Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Undervolting with PIN mod, any schematics out there for CPU?

T60/T61 Series
zoltan87

Undervolting with PIN mod, any schematics out there for CPU?

#1 Post by zoltan87 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:59 pm

Using software for undervolting, the achievable minimum voltage for most Core 2 Duo cpus is 0.95 volt. This is not ideal, as I can already use this on the 12x multiplier, I would like to go under that value on the lower multipliers.

Turns out, it's achievable with a pin mod, connecting two pins together. I have been reading and googling for hours now, but I just can't find a proper schematic for the pinout of Intel T7600 cpu. As a matter of fact I am not even sure whether it is socket m or socket p (not that I managed to find any info for any of them), there is just no information out there that would give a straight answer, Intel's website , Wikipedia, and multiple other forums all bring up socket names, that somehow always differ in certain letters, or are completely different. There is complete chaos in my head.

Does anyone have schematics for my cpu, or any idea where I should look for?
Thinkpad T60, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad T601, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad T22
NEC ProSpeed SX/20

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Undervolting with PIN mod, any schematics out there for CPU?

#2 Post by Cigarguy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:18 pm

Highly doubt Intel would release such info. At best it's someone putting together a suedo-schematic based on trial and error.

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by rkawakami » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:07 pm

The first reference that comes up with a "intel t7600 cpu pinout" Google search is this:

http://download.intel.com/design/mobile ... 407804.pdf

Section 4 lists the pinout, although there does not seem to be any documentation about undervolting (done by searching the .PDF).
Ray Kawakami
X22 X24 X31 X41 X41T X60 X60s X61 X61s X200 X200s X300 X301 Z60m Z61t Z61p 560 560Z 600 600E 600X T21 T22 T23 T41 T60p T410 T420 T520 W500 W520 R50 A21p A22p A31 A31p
NOTE: All links to PC-Doctor software hosted by me are dead. Files removed 8/28/12 by manufacturer's demand.

zoltan87

#4 Post by zoltan87 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:31 am

rkawakami wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:07 pm
The first reference that comes up with a "intel t7600 cpu pinout" Google search is this:

http://download.intel.com/design/mobile ... 407804.pdf

Section 4 lists the pinout, although there does not seem to be any documentation about undervolting (done by searching the .PDF).
You are a legend!!! This is what I was looking for. I came across data sheets for Yonah and a couple of newer cpus, but somehow I missed this one, probably I was googling with the wrong key words.

Anyhow, now I just have to make sure I understand correctly the things involved in this mod. This is the thread where I read about these things:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads ... -2.365230/

Using CPUgenie software for undervolting at the moment, these are the values I have:

Multiplier ______ Voltage (VID)
6-12 ___________ 0.950V
13 _____________ 0.987V
14 _____________ 1.025V

As you can see, on most multipliers I could go under 0.95v, but with using software only, unfortunately it's not possible. You have to physically connect two of the pins to trick the cpu, and force it to use lower voltages. Unfortunately there is a downside for this mod: a part of the voltage range won't be available after the mod, between 0.9125v and 1.1000v including 0.9125v and 1.1000v.

So, as I understand it, this pin mod would NOT help with temperatures and power consumption on the highest clock speeds, as some of the voltage options that these frequencies would use, will be unavailable. You can still run on these frequencies, but your voltage on these multipliers will be above 1.1000v.
But if you use your cpu underclocked anyway, then it would still be beneficial for you:
For example I use my T60 underclocked to 2ghz, and it's stable with 0.95v there (this is just software undervolting). Now, if I did the ViD4 to Vcc pin mod, I would lose the voltages between 0.9125v and 1.1000v.
This means, that my cpu running at 2ghz and above, would be using voltage above 1.1v.

BUT, if I underclock my cpu, and use it on max 1834 Mhz ( on 2 Ghz it's stable with 0.95v, I assume that running on 1834 Mhz it would be stable under 0.9125v, obviously it would need to be tested), then it will be able to use the lowered voltages on all of its used multipliers, and on idle it would use 0.75v only! That's a significant difference from the 0.95v it is on now. This -0.2v difference would stand only in case of ViD4 mod (there are more options there, like using ViD3 pin instead of ViD4).

The thread I linked earlier worth a reading, it's only 4 pages long, and makes things clear, unlike my post here :). Unfortunately the linked PDF document links in it are dead, that was one of the reasons I needed to find documentation for the pinout on my Merom cpu.
Thinkpad T60, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad T601, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad T22
NEC ProSpeed SX/20

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by axur-delmeria » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:24 am

The question is, will it be stable at 0.75v?
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

zoltan87

#6 Post by zoltan87 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:59 am

I quick update: Unfortunately I was not able to do this mod. The two pins thatt need to be connected are not adjacent to each other, but are about 4 pins apart, and unfortunately they are not on the outermost row either. This is a problem, as it means that I would need to route the connecting wire piece through that distance WITHOUT touching any other pins on the way. This is clearly impossible. I tried to use an insulated piece of wire (from an old ide cable I separated one strand for this purpose). Even though it looks very thin, the insulation around the cable makes it too thick, and as a result I can't reseat the cpu in the socket if it's there.

It's really frustrating, as I really wanted to try out whether this mod would work, and I could indeed run my T60 with an effectively ultra low voltage processor. I am going to do some googling later on, I might be able to find some extremely thin (around 36-40 AWG maybe ) wire that is insulated.

I also saw a post about possibly using an ULV Intel Core Duo U7700 cpu. Problem is, it has to be a PGA version for socket M, and what I have found so far on Alibaba all seem very vague about whether they are BGA or PGA versions.

Also just an observation, I realised that in BIOS you can disable multi-core processing. Obviously for everyday use you don't want to do that, as the performance hit would be too severe, but if I was just playing some older games like Starcraft, Simcity 4, etc., I wonder how much more battery life I could get this way. Or maybe these systems are already intelligent enough to virtually eliminate the second core's power consumption, when it's not in use?

So my quest continues.
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad T22
NEC ProSpeed SX/20

NonesensE
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by NonesensE » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:57 pm

zoltan87 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:59 am
This is a problem, as it means that I would need to route the connecting wire piece through that distance WITHOUT touching any other pins on the way. This is clearly impossible. I tried to use an insulated piece of wire (from an old ide cable I separated one strand for this purpose). Even though it looks very thin, the insulation around the cable makes it too thick, and as a result I can't reseat the cpu in the socket if it's there.
Try thin magnet wire :wink:
Sometimes coming over from the German forum...
X62s 3rd batch, [s]T61[/s] T70 14" 4:3 1st batch

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#8 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:04 pm

And since T60 motherboards are so cheap, you could make a groove in the CPU-socket for that wire.
Get another non-working mobo first to practise on.
Make sure no dust ends up in the pin-holes!

zoltan87

#9 Post by zoltan87 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:17 pm

NonesensE wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:57 pm

Try thin magnet wire :wink:
Wow, that is exactly what I was looking for, a thin wire with extremely thin insulation. This might will work, especially if I combine it with RealBlackStuff's idea of a small groove in the socket. I am pretty sure I have a spare T60 board somewhere, will try to experiment on that one.

And as a side question, have any of you guys heard about these processors?

http://it.os-store.com/intel-core-duo-u ... re=default

It's supposed to be this : Intel Core Duo U7700 SLAUR SLA6X Mobile CPU Processor Socket M PGA BGA479 1.33GHz 2MB 533Mhz for 945 chipset.
There seem to be a PGA (pin grid array) version of it!? I thought these processors were all BGA? Any idea if it's real, and if so, do you think they could work in a T60 (I know the BIOS has to contain the microcode for given cpu)?
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad T22
NEC ProSpeed SX/20

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#10 Post by axur-delmeria » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:22 pm

BGA479 is simply Socket M minus the pins. Some were resourceful enough to solder pins onto the BGA package.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry: