Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Need suggestion for broken lcd frame

T60/T61 Series
jharrison29

Need suggestion for broken lcd frame

#1 Post by jharrison29 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:36 pm

Referring to prior posts regarding my 'broken hinge' viewtopic.php?f=29&t=126795#p821781.
What I found is it is NOT a bad hinge but a cracked backframe of the lcd panel. I am referring to the frame that you see once you remove the top piece of the T61 lid (cover).

The frame is cracked around the area where the hinge is held with 2 pins. I haven't actually removed the hinge yet to determine if the hinge is so tight that it may have caused the crack or if the crack is merely fatigue from the frame being too thin for the flexing stress of opening and closing. Picture https://imgur.com/a/8iDrR3l here.

Should I be looking for a new frame or new assembly that includes LCD (15.4")? My understanding is that parts are no longer manufactured so I presume it would be used. It seems a bit problematic to buy a frame that includes a used screen. I don't even know what parts are easy to obtain. Is there a vendor that someone would recommend?

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: Need suggestion for broken lcd frame

#2 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:53 pm

I'm sure someone around here has a T61 lid without LCD in decent shape and ready to go for not much money. Try posting a WTB (want to buy) ad in the Marketplace and take it from there.

Good luck.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

jharrison29

Re: Need suggestion for broken lcd frame

#3 Post by jharrison29 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:22 am

ajkula66 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:53 pm
I'm sure someone around here has a T61 lid without LCD in decent shape and ready to go for not much money. Try posting a WTB (want to buy) ad in the Marketplace and take it from there.
Good luck.
Thank you, I found a frame on eBay and after soaking my hinges for a week I have it all back together and running.