I have seen a CD+DVD version of recvery set (for T61), but never a single-DVD one - why is that like this - beats me ...
If it is possible to cram everything on 1 ISO, I see it as follows:
1. incorporate SP3 and all later updates (including those "unofficial" for ATM) into installer (if it will not fit DVD, no problem, it could work off bootable penive with iso selectable via grub. Yes, I am aware there's "unofficial" SP4 and some hotfix-packs created by users after SP4 author dropped his project.
2. incorporate last releases drivers and utility-ware as well as removing all garbage that came with original R&R installation
3. final version of ISO could be made public if theres any way of making such release legal, if not- I could at least upload it somewhere for non-public access
4. project will end with official EOS of ATM version of XP in 2019.
Due to vast size of the project I will need help of forum veterans regarding customisation of IBM/Lenovo proprietary tools/drivers.
There is cd checkup that does not allow to merge Boot, Supplemental and those labelled 1 to 6; What I managed to do so far is 3 disk working R&R set: 1 CD containing "bootable CD" (original one), 1CD of supplemental data (also original one), and 1DVD containing disks 1-6: to make it work I had to edit /RECOVERY/RECOVER.ini on merged DVD to
[SETTINGS] OS=XPPRO DBCSSupport=0 KoreanNLS=0 disk=1 [Disks] Disk1=XPPRO Disk2=XPPRO Disk3=XPPRO Disk4=XPPRO Disk5=XPPRO Disk6=XPPROPending questions:
1. is the /i386 directory on boot CD the same as XP that is installed by Recovery? This is important, because if it is, the patching/incorporating SP3 could be easier
2. if /i386 is just for preboot environment, then where are the "real" winXP installer files?
3. how does contents of /recovery map to lenovo/ibm drivers and utility software?
4. how is recovery/install process scripted - how can it be edited to add or replace/remove drivers and utilities?