Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Got a T61, which OS?

T60/T61 Series
devinfriday
Freshman Member

Got a T61, which OS?

#1 Post by devinfriday » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:31 pm

Hi, now that i got a T61 i must decide which os i should install, so i am asking some advice. Apart from the upgrades (4gb are on the way, as the SSD) it should be used as a general daily use, with the option for remote desktop client for either windows pc and linux. Software must be open or free software, no commercial licenses. I have read about making a hackintosh (has X1300 intel gpu), could it be useful? My knowledge about macos is about Quarkexpress used for self printed newspaper for a couple of years a couple of decades ago . Middleton bios has already been installed...

devinfriday
Freshman Member

Re: Got a T61, which OS?

#2 Post by devinfriday » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:34 pm

Forgot to mention that i have a pair of win10 machines, a linux server will be installed when parts arrived and a pentium 4 will be installed as a retro XP machine for retro gaming and as backup machine.

atagunov

#3 Post by atagunov » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:38 pm

Hi I'd expect Linux to be quick and easy to setup. I'm lazy, I'm setting up Ubuntu everywhere. Less lazy people seem to prefer Debian or some other flavor.

Mac OS doesn't satisfy the "open or free software" requirement does it? ;-) Besides I'd expect that most of free and open software - especially which runs with 4Gb RAM on a Hackintosh - to also exist in a Linux version.

I've been considering building a Hackintosh out of noticeably more powerful hardware like W530 or a desktop but I gave up the idea eventually. I concluded it wasn't worth the investment of my time - and it seems building a Hackintosh does require some effort.
X220, 2 *T520

devinfriday
Freshman Member

#4 Post by devinfriday » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:04 pm

atagunov wrote:Hi I'd expect Linux to be quick and easy to setup. I'm lazy, I'm setting up Ubuntu everywhere. Less lazy people seem to prefer Debian or some other flavor.

Mac OS doesn't satisfy the "open or free software" requirement does it? ;-) Besides I'd expect that most of free and open software - especially which runs with 4Gb RAM on a Hackintosh - to also exist in a Linux version.

I've been considering building a Hackintosh out of noticeably more powerful hardware like W530 or a desktop but I gave up the idea eventually. I concluded it wasn't worth the investment of my time - and it seems building a Hackintosh does require some effort.
In MacOs you can install free software by compiling code and using a x11 server for graphical windows, as Cairo composer is proprietary and open source software cannot interface with it. At least this was the situation on 10.0/10.1 releases...

atagunov

#5 Post by atagunov » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:45 pm

devinfriday wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:04 pm
In MacOs you can install free software by compiling code and using a x11 server for graphical windows, as Cairo composer is proprietary and open source software cannot interface with it. At least this was the situation on 10.0/10.1 releases...
Good to know, thx! I still don't see the point though :) How is that better than Ubuntu? %)
X220, 2 *T520

devinfriday
Freshman Member

#6 Post by devinfriday » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:58 pm

atagunov wrote:
devinfriday wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:04 pm
Good to know, thx! I still don't see the point though :) How is that better than Ubuntu? %)
Oh, it's just for your knowledge Image

P.P.A.

#7 Post by P.P.A. » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:28 pm

I recommend Debian over Ubuntu. In my experience it boots a little bit faster (with XFCE in both cases). Just be sure to use the installer with non-free firmware/drivers if you're using an Intel wi-fi card, select a good desktop environment during the installation, and it should be as easy to set up and use as any common Ubuntu distro. (I like XFCE but hear good things about KDE as well; avoid GNOME.)

zuhnc

#8 Post by zuhnc » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:13 pm

I havve a "new-to-me" T61P. I have multiple HD's on which various OS's are installed. I normally use Mageia 8, but am trying out Debian and Open Suse. I can dual-boot between Debian and Windoze 10, as for some things I need Windoze. I also have Windoze 7 Home Premium on a HD. All load quickly, and I have had no issues with any of them on the device. Pretty much pick your Linux flavor and install it. If it doesn't do what you want, install another flavor over it. Or have multiple HD's. zuhnc

Ibm1024

#9 Post by Ibm1024 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:02 pm

I'd recommend FreeBSD, its very lightweight runs extremely fast even on older hardware. Its really helpful if you install the X Windows System.

truepatriot9000

#10 Post by truepatriot9000 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:08 pm

I run VOID linux on everything. The BEST linux distro handsdown. Lowest system requirements, I have a toughbook with a P3 and 256mb ram, void runs without issue. Also runs without issue on crypto rigs, servers etc. You can install KDE or GNOME or whatever, and the documentation on the web is pretty good. The system really gets out of your way, and lets your computer perform to it's full potential. There is also a side project VOID PPC that runs on old macintosh hardware. If you have a G5 you can get an up to date firefox binary from the package manager on it.

Enter the VOID!

lol

OneByteCPU
Freshman Member
Location: Bracebridge, Canada in the deep woods of central Ontario

#11 Post by OneByteCPU » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:55 pm

32bit Windows 10 Pro.
Bill

WEissbr0t

#12 Post by WEissbr0t » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:01 am

Sounds strange, but I wanted to test out the max Windows, that's passible to run on my T61.
I installed Windows 11 (removed the TPM and SecureBoot checks with Rufus)
Ok, I swapped out the HDD to an SSD and upgraded the memory to 4GB. But it is running very well and I am also very surprised about the bootimes, especially after a previous shutdown, when windows uses the fast startup

mkonji

#13 Post by mkonji » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:50 pm

truepatriot9000 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:08 pm
I run VOID linux on everything. The BEST linux distro handsdown. Lowest system requirements, I have a toughbook with a P3 and 256mb ram, void runs without issue. Also runs without issue on crypto rigs, servers etc. You can install KDE or GNOME or whatever, and the documentation on the web is pretty good. The system really gets out of your way, and lets your computer perform to it's full potential. There is also a side project VOID PPC that runs on old macintosh hardware. If you have a G5 you can get an up to date firefox binary from the package manager on it.

Enter the VOID!

lol
Also a Void user and can really reccomend it. Currently using i3wm and ram usage is around 310mb idle and about a gig with browser, a few tabs and a ps1/dosbox emulator running.