Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Exterior Screw Replacement

T60/T61 series specific matters only

Exterior Screw Replacement

#1 Post by Toadywot » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:30 am

My T61 ThinkPad is missing several screws from the bottom of the unit and a couple that are there are not the correct type. I purchased an full set of the screws specific to the T61 model to replace the missing ones; unfortunately a diagram of which screws go where was not provided. I've searched the Internet hoping to find such a diagram..,.no luck there....and the documentation that came with the laptop does not include anything that can help with the correct placement/replacement of the screws. The unit was new when it was purchased in 2003 and still operates beautifully today; however I periodically get an error message regarding the ejection of the DVD-CD rom drive which I've tentatively attributed to one of the missing screws.

In a nutshell, I need a diagram that indicates which screws go into which recess. There are assorted sizes in the replacement set, which I expected and a search for a document with a diagram of placement has not been successful. Granted, the unit is an old one, but surely there is something somewhere that contains what I need to properly place the screws on the bottom of it. Can someone please direct me to a link that has the diagram I need? I'd be most appreciative!!

Re: Exterior Screw Replacement

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:57 pm

Have you read the Hardware Maintenance Manual for your particular Thinkpad model?
Daily driver: X220 4291-C91 i7-2620M

Backup: X220 4291-P79 i5-2520M
In pieces: X60s CS U1300 [board only], two retired but working X61Ts
RIP: 760XD 9546-U9E, X61 T7500