Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Quick Question Reg. Additional Software Testing of a FrankenPad (for Upcoming Marketplace Listing)

T60/T61 Series
TheAuldMan76

Quick Question Reg. Additional Software Testing of a FrankenPad (for Upcoming Marketplace Listing)

#1 Post by TheAuldMan76 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:46 pm

Evening All, I'm presently rebuilding a FrankenPad (T61 15" UXGA, T9500 CPU, 8GB RAM, Intel 6205 WiFi, 240GB SSD & 750GB HDD, via 2nd HDD Caddy) for listing for sale here on the Marketplace - the plan right now is to get W7 Pro installed onto it (along with patching the OS & running device driver updates via Lenovo System Update) and then use the Lenovo Tools along with the Crystal Disk Info, HD Tune Pro & HD Sentinel utilities to carry out diagnostic reporting on the bundled hardware.

Is there any other software utilities that I should be running on the FrankenPad (i.e. MemTest86, Prime95, etc) to include those additional results on the sale listing?

Just want to check before I start kicking it all off, as I really want to make sure that everything is covered.
X200s (MTN: 7470-DH5)
WXGA+ LED LCD, L9400 CPU, 8GB RAM, 480GB SSD & 2TB HDD (via Ultrabase Docking Station)

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Quick Question Reg. Additional Software Testing of a FrankenPad (for Upcoming Marketplace Listing)

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:47 pm

Use AIDA64 for testing temperatures.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Quick Question Reg. Additional Software Testing of a FrankenPad (for Upcoming Marketplace Listing)

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:13 pm

People will want to know the mobo P/N or FRU, to see if it is natively Penryn-capable.
You should install Middleton's BIOS.
And most important: what is the manufacturing date of the mobo, especially if it has nVidia graphics.
If nVidia, you'll also need to test that mobo's GPU with Furmark for say 8 hours or more.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

TheAuldMan76

#4 Post by TheAuldMan76 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:26 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:13 pm
People will want to know the mobo P/N or FRU, to see if it is natively Penryn-capable.
You should install Middleton's BIOS.
And most important: what is the manufacturing date of the mobo, especially if it has nVidia graphics.
If nVidia, you'll also need to test that mobo's GPU with Furmark for say 8 hours or more.
Thanks for that RBS - I will be including all of that info in the listing, which hopefully I'll get done tomorrow (family drama today!).
X200s (MTN: 7470-DH5)
WXGA+ LED LCD, L9400 CPU, 8GB RAM, 480GB SSD & 2TB HDD (via Ultrabase Docking Station)