Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T61p Intel 82566MM Gigabit NIC Upgrade Question

T60/T61 Series
eecon

T61p Intel 82566MM Gigabit NIC Upgrade Question

#1 Post by eecon » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi Folks .... Has anyone attempted to update their T61p unit's Intel 82566MM Gigabit NIC Lenovo Driver v9.12.42.0 dated 2009 to Intel's Official Final-Release for Windows-XP Software/Driver Package Dated April/May 2013 (I'm using WinXP Pro 32-bit on this particular unit ... I have two T61p units with the other one running Win7pro 64-bit and no issues with IPv6 and Webroot A/V as described below).

Here are the Intel Driver Page and the Read Me links:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... duct=34457

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/18717/eng/readme.txt

I have an older version 14.5 of the Intel Network Connections Drivers showing in my Control Panel's Installed Program and upon an attempted installation of the newer Installation of the downloaded Intel Software/Driver pack it reports I first need to uninstall the older version 14.5 before installing the newer version 18.3 Pack and halts the installation .... as I expected from reading the newer Intel Driver info at the links above.

Reason I ask is because I'm having problems with Webroot's SecureAnywhere Antivirus after I finally enabled IPv6 (in Native Mode) along with the Router's IPv6 Firewall for the very first time about 2 weeks ago (along with installing and enabling Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6 Protocol within WinXP). The router is a 5 or 6 year old ASUS RT-N56U Dual Band with wireless always disabled as I don't do wireless. Also, I have the latest 2017 Router FW. I've been using this router for years with IPv4 and Webroot on WinXP Pro with no problems.

So after receiving an IPv6 IP from my cable modem and provider all was good for a few hours and then Webroot's real-time A/V monitoring started going bonkers and would lock up the system. I discovered that if I disabled IPv6 on the Router (along with it's IPv6 Firewall and regardless of whether or not I have Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6 within WinXP enabled or not), that I have no trouble from the same Webroot's product that I've been using for years with IPv4.

I've been in regular contact with a Webroot Sr. Escalation Tech Support Engineer who has had me try everything from complete uninstalls and reinstalls, etc.
He suspects it may be my nearly 9 year old Lenovo/Intel NIC driver and asked me to fully backup my system and them try the newer Intel Final WinXP Release driver set and software pack from 2013 which is linked above. He was quite interested in this issue as the latest version of Webroot may have compatibility issues with Windows XP using IPv6 and will he be doing his own testing as we speak.

Two questions if I may please:

1. Has anyone tried this kind swap-out of the older most recent Lenovo 2009/2010 NIC driver release ... i.e. first uninstalling Intel Network Connections Drivers v14.5 from Add/Remove Programs in WinXP's Control Panel, and then running the Intel 2013 v18.3 Package as instructed by the Intel Readme.txt link above to successfully install the newer Intel v18.3 PROSet software and the more recent 2013 Intel Driver?

2. Regardless of whether or not this solves my Webroot's issues with IPv6 under WinXP, would there be any benefit to updating that nearly 9 year old Lenovo issued driver to the newer Intel Generic driver (about 4 years newer)?

I'll have the same question of whether it is advisable and easy to update the T61p's last and latest Nvidia FX-570M driver from early 2009 (v6.14.11.7874) to one of the newer Nivida Reference Drivers like the 300 series Quadro drivers, etc. I'll start that in a new fresh post.

Thanks Folks for all the help over the years :thumbs-UP:
Two - T61p 15.4" WS T9300 2.5Ghz units, August 2008 08/08 Builds + Nvidia FX570M GPUs, One - T42 15" Flexview 1.8GHz + ATI GPU for travel, Two - T500 15.4" T9600 & T9400 CPUs with ATI HD3650 GPUs, One - Stupidly Fast W520 15.6" i7-2860QM + Nvidia 2000M GPU + Series 3 Dock w/USB 3.0