Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T61 running W10 64bit, Internet Access no longer on task bar - Solved

T60/T61 Series
Muse

T61 running W10 64bit, Internet Access no longer on task bar - Solved

#1 Post by Muse » Fri May 04, 2018 11:11 pm

I'm connected by wifi -- When I take this thing out of suspend, I usually need to know if my internet access is seen before I attempt many actions. Until a few days ago the radiating icon to indicate whether or not access has been restored and how strong it is (how many bars) was right there in the bottom right of the task bar. Now it's not there and I have to click the wedge symbol ( ^ ) to "Show hidden icons." I have no idea why or how this change was made and see no way to restore the functionality that's more useful to me. What's up with this? :evil:

Edit: Well, I found it, but not where you'd think and hope to find it, by right clicking in the taskbar or the Show hidden icons mini-window. I had to go to settings, put "taskbar" in the search area and gained access to Taskbar notification area and "Select which icons appear on taskbar" which has on/off toggles for a large variety of functions and programs. I can't imagine what turned mine differently. Maybe it was one of the cleanup programs I ran a few days ago (Malwarebytes, ccleaner, Superantispyware).
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Dec. 2010: Now thought to be over 11 miles wide!

E350

Re: T61 running W10 64bit, Internet Access no longer on task bar - Solved

#2 Post by E350 » Sat May 05, 2018 12:02 am

On ours, the April update to Windows 10 wiped out our Access Connections, so I had to search in C: for ACCON and run setup.exe and then rebuild my Location Profiles. It also wiped out my Bluetooth Devices so I had to search for devices again to repoplulate the devices. Same with Gadgets which I place one the desktop. I had to run repair gadgets. Windows 10 does not like any of these programs, but they run fine on Windows 10 IMHO.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: T61 running W10 64bit, Internet Access no longer on task bar - Solved

#3 Post by axur-delmeria » Sat May 05, 2018 3:29 am

I've noticed that major Windows 10 updates tend to break stuff, as they seem to revert settings to default. I had to reinstall a certain printer's drivers on a client's machine after a recent update.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry: