Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

missing components with spare wires inside?

T60/T61 Series
n2ri
Sophomore Member

missing components with spare wires inside?

#1 Post by n2ri » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:46 am

I own an T61 and W500 and both have at least 1 space inside with extra unused wires. what are tese spaces for? one is in front of Fan near PCMCIA slots and other smaller spaces and wires with connectors just laying inside. can I add something to these?

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: missing components with spare wires inside?

#2 Post by wujstefan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:27 am

WWAN card, for instance :) Take a quick glimpse on T60 hardware manual, it is in there :)
Too many thinkpads not enough time!
(stable under reduction)

n2ri
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by n2ri » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:17 pm

nope its there. the big empty space with at least 3 wires nearby is between fan and PCMCIA slots bay

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:58 pm

That space IS for the WWAN card. Look here between CPU-socket and cage: http://www.ebay.com/itm/162583850907
The red/blue wires in your machine are the antenna wires for it.
Any black wires are from the modem.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

n2ri
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by n2ri » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:07 am

then why do mune both have that card installed up by the SIM slot? wifi and blue toothe radios both work and the W500 has SIM also installed. so must be old model stuff or something like longer cards since other space is shorter. my T61p spare board has same slots but I dont know what was dif with T61p over T61?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:27 am

Both T61 and W500 have the WWAN slot with red/blue antenna wires at roughly the same place, between CPU-socket and PCMCIA-cage.
The SIM-slot sits near the WLAN card, a.k.a. wifi card with grey/black or grey/black/white antenna wires.

n2ri
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by n2ri » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:13 pm

AH, maybe I dont understand what an WWAN card is/does then. also is Bluetooth part of the WIFI card?

n2ri
Sophomore Member

#8 Post by n2ri » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:19 pm

so my W500 has a Sim card built in but only wires to the WWAN slot, is the SIM card slot able to work without the WWAN card installed? and would I need a service contract for both?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#9 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:29 pm

BT in W500 is a separate module.

WWAN & WLAN: http://www8.hp.com/h30458/ww/en/smb/927462.html

You should perhaps read up on how laptops work.
And Google is your friend...

n2ri
Sophomore Member

#10 Post by n2ri » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:49 pm

TY read it last post, still didnt explain on our TPs like if the SIM card module is only an interface for the WWAN card. also Google nor Youtube have much on this type info. ebay only raises more questions like where does a Turbo Memory card module go and how is it used. its a small card and I see 2 spots it could go but maybe for specific MB series? and near zero info on differences between an T61 and T61P, as I am cannibalizing whats left of a T61P for my T61 but disply swap left things darker than before. my T61 was getting the Pink on White background and now total black screen also the 2 LEDs for WIFI/BT no longer lite but other LED indicators still do. this seems odd even if the T61P display was bad. and I do understand how Laptops work and especialy the Thinkpads just trying to learn more details on my Fav models.

why else would I continue to pursue them with my 2 Professional IT Sons always slamming me for keeping/messing with the "Ol POS TP Junk, instead of buying a new/Better Laptop" they just never had the joy of owning an IBM Laptop. My latest reply to their badgering is "because I dont have $10,000 for a Preditor X or a Commercial Electric panel in my Home for the 600 Watts of PSU ROFLMAO

n2ri
Sophomore Member

#11 Post by n2ri » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:14 pm

I am also having an issue with my W500 (I fixed the heat paste overheat issue) sometimes mostly when using Media player of fast online games its display sudenly begins to flicker and jerk windows around or UN-minimize some windows then once I saw a popup warning very breifly about Graphic controller stopped responding and trying to autocorrect before going black and rebooting. this happens very fast like under 5 secs start to end. I am running TPFC so I was able to see all temps were normal well under 60c. I am concerned for the MB on both my T61 and W500 if their respective issues related to GPU are signs of it failing as they are built onto MB that would be end of road for them I think. HOPE I am wrong as I have them loaded perfectly for all my uses and hate to start all over with another Laptop that likely wont run all my peripherals and Apps. I run Win XPsp3 32 on the T61 and Win7 64 on the W500. the W500 mostly is just faster for newer Apps/Games/Browsing and standby for the T61 which is my goto main unit (albiet no display ATM).

I have a couple dif models of the Old Butterfly TPs 701c/701cs owned since the 90s. I would gladly swap the 701cs for parts to get my T61 going again if any collectors interestd. the 701c has upgraded MB 133mhz from its 50mhz PCU and 40mb RAM, Dock II with CD and NOS tape drive and Game card installed plus original TP carry case so its family now hehe. got scores of PCMCIA cards etc. yeah I been around TPs a while ;^)

this is just the ONLY place I can find other dihard TP fans to brainstorm with.

Ryccardo

#12 Post by Ryccardo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:12 pm

n2ri wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:49 pm
still didnt explain on our TPs like if the SIM card module is only an interface for the WWAN card.
Some models are "WWAN ready" meaning they have red+blue antennas and SIM slot but no actual cellular modem (no idea about back then, but today's LTE cards are over 120 dollars retail!), some don't have even that...
n2ri wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:49 pm
ebay only raises more questions like where does a Turbo Memory card module go and how is it used.
For T61's, it goes in the WWAN socket (some other computers have a 3rd minipciexpress socket dedicated to Turbo Memory or UWB/Wireless USB), for this same reason we can use actual pci express devices in the WWAN socket (WWAN and Bluetooth cards are almost invariably USB)
Thinkcentre M73 tiny (i3 4130T, 8GB, 480GB) + Fujitsu E19-5
X201 (i5 520, 4GB, 500GB)
Retired: T61 (T7500, 4GB, 0GB, DVD-RW) + Advanced Mini Dock + tens of dead pixels