Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad T60 bus temperature in TPFC

T60/T61 Series
General9913

Thinkpad T60 bus temperature in TPFC

#1 Post by General9913 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Well hello there! :mrgreen:

My thinkpad T60 1951 from my signature is displaying a quite high bus temperature in TPFC v0.62. Usually it's about 10°C higher than cpu temperature. The bottom of the laptop where the touchpad is situated gets pretty hot, therefore, it's not a defective sensor, it gets much hotter than the area beneath the cooler.

Since it's away from the cooler, setting tpfc to FAN 6 doesn't make a difference. Under load the cpu gets to 64~66°C and the bus temperature reaches a scorching 70~72°C! And it takes a long time to cool down, I've seen the cpu idling to 45°C while the bus was still in the 60s°C until it reaches about 55°C and mantain it until I ask more of the computer. Even youtube videos heat it up, but that's understable, it has an Intel GMA 950 only, so the cpu has to do the gpu's work.

I wonder if the touchpad has anything to do with it, you see I can' use the touchpad and the trackpoint at the same time, they both work alright, but they won't work together, so I set in bios to use the trackpoint only. I don't know what's wrong with it, I've installed, reinstalled drivers and Windows 7 but nope, they refuse to work together...

Thanks for your help!
Thinkpad X31 Type 2672 Pentium M 705 1.5 Ghz 2GB RAM 40GB HDD Win XP Professional
Thinkpad T60 Type 1951 Core 2 Duo T7400 2.16 Ghz 3GB RAM 60GB HDD Win 7 Home Premium

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Thinkpad T60 bus temperature in TPFC

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:03 am

Check the cable that goes from palmrest to motherboard, it may be loose or corroded or dirty after all these years.
The "hotspot" seems to be the RAM location.
Remove the modules, gently rub ONLY the gold contacts with an eraser until they shine, then blow off any eraser remnants and put them back in.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine