early Lenovo Thinkpads.
lenovo X230 i5 3320m IPS 8GB
lenovo T430 i5 3320m FHD 8GB
lenovo T500 P9700 WUXGA 8GB


Enable 2 finger scroll on any Synaptics touchpads with registry: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122612

Thinkpad4by3
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1801
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:25 am
Location: N. Bellmore, ny

Re: Why does the T60 have a centered LCD but the T61 and T500 not?

#8 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:14 pm

TPFanatic wrote:A very poor design choice. For whatever reason they had trouble placing Wwan antennae and 3rd Wlan antenna inside the lid. The previous model Z60, Z61, T60, X60, and X61 laptops have them outside the lid. They must have thought that was really ugly, so for the T61 they came up with the asymmetrical bezel design to fit the WWAN antennae inside the lid.

At the same time they integrated the plastic case over magnesium frame design in the lid, and the outer lid casing should be one piece of plastic, negating the need for T40/R50esque plastic cutouts that provided a window for better antenna reception in previous Thinkpads with metal lids. Yet they chose to maintain this aesthetic as it indicated antenna placement, so they stuck on the front bezel, resulting in the very ugly design we love to hate.

The 15.4" T60 and the T410 screens are also not completely centered, but they have very clean, plain front bezels. The post-CS09 Thinkpads are very aesthetically pleasing compared to the early Lenovo Thinkpads.
Well my guess was right :)
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

TPFanatic
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1076
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:29 pm
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

Re: Why does the T60 have a centered LCD but the T61 and T500 not?

#9 Post by TPFanatic » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:38 pm

Kind of. Lenovo had no trouble putting WWAN antennas inside post CS09 Thinkpad lids, probably because the lids became thinner and were made of stronger materials after this time.
lenovo X230 i5 3320m IPS 8GB
lenovo T430 i5 3320m FHD 8GB
lenovo T500 P9700 WUXGA 8GB


Enable 2 finger scroll on any Synaptics touchpads with registry: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122612

Thinkpad4by3
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1801
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:25 am
Location: N. Bellmore, ny

Re: Why does the T60 have a centered LCD but the T61 and T500 not?

#10 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:42 pm

TPFanatic wrote:Kind of. Lenovo had no trouble putting WWAN antennas inside post CS09 Thinkpad lids, probably because the lids became thinner and were made of stronger materials after this time.
What exactly is CS09?
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

TPFanatic
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1076
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:29 pm
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

Re: Why does the T60 have a centered LCD but the T61 and T500 not?

#11 Post by TPFanatic » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:39 pm

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:42 pm

What exactly is CS09?

Clean Slate 2009 refers to the T400s and subsequent Thinkpads with the enlarged Escape and Delete keys. Starting with these Thinkpads you can tell Lenovo cared more about the T-series's aesthetics than before. T410 and T510 are much nicer looking than T500, for example.
lenovo X230 i5 3320m IPS 8GB
lenovo T430 i5 3320m FHD 8GB
lenovo T500 P9700 WUXGA 8GB


Enable 2 finger scroll on any Synaptics touchpads with registry: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122612

Thinkpad4by3
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1801
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:25 am
Location: N. Bellmore, ny

Re: Why does the T60 have a centered LCD but the T61 and T500 not?

#12 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:16 pm

Now that you say that I do see the difference. You learn something new every day.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “ThinkPad T6x Series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests