Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T6x and T4x keys compatibility

T60/T61 Series
GunslingerThink

T6x and T4x keys compatibility

#1 Post by GunslingerThink » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:03 am

Hello. I wonder if I T4x keys (not the entire keyboard unit, just keys) would fit in a T6x keyboard? I've seen some photos of T43 and now I want those gray functional keys on my T61. I need to know whether it is possible or not.
  • T61 NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M SXGA+
  • T61 Intel GMA X3100 XGA
  • T40
  • 600E

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: T6x and T4x keys compatibility

#2 Post by dr_st » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:15 pm

I think for some of the three different keyboard types, and for these specific keys, the answer may be 'yes'. If my memory is not deceiving me, someone on the forum did such a mod.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Screamer

Re: T6x and T4x keys compatibility

#3 Post by Screamer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:16 pm

They look compatible to me, at least when I checked their scissor-switch mechanisms. I have never done this sort of mod though, but it appears that you do need to swap the T4x's and the T6x's scissor-switch brackets around to make it fit on a T6x keyboard. They should also work on Chicony or ALPS keyboards, since their scissor-switches are not too different from an NMB's.

EDIT: I tried a swap that had a Chicony T6x keyboard and a NMB T4x keyboard involved, it appears that the short-length keys on the function key's row and the 'previous file, next file' keys on the T4x were slightly taller than the T6x's keys. I made an attempt to force a T4x key-cap on one of the keys on the T6x's keyboard, and it only managed to fit in with the right side of the key-cap. The left side was loose.

What is required to succeed in this mod, is to swap one half of the T4x's scissor-switch mechanism that looks like a U-shaped part to the T6x's scissor-switch mechanism. The other half of the scissor-switch mechanism can be ignored, because that part allows T4x or T6x key-caps to be mounted interchangeably. Then, put the 'mish-mashed' scissor-switch mechanism back into the T6x's keyboard and mount the T4x's key-cap on. That is all, now you can enjoy the aesthetics of it.