Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T60 - Indicator lights issues and Palmrest freezing

T60/T61 series specific matters only
AphexPaper

T60 - Indicator lights issues and Palmrest freezing

#1 Post by AphexPaper » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:31 am

Hello everybody,

I own a T60 Thinkpad that belonged to my younger brother for a couple of years (2011 - 2015).
It's very beaten up and it has a variety of issues, some I managed to fix on my own but these stump me.

Okay so, the Thinkpad itself works very fine, the OS I currently have on there (Lubuntu because I would like to learn how to use Linux) boots up, and if I use an external mouse it all works effortlessly except:
1. The Indicator lights do not work at all, no signs of life in any way. (The monitor however is fine and works very well.)

2. When I try to use the Trackpad, it works but then when I use one of the built in mouse buttons it doesn't let me click anymore, not even with an external mouse.

Things I have tried:

For 1. :
Looking around for Software things like drivers or something along those lines or if I disabled them in the BIOS or something (is that even possible?).
I also have reseated the monitor cable on the Motherboard twice so I doubt that this is the issue.

For 2. :
I have removed the tape underneath the palmrest, reseated all the cables, reapplied the tape after one try, still nothing working.

Am I missing something?
If I can't fix these issues, would it be worth it to buy a T61 off of EBay and make a frankenpad out of the T60?
If there is a need for additional information, I'd be glad to give it out.

Thank you in advance for your replies. :D

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: T60 - Indicator lights issues and Palmrest freezing

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:33 am

Welcome to the Forum.

Non-working LEDs mean a blown fuse on the motherboard.
Dozens of posts about that, if you read/search the T6x forum.

Are you talking about the keyboard's or the palmrest's mouse-buttons?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly! :mrgreen:
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

AphexPaper

#3 Post by AphexPaper » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:58 am

Thank you for the welcome.

Yeah, looking it up on the Forum just now I think I might be able to find out which fuse it is.

Funnily enough the Keyboard mouse buttons just don't work, I could have probably asked for help with those in my title aswell but having one set of working mouse buttons would be enough for me and my purposes.
But yeah, it's the palmrest mouse buttons that are behind that.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:16 am

AphexPaper wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:58 am
Funnily enough the Keyboard mouse buttons just don't work,......

But yeah, it's the palmrest mouse buttons that are behind that.
So both don't work?

AphexPaper

#5 Post by AphexPaper » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:22 am

Yeah, however the Keyboard mb's show no reaction at all when I click them whereas the Palmrest buttons act a bit differently.
Clicking the left one does nothing, but clicking with right enters in this weird permanently held state, no matter if I attach an external mouse before or after it doesn't let me stop holding right click once I have pressed it once.

dr_st

#6 Post by dr_st » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:27 am

Try disconnecting the touchpad. Defective touchpad buttons will often screw up the operation of the trackpoint buttons as well.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), X1 Carbon (20HQ), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG, X61 7673-V2V
T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad, A21m 2628-GXU

AphexPaper

#7 Post by AphexPaper » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:59 am

dr_st wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:27 am
Try disconnecting the touchpad. Defective touchpad buttons will often screw up the operation of the trackpoint buttons as well.
That worked. Testing it by plugging the Palmrest in again without having it on its proper position (away from the thinkpad, not directly touching it other than the cable connection) it still blocked the mouse buttons, don't know what the exact issue is but I think the Palmrest itself seems busted then.

Can I fix it somehow or should I look into getting a new palmrest?

EDIT: I just unplugged the palmrest's mouse buttons from the circuitry inside the palmrest, and now I have a functioning trackpad with a set of mouse buttons. Good enough for me before I go on and replace this! Thank you guys for your help and patience. :)

wujstefan

#8 Post by wujstefan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:03 am

AphexPaper wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:59 am
EDIT: I just unplugged the palmrest's mouse buttons from the circuitry inside the palmrest, and now I have a functioning trackpad with a set of mouse buttons. Good enough for me before I go on and replace this! Thank you guys for your help and patience.
Which model size is it? I have a couple of palmrests that were just about hitting the bin; I can share one for shipping costs onle.
Dailies:
X230 - travel / garage
W700 - workhorse
R600 (R500 mobo inside R60 chassis) - daily
600x w/i7 board - thing to admire
Collectibles:
T43, Z60t, G41, R30, R50e, R61i, A31p, T23
Under construction:
R52p, T22, A22m, R40, T30, Z61m