Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T601 Frankenpad screw hole question

T60/T61 series specific matters only
zoltan87
Sophomore Member

T601 Frankenpad screw hole question

#1 Post by zoltan87 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:25 pm

Really simple question, but even after an hour of reading Frankenpad build threads, I couldn't find the answer for this:

Is it normal, that using a T61 motherboard in a T60 15 inch shell/frame, the bottom middle screw hole for securing the keyboard is not accessible? There is some metal piece inside right below the hole, so I can't insert a screw there any more.
Laptops after the 4:3 aspect ratio era are non-existent to me.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: T601 Frankenpad screw hole question

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:21 pm

I wouldn't think so, given the T60 and T61 use the same keyboards so the T61 mobo would have a hole in the same spot for a t60 keyboard. Figure out what is blocking that hole and remove it.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

zoltan87
Sophomore Member

Re: T601 Frankenpad screw hole question

#3 Post by zoltan87 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:25 pm

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:21 pm
I wouldn't think so, given the T60 and T61 use the same keyboards so the T61 mobo would have a hole in the same spot for a t60 keyboard. Figure out what is blocking that hole and remove it.
Oh boy... I was afraid of this answer. Looks like I have to disassemble it then like the hundredths time. Why do I always mess up something :( ...

EDIT: It was indeed my fault, somehow I managed to bend a small metal tab inside the plastic base, and that covered up the hole. It's been all put back together now, finally my Frankie build is finished. Now I will need some time to install all the drivers and do some comparisons with my T60, that is still my main machine. Will start a new thread about comparison as soon as I will have some time to test it out properly.
Laptops after the 4:3 aspect ratio era are non-existent to me.