Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Sharp LQ150U1LW22N for Frankenpad opinions

T60/T61 Series
Hixon

Sharp LQ150U1LW22N for Frankenpad opinions

#1 Post by Hixon » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has this screen at all? I am considering this as a replacement for my LG dim-yellowish SXGA IPS screen. I read RBS's comment in one of the forums that this is an ASV (Advanced Super View, comparable technology to IPS) screen. However, I see very few references this being anything more than a simple TN panel. How good are its viewing angles? How does this screen performs over time? I have another frankie with a CCFL Boehydis UXGA, how does this Sharp screen compare to the Boe UXGA in your opinion? What about brightness, color reproduction?

If you have used the Sharp screen before I would appreciate if you could share your thoughts on this screen.

Thanks folks.
IBM Thinkpad T601, Boe-Hydis UXGA, Native Penryn, QX9300, Intel X3100, 8GB Crucial RAM, 250GB Kingston SSD

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: Sharp LQ150U1LW22N for Frankenpad opinions

#2 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:39 pm

Hixon wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:53 pm

If you have used the Sharp screen before I would appreciate if you could share your thoughts on this screen.
If you expect the viewing angles of Hydis, or the warm clarity of LG IPS, you're likely to be disappointed. Sharp is not quite in that ballpark.

Having said that, outside of the IPS/AFFS realm, these are likely the best 4:3 panels ever made.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by wujstefan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:37 am

I will dig for comparison. I have made something like this before AFFS screens became available.

Here's how sharp looks; there is only BIOS shot, but I can't find anything more for now - and simply does not have time for now to put it into a working unit :)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2p58 ... ldUWHZNSlk

SHARP screens are colorful, very bright and have reasonable viewing angles for TN screens. Still, if you are used to IPS you will be unable to eat Sharp screen. These are details that matter much.

To compare, Sharp is brighter than both LG, ID-Tech and Boehydis screens mounted in T60. However, it has worse viewing angles (I was expecting a bit more from ASV really) and color reproduction falls behind all and any 4:3 IPS panel I've ever used, and trying to calibrate does not produce good effects. It also is very aggressive to my eyes for some reason; IPS and AFFS screens that became a possibility thanks to RBS are paper-like.

All in all this is a good panel. Will I use it? No, unless I have no access to any compatible IPS panel, so most probably it will be placed in A30 lid (this is a 1:1 replacement). If this one is smaller I'd happily install it in any system that does not have an IPS option otherwise, like X300 or G41.
Too many thinkpads not enough time!
(stable under reduction)

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:52 am

Hey, Sharp makes some good screens. I actually compared my 755C's TFT TN display to the one on my X230's IPS display. Neck in neck and even the viewing angles test was pretty close too...and the X230 is only 20 years newer. If Sharp can make a TN display in 1994 that good, I don't see why in 2003 they couldn't make one excellent TN panel. W700 is TN, that is a great display(not Sharp).

TN isn't something to be afraid of. The specs of the display, well that can tell an entirely different story.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.