Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad Fan control on T61p

T60/T61 Series
Bready_To.Toast

Thinkpad Fan control on T61p

#1 Post by Bready_To.Toast » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:05 am

Should i use TPFancontrol on my T61p, even with fresh thermal paste and making sure the paste covers the entire GPU die it still goes up to 84C and its annoying, besides killing my fan is there any other risks I should look out for

fatpolomanjr
Sophomore Member

Re: Thinkpad Fan control on T61p

#2 Post by fatpolomanjr » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:07 am

Bready_To.Toast wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:05 am
Should i use TPFancontrol on my T61p, even with fresh thermal paste and making sure the paste covers the entire GPU die it still goes up to 84C and its annoying, besides killing my fan is there any other risks I should look out for
84C under load? Are you sure the heat sink is making full contact with the gpu and cpu? That sounds pretty hot unless you're running a quadcore processor or something like that.
T14s | AUO 14" FHD Low Power 400 nit | Ryzen 7 4750u | Windows 10
T70 | 15" UXGA LED with RealBlackStuff LED-Cable-Mod | i7-7700HQ | Windows 10
X62 | 12.1" SXGA+ Xiphmont LED | i7-5500U | Xubuntu / Windows 10

NonesensE
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by NonesensE » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:03 am

Have you cleaned the fan? You have to open the fan assembly to remove the dust from the inside, just blowing through it isn't enough.

To further reduce the heat and prolong the life of your nVidia graphics, use an undervolting bios.
Sometimes coming over from the German forum...
X62s 3rd batch, [s]T61[/s] T70 14" 4:3 1st batch

Bready_To.Toast

#4 Post by Bready_To.Toast » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:16 pm

I have realized that i haven't put out any updates in a long time so heres some things to clarify

1. the GPU was reaching 91C some times and when I pulled the cooler off I noticed that the Thermal paste on the GPU did not fully cover the GPU die and left a portion of the left side of the GPU die uncovered, after spreading the existing paste around and putting a VERY small pea on top of the spreaded paste temps dropped by 6C under load

2. after a couple of attempts I got thinkpad fan control to work and I realized that my thinkpad would passively run itself until the GPU reached 70C and at that temp the fans kicked to the very first settings, I edited the config file of TPFancontrol to start with windows and automatically put the fan mode to manual and at the highest speed (7) now initial load temps are 72C and prolonged load temps (1-3 hours) hovered around 83-80C but idle temps are now as low as 50C thee temps are all with a overclock with 580MHz on the Core and the memory running at 900-something MHz

3. I regularly clean my fans and give my entire computer an entire wipe down with rubbing alcohol every 3 months, when i get my arctic silver 5 in the mail I will be swapping the paste on the CPU and GPU with Silver 5 and replacing the northbridges thermal pad with MX-2

Raidriar
Freshman Member

#5 Post by Raidriar » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:44 am

Bready_To.Toast wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:16 pm
I have realized that i haven't put out any updates in a long time so heres some things to clarify

1. the GPU was reaching 91C some times and when I pulled the cooler off I noticed that the Thermal paste on the GPU did not fully cover the GPU die and left a portion of the left side of the GPU die uncovered, after spreading the existing paste around and putting a VERY small pea on top of the spreaded paste temps dropped by 6C under load

2. after a couple of attempts I got thinkpad fan control to work and I realized that my thinkpad would passively run itself until the GPU reached 70C and at that temp the fans kicked to the very first settings, I edited the config file of TPFancontrol to start with windows and automatically put the fan mode to manual and at the highest speed (7) now initial load temps are 72C and prolonged load temps (1-3 hours) hovered around 83-80C but idle temps are now as low as 50C thee temps are all with a overclock with 580MHz on the Core and the memory running at 900-something MHz

3. I regularly clean my fans and give my entire computer an entire wipe down with rubbing alcohol every 3 months, when i get my arctic silver 5 in the mail I will be swapping the paste on the CPU and GPU with Silver 5 and replacing the northbridges thermal pad with MX-2
I used Antec formula 7 on CPU and GPU, Arctic Silver 5 has long been dethroned from top paste status. A thicker diamond type paste such as Formula 7 or ICD 7 will help with an improper fitting heatsink over the GPU. The CPU and GPU share heatpipes, so CPU heat will affect GPU and vice versa. It is imperative that you use the undervolted GPU BIOS and also undervolt your CPU. For example, I run a T9500 at full clock speed (2.6GHz) at 1.0250, a major voltage reduction from 1.175V. I can run it at 2.2 GHz at the lowest possible voltage setting of 0.9250V, which is incredible for keeping performance up, while keeping temperatures down, and battery life up! I can easily navigate the web and watch videos online at this clock speed, and the GPU never exceeds 65C. If I am rendering something using full GPU power and max fan speed, GPU temp never cracks 70 degC.
Thinkpads: 760XD, 600E, T23, T30, T43p, T61p
Alienwares: M17x R1, M17x R2, M18x R1, M18x R2, Alienware 18
Razers: Razer Blade Pro 2017 FHD