Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Reading CPU temp on a T60 with TPFC and RightMark CPU Clock Utility

T60/T61 Series
devinfriday

Reading CPU temp on a T60 with TPFC and RightMark CPU Clock Utility

#1 Post by devinfriday » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:04 am

Hi, i have finished to setup a T60 on Windows 7 32-bit with the guide found on this forum to make it run cooler. I have one final issue to face, cpu temps differ between TPFC and RMClock Utility. Which one i have to consider trusty and which should be tuned with an offset?
Another question: i didn't put any shim between the heatsink and the ATI GPU/Southbridge and temps seems to be under 60° with Furmark for the GPU. The HS has a very little space, but i think the keyboard push it down enough to touch. Do i have to put some copper shim to fill this tiny gap?
TIA
Gabs.

TitoLabieno

Re: Reading CPU temp on a T60 with TPFC and RightMark CPU Clock Utility

#2 Post by TitoLabieno » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:38 am

My favourite tool to measure temps and sensors is hwinfo, at least on newer ThinkPads I have found its measurements pretty close to TPFC. I don't know about RMClock, I haven't used it yet, I'll try it.
T430 (Intel Core i7-3632QM @ 2200MHz, 16GB DDR3L)
X100e (AMD Athlon MV40 @ 1600MHz, 4GB DDR2)
R50e (Intel Pentium M 715 @ 1500MHz, 512MB DDR)
T23 (Intel Pentium III M 1133 @ 1133MHz, 512MB DDR)

devinfriday

#3 Post by devinfriday » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:21 am

Thanks to TitoLabieno, hwinfo reports temps close to TPFC. RMClock is a couple of degrees above, so it didn't bother me.

Screamer

#4 Post by Screamer » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:22 am

devinfriday wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:04 am
Which one i have to consider trusty and which should be tuned with an offset?
Both can be trusted, if you don't mind the temperature difference between the CPU's motherboard temperature sensor and it's on-die temperature sensor. Although, the on-die temperature sensor is way more accurate as it's quite literally on the CPU's die.

If you were to use TPFanControl, you'd be seeing the CPU's motherboard temperature sensor readings, and not the CPU's integrated on-die temperature sensor readings. On the other hand, RightMark CPU Clock Utility directly reads the output from the CPU's integrated on-die temperature sensor.

None of them needs an offset.
devinfriday wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:04 am
i didn't put any shim between the heatsink and the ATI GPU/Southbridge and temps seems to be under 60° with Furmark for the GPU. The HS has a very little space, but i think the keyboard push it down enough to touch. Do i have to put some copper shim to fill this tiny gap?
You're referring to the northbridge, not the southbridge. The southbridge is not cooled by the heatsink.

You'll run the risk of cracking the GPU or the northbridge's die if you were to use a copper shim that is too thick. Besides, I'd suggest using a copper shim only if the temperatures were horrible. In your case, it isn't and I wouldn't suggest it.

In the end, it's your machine and your call. Do anything as you see fit, but don't say that I didn't warn you.