Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

I think the GPU is reading artificially high and is causing TPFC to run the fan constantly.

T60/T61 Series
fefrie

I think the GPU is reading artificially high and is causing TPFC to run the fan constantly.

#1 Post by fefrie » Tue May 04, 2021 7:34 pm

I've had this specific T60 for a year now after my last T60 had a mobo failure and didn't start up. It was a straight clone, except for the sierra wireless care (which I have no idea what it does for connectivity, but I use a dock and ethernet as my home rig so it doesn't matter.

It works mostly well, except that TPFC reads that the GPU is 74c right now, but it's always at an elevated temperature all.the.time.

Right now my CPU is 49C and everything else is below that.

I just upgraded the CPU to the T7400 from the old T60, and as part of that process, I moved the 2 heat pads for the ATI chipset and 'the other thing'. No idea if that other thing is contributing to heat issues.

Put it all back together. Config'd RM CLock to 1.02v. Everything seems cool.

But the GPU is still reading 73C. The keypad over the area seems cool.

So is it possible that the sensor is reading artificially high? And if so, is there any way to configure TPFC so that the fan turns off when everything actually seems to be cool?

The original config from the last laptop would turn off the fan when whatever was below 50c, but since the GPU temp is higher than the CPU temp, TPFC seems to take the GPU higher temp as the benchmark to set the fan temperature.
IBM Thinkpad T23 1.13 2647-9LU 640MB Ram 40GB hard drive SOLD!
T42 SXGA 1.7 64mb xp

Mindfulness Quebec
Freshman Member

Re: I think the GPU is reading artificially high and is causing TPFC to run the fan constantly.

#2 Post by Mindfulness Quebec » Tue May 04, 2021 8:36 pm

Those are normal temperatures for a T60 with an ATI GPU. You can tweak it with TPFC fan settings and high-performance thermal pads, but temperatures in the low to mid 70's are within the design limits of those systems and not cause for worry.

fefrie

Re: I think the GPU is reading artificially high and is causing TPFC to run the fan constantly.

#3 Post by fefrie » Tue May 04, 2021 8:40 pm

The big issue was the 24/7 level 2 fan on all the time. Since the GPU is the high mark that TPFC will run off of, I'll adjust for

level 0-75
level 1-83
level 2-87

It will keep the fan speed either off or level 1 which I can deal with.

Is there anyway to revert it to the CPU in regards to the marks?
IBM Thinkpad T23 1.13 2647-9LU 640MB Ram 40GB hard drive SOLD!
T42 SXGA 1.7 64mb xp

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by axur-delmeria » Wed May 05, 2021 3:56 am

I haven't used TPFC in a while, but doesn't it have an offset setting somewhere?
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

Mindfulness Quebec
Freshman Member

#5 Post by Mindfulness Quebec » Wed May 05, 2021 10:39 am

Let me get this straight, you want the fan to operate LESS than it would under the BIOS regime?

JBUK
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by JBUK » Wed May 05, 2021 5:29 pm

Yes thats the best idea to tweak the sensor offset for the graphics try 5 or 10 degrees to begin with to see if that will kill the continual fan, if not then take it up in stages as high as you dare without cooking the GPU. Assuming it is set to 0 at the moment. The CPU sensor will not be affected by the changed offset so the T60 will still have thermal protection.
Where to begin......
390e FOR SALE : GONE
1 x T20 : SOLD
1 X T23 + 3 breaking for parts
1 X T23 with Samsung 840 SSD and XP Great combination !: SOLD
1 X T60
3 X T61
1 X T601 15"
1 X T520
2 X T530

zoltan87

#7 Post by zoltan87 » Mon May 10, 2021 8:44 am

In the TPFanControl.ini there you can set any sensors to be ignored when determining the max temperature (the temperature that triggers certain fan levels). You could simply make tpfancontrol to ignore the gpu temp reading (as I understand it, it would still read and display its temperature, but it wouldn't be counted when determining the fan level).

And I have to say I never have my gpu (Ati X1400 in a 15 inch 4:3 Thinkpad T60) in the 70C range, not even under stress. Although I have my cpu undervolted, and I have a T500 heatsink in my T60, but still. And my fan rpm levels have been modified to much slower speeds (1700, 2200, 2700rpm respectively), and even with these speeds my gpu is nowhere near as hot as yours. So I think something is definitely not right there (as you mentioned faulty temp sensor, or maybe faulty heatsink/faulty contact between heatsink and gpu die?).
Thinkpad T60, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad T601, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad T22
NEC ProSpeed SX/20