Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

CMOS Polarity

T60/T61 series specific matters only
bcrown

CMOS Polarity

#1 Post by bcrown » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:00 am

So I did a stupid thing and removed the cmos battery without noting the polarity and the unit allows me to put a new battery in without regard to either direction.

Can anyone tell me if the + is towards the top of the machine (screen) or the bottom (keyboard) when replacing the battery.

For some reason my clock is periodically resetting to an earlier time not caused by a windows time update. I am hoping the cmos is the problem, but I have not lost any cmos other settings.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: CMOS Polarity

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:11 pm

Which machine is this for? Can you post pictures using a service such as imgur.com? In most Thinkpads, they have keyed connectors so I'm not sure how you can insert it backwards?
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

bcrown

Re: CMOS Polarity

#3 Post by bcrown » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:16 pm

It is a T60. I think i had it in backwards. The connection is just two pins on my unit (no connector per se) maybe the socket was not ever out installed, the circuit board does show a diagram for a connector.

When it was backwards, the time actually was not advancing but apparently the last inputed time was kept in a non volatile memory. When in the bios settings, the time stood still which seemed odd. After I swapped the battery around, the time in the bios settings was moving again.

In case it matters to anyone else, I now have the negative side connected to the upper pin closer to the screen.