Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Problem flashing Middleton BIOS with data encryption

T60/T61 Series
oldsports

Problem flashing Middleton BIOS with data encryption

#1 Post by oldsports » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:17 am

Hi,

My wife has a T61; last year I did a clean-install of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and gave her 4GB RAM to help speed up the laptop. Recently I decided to install a small SSD (128GB) to speed it up further. While doing some online research, I discovered that the BIOS needs to be flashed with the modified Middleton BIOS to activate SATA II. I found the link to the BIOS on the T61 Wiki, downloaded it and created a bootable CD from the ISO file. The instructions stated that the flash will only work via the CD on a 64-bit system.

When I attempted the flash, I got an error message that says that BitLocker is enabled and that it needs to be disabled before the flash will work. I was fairly certain that I did not enable BitLocker when I installed Win 10, but I checked anyway - it was not enabled. However, I found a Dell External Media Shield (version 8.4.1.6372) installed on the laptop. I found out from my wife that one of her clients (she is a business consultant) required her to install this app as protection for external media (i.e. USB sticks). I am assuming that this app is being identified as BitLocker by the BIOS installer.

Questions:
1. Does my theory make sense about the Dell app being the issue? If not, what else could be the problem?
2. If this is the case, is my only remedy to get the Dell app uninstalled and then flash the BIOS? In the Win 10 Apps section I can see the EMS app but the "Uninstall" link is greyed out. I assume this means that her client's system administrator needs to uninstall this, correct?
3. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: Problem flashing Middleton BIOS with data encryption

#2 Post by ajkula66 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:31 am

Welcome to the forum!

Pull out the hard drive, flash the BIOS, re-install the drive.

Done.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

oldsports

#3 Post by oldsports » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:12 am

Hi,

I got it to work. I pulled out the hard drive as suggested but I got the same error. Next, I disabled the security chip in the BIOS and tried it again - success! I don't know if I could have left the hard drive installed and simply disabled the security chip, but it doesn't matter because I'm done. Thanks for the quick response.

ashtoncb12

#4 Post by ashtoncb12 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:42 am

Hello, this is unrelated, but how would I post my own thread to the forums? I have only figured out how to reply to someone else's post. Thank you!

Screamer

#5 Post by Screamer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:10 pm

Create your own topic, you mean?

There is a small button on the top left corner that says 'new topic', click that and you should be done.