Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

T60/T61 series specific matters only
Message
Author
storm-chaser
Freshman Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: Schenectady, NY

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#31 Post by storm-chaser » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:12 pm

ac12 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:34 am
How is the computer standing up over time?
Putting RAM modules and CPUs on a beadspread is just asking for trouble.
There is a reason the manufacturers specify static safe handing procedures.
These things are static sensitive, and damage is sometimes subtle.
Update ---> I had to replace the wireless card today. This is the Intel 4965AGN unit and I noticed that after a couple hours of use it would randomly disconnect me from the wireless network (Skynet) and I would have to reboot. Power-cycling the network card would not help. Another issue was after waking up the computer from a sleep state the wireless card would automatically boot me from the network and the only way to resolve this was to reboot the machine. I thought this could be a potential ESD issue, however, after discussing with the previous owner he said this was a known issue with the machine and he thought that it was simply a driver issue. So I replaced with a good spare and so far so good! No random disconnects, no problems!

EDIT: I had to bump the voltage @ 3.2ghz clock speed up to 1.1875v. I was getting occasional BSODs at the lower voltage of 1.1625. Temps run anywhere from 100-110*F at idle and 140-150 under average load. Still well within specifications.
AMD Phenom II 965 @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
AMD Phenom II 960T @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
Lenovo T61p 15.4" - Core 2 extreme X9000 CPU @ 3.4Ghz, SSD
Toshiba Satellite A505D - 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, 80GB SSD

storm-chaser
Freshman Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: Schenectady, NY

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#32 Post by storm-chaser » Mon May 07, 2018 7:37 pm

https://image.ibb.co/eOuh3n/Lenovo_T61beastmode.png

After some further tweaking I was able to hit 4.2Ghz with some success. However, as soon as CPU utilization goes above 10 % the temps spike no matter what fan profile I'm running. Even when it's set at 4500rpm I'm having difficulty removing the heat fast enough. This seems to parallel the Chernobyl disaster - when operators in the control room intentionally shut down all safety measures to perform a turbine run-down or bleed down to measure residual power output , they put the reactor in an unsafe configuration which lead to xenon poisoning and a positive void coefficient, priming the reactor to embark on a positive feedback loop, effectively boiling off the remaining coolant from within the reactor itself thus leading to two massive steam explosions, flipping the reactor's giant 2,000-ton concrete lid into the air like a coin. White-hot chunks of the nuclear core rained down on adjacent buildings, setting fires and peppering the ground outside, resulting in a nuclear-graphite fire burned for days and near total destruction of the reactor core resulting in massive releases of radioactive material into the environment.

For anyone that's interested here is a pretty good summary of the disaster itself -- credits to Wikipedia:
"The subsequent course of events was not registered by instruments; it is known only as a result of mathematical simulation. Apparently, the power spike caused an increase in fuel temperature and steam buildup, leading to a rapid increase in steam pressure. This caused the fuel cladding to fail, releasing the fuel elements into the coolant, and rupturing the channels in which these elements were located.
Then, according to some estimations, the reactor jumped to around 30,000 MW thermal, ten times the normal operational output. The last reading on the control panel was 33,000 MW. It was not possible to reconstruct the precise sequence of the processes that led to the destruction of the reactor and the power unit building, but a steam explosion, like the explosion of a steam boiler from excess vapor pressure, appears to have been the next event. There is a general understanding that it was explosive steam pressure from the damaged fuel channels escaping into the reactor's exterior cooling structure that caused the explosion that destroyed the reactor casing, tearing off and blasting the upper plate, to which the entire reactor assembly is fastened, through the roof of the reactor building. This is believed to be the first explosion that many heard. This explosion ruptured further fuel channels, as well as severing most of the coolant lines feeding the reactor chamber, and as a result the remaining coolant flashed to steam and escaped the reactor core. The total water loss in combination with a high positive void coefficient further increased the reactor's thermal power.
A second, more powerful explosion occurred about two or three seconds after the first; this explosion dispersed the damaged core and effectively terminated the nuclear chain reaction. This explosion also compromised more of the reactor containment vessel and ejected hot lumps of graphite moderator. The ejected graphite and the demolished channels still in the remains of the reactor vessel caught fire on exposure to air, greatly contributing to the spread of radioactive fallout and the contamination of outlying areas.
According to observers outside Unit 4, burning lumps of material and sparks shot into the air above the reactor. Some of them fell onto the roof of the machine hall and started a fire. About 25 percent of the red-hot graphite blocks and overheated material from the fuel channels was ejected. Parts of the graphite blocks and fuel channels were out of the reactor building. As a result of the damage to the building an airflow through the core was established by the high temperature of the core. The air ignited the hot graphite and started a graphite fire.
After the larger explosion, a number of employees at the power station went outside to get a clearer view of the extent of the damage. One such survivor, Alexander Yuvchenko, recounts that once he stopped outside and looked up towards the reactor hall, he saw a "very beautiful" LASER-like beam of light bluish light caused by the ionization of air that appeared to "flood up into infinity".
Lets hope my laptop isn't next ;)
AMD Phenom II 965 @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
AMD Phenom II 960T @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
Lenovo T61p 15.4" - Core 2 extreme X9000 CPU @ 3.4Ghz, SSD
Toshiba Satellite A505D - 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, 80GB SSD

storm-chaser
Freshman Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: Schenectady, NY

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#33 Post by storm-chaser » Mon May 07, 2018 9:13 pm

Not sure why I cannot edit the last post.

I resized the picture to conform to the rather extensive forum image restrictions:

Huge-size PNG: https://image.ibb.co/dC9ApS/Lenovo_T61beastmode.png

PNG converted to much smaller-size JPG: https://imgur.com/a/dVvGiDd


Admin warning:
that original picture was WAY too big (1,387.38 KB), that's why the tags were removed.
Please read the Forum Rules again, especially Section 5: https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14339
Even after your "resizing", your picture is still too big: 627.45 KB, allowed is 50 KB.
Hint: just only converting it from .png to .jpg would reduce its size already from 627.45 KB to 69.8 KB (see above).
As a linked picture, checking 69 KB [e.g. via smartphone] would be much more palatable than 627 KB.
And your previous (and this) post are blocked from editing exactly because of you ignoring the Forum Rules.
AMD Phenom II 965 @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
AMD Phenom II 960T @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
Lenovo T61p 15.4" - Core 2 extreme X9000 CPU @ 3.4Ghz, SSD
Toshiba Satellite A505D - 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, 80GB SSD

Zach123
Freshman Member
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:55 pm
Location: Winthrop, Massachusetts

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#34 Post by Zach123 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:55 pm

The T61p is not retro, It can still run windows 10 without a hitch. A retro machine is something like the Thinkpad 600x. The latest OS that it can run without a hitch is Windows XP and shipped with Windows 98.
Daily Drivers:

ThinkPad R400/T9550/2GB/256GB SSD

Collection: R61i, T60p, TR452, R31

wujstefan
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:38 am
Location: Tarnow, Poland

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#35 Post by wujstefan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:13 am

Zach123 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:55 pm
The T61p is not retro, It can still run windows 10 without a hitch. A retro machine is something like the Thinkpad 600x. The latest OS that it can run without a hitch is Windows XP and shipped with Windows 98.
Oh come on. This ignites discussion what is retro and what is not. This s totally subjective and not worth picking.
I could say just as much that my 355 is retro and 600x is not because it already has a TFT screen.
Dailies:
X201s - travel / garage
HP Elitebook 8770w (FHD IPS, SSD, Q4000M, 16Gb) - daily
Collectibles:
T43 (LED Flexview UXGA), Z60t, G41, R30, R50e, R61i
Under construction:
A31, R52p, T22, A22m, R40, T30, Z61m

Thinkpad4by3
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1824
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:25 am
Location: N. Bellmore, ny

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#36 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:39 am

wujstefan wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:13 am
Oh come on. This ignites discussion what is retro and what is not. This s totally subjective and not worth picking.
I could say just as much that my 355 is retro and 600x is not because it already has a TFT screen.
Quite true. It's all about your definition.

P.S. Neither of your machines are vintage because they have LCDs, my IBM PC 5150 is retro! :lol:
(I consider the 355 Vintage, the 600X fits into the desirable, cool, but still needs a year or two to become vintage)
P.P.S According to your definition my '89 Macintosh Portable would be considered not vintage by your definition, first machien with a TFT display. :lol:
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

Raidriar
Freshman Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#37 Post by Raidriar » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:08 pm

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:39 am
wujstefan wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:13 am
Oh come on. This ignites discussion what is retro and what is not. This s totally subjective and not worth picking.
I could say just as much that my 355 is retro and 600x is not because it already has a TFT screen.
Quite true. It's all about your definition.

P.S. Neither of your machines are vintage because they have LCDs, my IBM PC 5150 is retro! :lol:
(I consider the 355 Vintage, the 600X fits into the desirable, cool, but still needs a year or two to become vintage)
P.P.S According to your definition my '89 Macintosh Portable would be considered not vintage by your definition, first machien with a TFT display. :lol:
In my opinion, any machine that has exceeded double service life (which, in my world, 4 years is service life), is classified as a classic.
And by that definition, 100% of my thinkpads are classics now, the oldest being the 760XD and the newest being the T61p
Thinkpads: 760XD, 600E, T23, T30, T43p, T61p
Alienwares: M17x R1, M17x R2, M18x R1, M18x R2, Alienware 18
Razers: Razer Blade Pro 2017 FHD

storm-chaser
Freshman Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: Schenectady, NY

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#38 Post by storm-chaser » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:35 pm

So lets cut all of the discussion down to definition. That's what matters here:

Adjective:
Imitative of a style, fashion, or design from the recent past.
Noun:
A style or design which is imitative of those of the recent past.

With reasonable certainly, we can conclude the Thinkpad is a) a design from the recent past and b) retro computing can be defined as utilizing computer components from a by gone era. The T61 is defintily imitiative of a style from the recent past, therefore we can consider the T61p "retro".

BTW- Quick update. I use this laptop everyday (it's my daily driver) and it's running well. Still overclocks to 4.0Ghz and still runs relatively cool with the fan at 100%. Mostly run at 3.4Ghz for daily use.
AMD Phenom II 965 @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
AMD Phenom II 960T @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
Lenovo T61p 15.4" - Core 2 extreme X9000 CPU @ 3.4Ghz, SSD
Toshiba Satellite A505D - 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, 80GB SSD

storm-chaser
Freshman Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: Schenectady, NY

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#39 Post by storm-chaser » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:40 pm

storm-chaser wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:13 pm
Not sure why I cannot edit the last post.

I resized the picture to conform to the rather extensive forum image restrictions:

Huge-size PNG: https://image.ibb.co/dC9ApS/Lenovo_T61beastmode.png

PNG converted to much smaller-size JPG: https://imgur.com/a/dVvGiDd


Admin warning:
that original picture was WAY too big (1,387.38 KB), that's why the tags were removed.
Please read the Forum Rules again, especially Section 5: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14339
Even after your "resizing", your picture is still too big: 627.45 KB, allowed is 50 KB.
Hint: just only converting it from .png to .jpg would reduce its size already from 627.45 KB to 69.8 KB (see above).
As a linked picture, checking 69 KB [e.g. via smartphone] would be much more palatable than 627 KB.
And your previous (and this) post are blocked from editing exactly because of you ignoring the Forum Rules.
We get it! The forum is text only for good reason. It's a lot like lowering the state speed limit to 25 because one guy still has a motor scooter.
AMD Phenom II 965 @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
AMD Phenom II 960T @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
Lenovo T61p 15.4" - Core 2 extreme X9000 CPU @ 3.4Ghz, SSD
Toshiba Satellite A505D - 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, 80GB SSD

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin
Posts: 19391
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:17 am
Location: Mt. Cobb, PA
Contact:

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#40 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:32 pm

storm-chaser wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:40 pm
We get it! The forum is text only for good reason. It's a lot like lowering the state speed limit to 25 because one guy still has a motor scooter.
Forum-rules are there for a reason.
If you don't like that, you're more than welcome to try your luck elsewhere.

zod
Freshman Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:28 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#41 Post by zod » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:40 pm

For me, T61/R61/Z61/X61 are last true IBM laptops, although they are Lenovo labeled. From that perspective, one could count them as retro or classic machines. Moore's law does not apply anymore, so it's not surprise that all of them are still pretty capable machines.

zod
Freshman Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:28 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#42 Post by zod » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:52 pm

storm-chaser wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 7:37 pm
After some further tweaking I was able to hit 4.2Ghz with some success.
Keep in mind that your sensitive nVidia Quadro is very close to cpu, and it's ten years old now. I would never even try to overclock already fast and hot X9000 in such an environment, side by side with ROHS soldered Quadro.

TPFanatic
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:29 pm
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#43 Post by TPFanatic » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:37 pm

zod wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:40 pm
For me, T61/R61/Z61/X61 are last true IBM laptops, although they are Lenovo labeled. From that perspective, one could count them as retro or classic machines. Moore's law does not apply anymore, so it's not surprise that all of them are still pretty capable machines.
They are the last IBM laptops because they are the last with the cutout for the IBM sticker. :lol: But you can also fit the R61 and T61 lids on T400, T500, R400, R500, and W500 with the IBM logo, at the loss of webcams in the T500/W500.
lenovo X230 i5 3320m IPS 8GB
lenovo T430 i5 3320m FHD 8GB
lenovo T500 P9700 WUXGA 8GB


Enable 2 finger scroll on any Synaptics touchpads with registry: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122612

zod
Freshman Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:28 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#44 Post by zod » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:24 pm

TPFanatic wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:37 pm
They are the last IBM laptops because they are the last with the cutout for the IBM sticker. :lol:
No, it's not only about the sticker. The look, feel, build, it was all IBM. I used T420 at work for more than a year before it was replaced by Macbook Air. It was a really nice machine, but nothing like my IBM's. Then my wife got her business machine few years ago, it was T530, and I was so excited to put my hands on it. It was complete disappointment, especially for it's lousy chiclet keyboard and mediocre display; even my T420 was a dream compared to it. I suppose that's the reason why I stick with T61p and T601 in 2018, there's nothing better on horizon.

zod
Freshman Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:28 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#45 Post by zod » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:55 pm

TPFanatic wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:37 pm
cutout for the IBM sticker. :lol:
And just about now I realized what's so wrong about this W700 :lol:

storm-chaser
Freshman Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: Schenectady, NY

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#46 Post by storm-chaser » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:58 am

zod wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:52 pm
storm-chaser wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 7:37 pm
After some further tweaking I was able to hit 4.2Ghz with some success.
Keep in mind that your sensitive nVidia Quadro is very close to cpu, and it's ten years old now. I would never even try to overclock already fast and hot X9000 in such an environment, side by side with ROHS soldered Quadro.
I recently hit 4.2 stable with 1.5 v core but yes, your concerns are duly noted. That's why, for the most part, I run at 3.4ghz which seems to be a nice cruising speed for this CPU. Especially with the undervolting, I can mitigate some of the extra heat (running at 1.225v core). When you consider the X9000 has a stock core voltage of 1.2, this results in a good balance of power and heat dissapation, when combined with TPFanControl. I am looking into the custom BIOS that lowers the Vcore of the GPU as well. So overclocking can be done as safely as possible with such priceless retro equipment.

Here is a link to the system running at 4.2 stable...
https://image.ibb.co/hoZem9/Capture_BEAST.png
AMD Phenom II 965 @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
AMD Phenom II 960T @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
Lenovo T61p 15.4" - Core 2 extreme X9000 CPU @ 3.4Ghz, SSD
Toshiba Satellite A505D - 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, 80GB SSD

Screamer
Sophomore Member
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:15 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#47 Post by Screamer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:14 am

Interesting, would it be possible for you to run a benchmark to check the speed of it? 7zip 18.05's benchmark seems to be rather light enough to allow something like that to run, and I would like to know the total rating of it. If you can't get your X9000 at 4.2GHz to run that benchmark stable, run it at 4GHz instead.

Set the dictionary size to 2MB, then set the number of CPU threads to 2. Then allow the benchmark to run for approximately 4 passes; I suggest running 7zip's benchmark with every active program that consumes a significant amount of processor cycles closed too. Please do give a screenshot (in URL form), if possible.

Here is mine, for example. This integer score belongs to the fastest Northwood, that unfortunately only matches a Penryn at approximately 1.54GHz.

storm-chaser
Freshman Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: Schenectady, NY

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#48 Post by storm-chaser » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:12 pm

Here it is running the 7 Zip benchmark at 3.4Ghz as a first test run (updates to follow):

https://image.ibb.co/fxZUM9/BENCHAMRK.png

EDIT:
I don't think 4.0 or 4.2 ghz is going to be able to make 4 passes. Can't effectively manage processor heat at that point. We shall see, perhaps 3 passes is more feasible. Need lower ambient temps to run 3.8 or above at the moment as temps indoors are not conducive to overclocking. Heat is the biggest enemy at the moment.

3.6 Ghz run @ 1.2500 v core....
https://image.ibb.co/ehiOEU/seven.png
AMD Phenom II 965 @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
AMD Phenom II 960T @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
Lenovo T61p 15.4" - Core 2 extreme X9000 CPU @ 3.4Ghz, SSD
Toshiba Satellite A505D - 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, 80GB SSD

storm-chaser
Freshman Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: Schenectady, NY

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#49 Post by storm-chaser » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:53 pm

System has been running 3.8Ghz OC for the past two hours with zero issues. Core voltage is 1.3500. Ambient temps a little cooler this morning giving me more overclocking headroom.

Here is my result with 3.8Ghz and the 7-zip benchmark:
https://image.ibb.co/mRYyYp/Capturephone.png
AMD Phenom II 965 @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
AMD Phenom II 960T @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
Lenovo T61p 15.4" - Core 2 extreme X9000 CPU @ 3.4Ghz, SSD
Toshiba Satellite A505D - 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, 80GB SSD

Screamer
Sophomore Member
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:15 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#50 Post by Screamer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:13 pm

I must say, those are pretty good ratings for an overclocked X9000.

I should probably jump in with a W700 that has an X9100, this would definitely make things a little more interesting with the X9100 and the X9000 both overclocked. Apart from the obvious cooling differences. Though, I am very interested to see how would a W700 and a T61p go head-to-head in the overclocking department.

storm-chaser
Freshman Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: Schenectady, NY

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#51 Post by storm-chaser » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:08 pm

Screamer wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:13 pm
I must say, those are pretty good ratings for an overclocked X9000.

I should probably jump in with a W700 that has an X9100, this would definitely make things a little more interesting with the X9100 and the X9000 both overclocked. Apart from the obvious cooling differences. Though, I am very interested to see how would a W700 and a T61p go head-to-head in the overclocking department.
The X9100 is noticeably quicker all around processor due to the higher 1066mhz FSB... although it would still make for a good bench off.

We can start with the aida64 suite. What do you say to that?

Proceed shall we...
AMD Phenom II 965 @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
AMD Phenom II 960T @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
Lenovo T61p 15.4" - Core 2 extreme X9000 CPU @ 3.4Ghz, SSD
Toshiba Satellite A505D - 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, 80GB SSD

Screamer
Sophomore Member
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:15 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#52 Post by Screamer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:10 am

I doubt it is noticeably quicker, since I used to have an R61i that had a X9100 running on the 800MT/s bus (at 3GHz). With that compared to my W700 with the X9100 on the 1066MT/s bus, it didn't show a lot of speed improvements at all, barely if any.

AIDA64? Sure, I used the trial edition of AIDA64 Extreme 5.98.4800 for this benchmark run. Includes a screenshot for 7zip 18.05's benchmark too.

I did all of the benchmarks that were listed under AIDA64's benchmark category, along with the cache and memory benchmark. This was with the X9100 at approximately 4GHz (3990MHz) being fed with 1.425v, not too bad I suppose.

wujstefan
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:38 am
Location: Tarnow, Poland

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#53 Post by wujstefan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:55 am

The difference performance-wise is minimmal. It is simply that X9100 is reasonably cheaper than X9000 ^^

1066 simply offers access a newer platform that allows quadcores and more power efficient CPUs. I personally mod my systems with 1066 for P-range of Penryns, like P9600/P9700 with the latter offering X9000 speeds while running 28W TDP vs 44W TDP. The difference in power consumption and heat is huge, especially for heat-fragile frankenpad systems.
Dailies:
X201s - travel / garage
HP Elitebook 8770w (FHD IPS, SSD, Q4000M, 16Gb) - daily
Collectibles:
T43 (LED Flexview UXGA), Z60t, G41, R30, R50e, R61i
Under construction:
A31, R52p, T22, A22m, R40, T30, Z61m

Zach123
Freshman Member
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:55 pm
Location: Winthrop, Massachusetts

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#54 Post by Zach123 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:38 pm

wujstefan wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:55 am
The difference performance-wise is minimmal. It is simply that X9100 is reasonably cheaper than X9000 ^^

1066 simply offers access a newer platform that allows quadcores and more power efficient CPUs. I personally mod my systems with 1066 for P-range of Penryns, like P9600/P9700 with the latter offering X9000 speeds while running 28W TDP vs 44W TDP. The difference in power consumption and heat is huge, especially for heat-fragile frankenpad systems.
Do you have any benchmarks to prove that the P9700 has the performance of a X9000?
Daily Drivers:

ThinkPad R400/T9550/2GB/256GB SSD

Collection: R61i, T60p, TR452, R31

Zach123
Freshman Member
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:55 pm
Location: Winthrop, Massachusetts

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#55 Post by Zach123 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Screamer wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:10 am
This was with the X9100 at approximately 4GHz (3990MHz) being fed with 1.425v, not too bad I suppose.
What software do you use to overclock?
Daily Drivers:

ThinkPad R400/T9550/2GB/256GB SSD

Collection: R61i, T60p, TR452, R31

Screamer
Sophomore Member
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:15 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#56 Post by Screamer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:13 pm

Zach123 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:38 pm
Do you have any benchmarks to prove that the P9700 has the performance of a X9000?
Uh, theoretically speaking, the P9700 would be slightly faster compared to the X9000. I don't think you would need a benchmark to prove something that is easy to calculate, no offense. Reason being that the P9700 runs on the 1066MT/s bus, while the X9000 runs on the 800MT/s bus. Then take into account for the same approximate clock speed, which is 2.8GHz.

Conclusion: assuming that the X9000 is running at its stock clockspeed, it will have a very small disadvantage when compared to the P9700.
Zach123 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:46 pm
What software do you use to overclock?
Throttlestop 8.50.

wujstefan
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:38 am
Location: Tarnow, Poland

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#57 Post by wujstefan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:47 am

Zach123 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:38 pm
Do you have any benchmarks to prove that the P9700 has the performance of a X9000?
I've benchmarked both some time ago, but the results are probably either uploaded somewhere here at the forum, or long forgotten. Anyway, why should I prove it while this is a fact? :) if only out for curiosity there are numerous benchmarks on the web; but if you for whatever reason need to take a look I may test it in my FSB-modded frankie. I may have P9600 only though (133MHz less but for 50% less money ^^).
Dailies:
X201s - travel / garage
HP Elitebook 8770w (FHD IPS, SSD, Q4000M, 16Gb) - daily
Collectibles:
T43 (LED Flexview UXGA), Z60t, G41, R30, R50e, R61i
Under construction:
A31, R52p, T22, A22m, R40, T30, Z61m

Zach123
Freshman Member
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:55 pm
Location: Winthrop, Massachusetts

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#58 Post by Zach123 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:03 am

Screamer wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:13 pm
Throttlestop 8.50.
Can you provide a download link please. Thanks, can't find throttlestop 8.50 anywhere on the internet.
Daily Drivers:

ThinkPad R400/T9550/2GB/256GB SSD

Collection: R61i, T60p, TR452, R31

Thinkpad4by3
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1824
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:25 am
Location: N. Bellmore, ny

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#59 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:33 am

Zach123 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:03 am
Screamer wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:13 pm
Throttlestop 8.50.
Can you provide a download link please. Thanks, can't find throttlestop 8.50 anywhere on the internet.
Google a bit harder next time:

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/te ... ottlestop/
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

storm-chaser
Freshman Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: Schenectady, NY

Re: Retro Thinkpad T61p Build! Warning PICS!

#60 Post by storm-chaser » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:43 am

ThrottleStop is definitely the ONLY way to go with overclocking these laptops.
I'm still trying to get a legit 4.0Ghz run with AIDA64... but I don't think it's gonna happen. Reaching the limits of my cooling system once again. Might try the freezer next.
AMD Phenom II 965 @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
AMD Phenom II 960T @ 4.1Ghz, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD
Lenovo T61p 15.4" - Core 2 extreme X9000 CPU @ 3.4Ghz, SSD
Toshiba Satellite A505D - 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, 80GB SSD

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “ThinkPad T6x Series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests