Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

BEST LAPTOP CASE FOR T60P *PICS*

T60/T61 series specific matters only
ayja

BEST LAPTOP CASE FOR T60P *PICS*

#1 Post by ayja » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:32 pm

What cases are you gals and guys using? Does the 9volt battery prove to be a problem in finding a slim case that is sim quality and aesthetics as the think pad? Also what bluetooth mouse are you pairing with this laptop? Thanks

ageyfman

#2 Post by ageyfman » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:46 pm

I love my Timbuk2 messenger laptop bag (it's the classic, not a big fan of the other one). I like it because i bike everywhere, and it's UNBELIEVABLY stable when on a bike. It fits around your back, and is VERY slick. Also, the cross strap stabilizes it to a degree unavailable w/ a back pack. Overall, I love it. Plus, the Timbuk2 bags last forever. I have another one from like 6 years ago, and I've put it through its paces. It survived - as a matter of fact, it's my primary non-laptop bag (books, notebooks, etc) - I also used in college for all 4 years!
2623DDU T60p - 2.0 ghz Core Duo, 2 Gb Ram, 256MB FireGL V5200, 100Gb 7200 RPM HD
SOLD - MacBook Pro - 2.0 Ghz Core Duo, 2 Gb Ram, 256 x1600, 100Gb 7200 RPM HD

kskim91
Freshman Member

#3 Post by kskim91 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:02 pm

I've already have a backpack and to protect my notebook I use a vertical sleeve. The 9 cell battery does make it problematic. I've had to order a new larger one from Spireusa. Good option if you already have a good bag.
560, Powebook 180, Powerbook 520, 560E, 235, 560Z, 600, Tecra 8000, D3LL, T30, T43p, T60p, T30/Macbook...

jobes

#4 Post by jobes » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:18 pm

BB mouse I've used two which I both like. Blu-Take and IOGear.
2623DDU
On Order! 3-4-06
1st Ship Date 4-10
2nd Ship Date 4-29
Shipped on 3-24

wpwood3
Freshman Member

WaterField

#5 Post by wpwood3 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:46 pm

I have a WaterField sleeve case with flap, strap & piggyback for my T60. It is a beautiful, slim, well made case. It fits like a glove. Although I have the 6-cell battery, WaterField has a size that fits the 9-cell.
Bill
WP3 Photography
TP T60
TP 600
TP 760XD

onix
Freshman Member

#6 Post by onix » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:02 pm

Scratch
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by Scratch » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:24 pm

This bag is a great low cost option.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... ype=search

I've used one for my A31p, my PB G4 15", my T43p with a 9 cell and now for my T60p w/9 cell.

It is snug, but gives to fit over a short time. I would substitute an OpTech strap and clips for the included strap as it is crap...but the bag is great.

I keep an aluminum note board in the very slim rear pocket to even better protect the LCD and the front pocket holds a Logitech NB Mouse, the power brick and some misc bits.

It works great on its own and I use it as a sleeve sans strap in my Lowe Pro BP when necessary.

PM me for the strap info and I'd be happy to look it up.
T'Pad 600e, 770x, A20p, A21p, A30p, A31p (2653-H3U), T43p (2668-Q2U) & T60p (2623-DDU)...it's an addiction.

pundit

#8 Post by pundit » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:27 pm

If you're looking for some colour, you should look at Crumpler bags.

Since they give you the dimensions of their inner laptop carrying sleeves, you can easily evaluate whether your laptop (sticking out 9-cell and all) will fit in it.
Happily picks up his three grand; unhappily hands it over to another company.

archer6
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#9 Post by archer6 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:29 pm

pundit wrote:If you're looking for some colour, you should look at Crumpler bags.
I have a new Crumpler bag, and a very old Crumpler bag, they are fantastic. The old one looks as good as new, as they are very easy to clean. Very stylish and practical as well.

Another fav is my 6 mo old Timbuk2 (model: Commute XL) This works really well. Very high quality, comfortable to carry and provides a safe case that does not scream EXPENSIVE laptop!

Archer
Favorites From My ThinkPad Collection

Workstations... T40p ~ T41p ~ T42p ~ T43p ~ T60p ~ T61p ~ W500 ~ W510
T Series..... T22 ~ 30 ~ 40 ~ 41 ~ 42 ~ 43 ~ 60 ~ 400 ~ 500 ~ 510
X Series..... X20 ~ 30 ~ 40 ~ 60 ~ 60s ~ 200 ~ 200s ~ 301
Netbooks... S-10 ~ S-12

baraider

#10 Post by baraider » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:28 pm

This brings back lot of emotional memory we T4x users used to have when we discussed which is best for our new T4x babies..
Till this day, I haven't forgot the feeling when i first saw the IBM Japan sleeve

The discussion is here http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

And the hot babe in question is here

MOD EDIT: Normally in a post where there is no PIC warning in the subject line we don't post pic's just links, :)
Current: T60 2623-D6U, Ideapad S12 (upgraded to XP Pro)
Past: T42

jeremivw
Sophomore Member

#11 Post by jeremivw » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:20 pm

Man that's a cool sleeve/case/glove thing...why can't they be bought?

I've been look at my Razr and my iPod (both of which are black and have cool glove-fit sleeves and wondering, "Is there such a thing for a lappy?"

I would love a plush leather (T60p deserves it) glovelikefit "case" "sleeve" thingy THAT WOULD NEVER COME OFF because it has all the right holes in all the right places and allows me to fully utilize the pc (like I can fully utilize my phone with case on) AND provide constant protection. 8)

Anybody make anything like THAT?!? :roll:
T60p 2623DDU / 2GB DDR2 / Dual PCIe Gigabit NICs! (OB & ExpressCard) / CardBus 5-in1 / 3, 6 & 9 cell batts / travel 65W & dual 90W AC adapters / Kensington Pilot Mini BT Mouse

802 what?!? I Use EVDO every day and it rocks, man!

Kel Ghu
Sophomore Member

#12 Post by Kel Ghu » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:53 pm

baraider wrote:This brings back lot of emotional memory we T4x users used to have when we discussed which is best for our new T4x babies..
Till this day, I haven't forgot the feeling when i first saw the IBM Japan sleeve

The discussion is here http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

And the hot babe in question is here

I cant sleep now...
T61p - 6457-AN6
X60t - 6363-A7G - NMB - Sanyo[8]
T60p - 2007-83G - TMD - NMB - Sanyo (9)/Panasonic(6)
T43p - 2668-G4G - Hydis - NMB - Sanyo

Kyocera
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Location: North Carolina, ...in my mind I'm going to Carolina.....

#13 Post by Kyocera » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:44 pm

kaotic504:
the last time i made a reference/suggestion to buy a TimBuk2 bag, some people suggested that i may be gay. so i guess i won't suggest that one.
That post was discussed earlier today in the moderator forum. This is why I reminded members of the Rules of the Road.

Offenders will be dealt with, hopefully we are doing our job to keep this place free of offensive references. If we overlook something let one of us know. :)

newt43

Tom Bihn

#14 Post by newt43 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:40 am

Have you considered the Empire Builder briefcase from Tom Bihn? Get it with their special laptop sleeve, the "brain cell" and you have some superior--and stylish--protection for your machine. (No, I don't work for or own stock in Tom Bihn-- I just love their products.) Links to both products below:

Empire builder: http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0730
Brain cell: http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/mercha ... ode=TB0300

Cheers!

bmfyxpp

#15 Post by bmfyxpp » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:40 am

I went with the Waterfield Cargo Mambo Combo:

http://www.sfbags.com/products/mambocom ... osuite.htm

The T60 itself goes into the sleeve, which I can then put into the Cargo bag when I need to transport my TP, or leave out when I'm using it for other purposes. The extra Cableguy pouch holds an extra adapter, a 9-cell battery, and still has plenty of room for other stuff.

The whole thing is expensive, it's true, but you're getting top-notch quality and style. A much less expensive option, as someone else pointed out, is to get just the sleeve with a strap and a piggyback for accessories:

http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleeveca ... ecases.htm

donking!

#16 Post by donking! » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:56 am

Does anyone have any experience with the laptop backpacks? The two I've seen so far that I like are the:

Timbuk2 Ace Day Pack
Tom Bihn Brain Bag

Of those two I'm leaning towards the Brain Bag. It seems a little more stylish and like it has better color choices.

On more substantive grounds, I want something that has good compression straps (hate it when my backpack is flopping way back when it's not very full). The Ace Day Pack has an interesting contruction in this respect. I also want something with good water proofing, especially around the zippers.

Any other thoughts about backpacks?

Kel Ghu
Sophomore Member

#17 Post by Kel Ghu » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:08 am

T61p - 6457-AN6
X60t - 6363-A7G - NMB - Sanyo[8]
T60p - 2007-83G - TMD - NMB - Sanyo (9)/Panasonic(6)
T43p - 2668-G4G - Hydis - NMB - Sanyo

Ponch
Freshman Member

#18 Post by Ponch » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:52 am

jagged
Sophomore Member

#19 Post by jagged » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:10 am

I've been using a Tumi Gen 4.4 nylon business case for almost a year and I'm now using it as an everyday bag for my T60.

Its not cheap but I think it has the quality, functionality, and prestige to satisfy most people.

:)

donking!

#20 Post by donking! » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:16 pm

The booq bags are pretty nice. Especially their semi-rigid sleeves. No compression straps on their backpacks, however. But otherwise nice designs.

Here's another company that makes a few decent looking backpacks and messenger bags:

http://www.spireusa.com/

[Edit: And a few more interesting laptop bag options. Don't think any of them are for me, but maybe someone else would like them.

http://www.slappa.com/site/velocity.html
http://www.acmemade.com/bags.html
http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/N ... pageid=155
http://www.pinderbags.com/
http://www.zegari.com/ ]

ageyfman

#21 Post by ageyfman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:24 pm

pundit wrote:If you're looking for some colour, you should look at Crumpler bags.

Since they give you the dimensions of their inner laptop carrying sleeves, you can easily evaluate whether your laptop (sticking out 9-cell and all) will fit in it.
if you're into this type of look, go w/ the Timbuk2 - they are much more durable.
2623DDU T60p - 2.0 ghz Core Duo, 2 Gb Ram, 256MB FireGL V5200, 100Gb 7200 RPM HD
SOLD - MacBook Pro - 2.0 Ghz Core Duo, 2 Gb Ram, 256 x1600, 100Gb 7200 RPM HD

pundit

#22 Post by pundit » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:06 pm

I really like most of these. But I must say, (and I really really really wanted to buy one of the acmemades before I snapped out of it) won't these generally clash with the super-serious business-like look that the ThinkPads seem to pull off so well?

pundit

#23 Post by pundit » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:08 pm

ageyfman wrote:

if you're into this type of look, go w/ the Timbuk2 - they are much more durable.
But the crumplers look so much cooler (IMO) because they offer more non-shiny (I don't know what Timbuk2's technical term for it is) finishes on the bag.

donking!

#24 Post by donking! » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:47 am

pundit wrote:
I really like most of these. But I must say, (and I really really really wanted to buy one of the acmemades before I snapped out of it) won't these generally clash with the super-serious business-like look that the ThinkPads seem to pull off so well?
I think the leather Levenger laptop sleeves and the very high fashion Zegari briefcase would go with the seriousness of the ThinkPad look.

archer6
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#25 Post by archer6 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:13 pm

OK...OK...OK... True Confessions I have (10) laptop bags, how sick is that?
Didn't even realize how many until I just counted them.
Hartman, Coach, Tumi, Brenthaven & booqbag (business). Crumpler, Timbuk2, Oakley, Trager & Bihn (fun/casual) 8)

Netbooks... S-10 ~ S-12

donking!

#26 Post by donking! » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:22 am

Impressive. How about a review of each one?

Here's a couple other links for some bags:

http://www.briggs-riley.com/businesscas ... /index.asp
http://gravisfootwear.com/products/coll ... ionID=4504

archer6
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#27 Post by archer6 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:12 pm

donking! wrote:Impressive. How about a review of each one
OK here is a review.
1) Hartman: has very nice leather. Quite durable and a very classic look. Good computer compartment with quality padding. The lining material of this laptop case is stylish and very well done. Overall as a business case for those times (frequently) when I'm in a suit, this is my second favorite. After 3 years, still looks great.
2) Coach: (My Fav Business Bag) now this is a really classy bag, with an unbeatable lifetime warranty. Actually I have two of these. One that is five years old and has been all over the world with me. Finally last summer the stitching around the handle frayed. Nothing more. I sent it in and they returned it in a week. They not only replaced the handle they refurbished the entire case! New hardware, treated, buffed, and removed most of the scratches that come from regular (admittedly very careful) use. In addition they sent me a gift certifcate! So when I was in San Francisco I visited the store there, saw a new style and bought it with my $100. gift certificate.
3) Tumi: a great bag with an attractive interior material and trim style. The leather is nice and has an attractive finnish, just not quite up to the Coach standard. I bought the expandable model and it has come in handy on long trips when I tend to bring more things home. I bought this bag when my luggage was lost by the airlines. They reimbursed me well, and I had enough left over to buy a matching computer case, as all my luggage is Tumi.
4) Brenthaven: The only Ballistic Nylon case in my business collection. Very rugged, and more suited to business casual look. Great computer compartment very well padded. Comfortable shoulder strap. 3 years old and looking like new. Not a scratch because of the materials used.
5) booqbag: Very different styling, great stitching. Good compartments and a very comfortable strap, however that could also be said for the others. Since all of these are expensive you do indeed get what you pay for. I've only had this one 6 months so I cannot comment on durability although I no reason to be concerned.
I treat all my leather bags, luggage, etc with a cleaner & conditioner and it makes a very significant difference in the look and longevity of the bags. I like the look of a bag that has been cared for a used. It develops character, and a certain unique look which makes it mine.
6) Crumpler: I first saw these at Macworld in SF. The line was so long that by the time it was my turn they had sold out. So I went online and found a place in the US that sells them. Very funky, colorful in an odd way. The colors are just different in terms of shades, for example yellow (interior) is actually a toned down orange. Different colors for the piping, massive velcro closures in the insides of the flap closure, just very different. When I first saw them it took awhile to get used to the look, and that's exactly why I bought one. It was outside my comfort zone, and yet really cool. Now THIS is a durable and very well padded bag with lots of pockets and space for you laptop and stuff. This bag gets a lot of positive attention. Lots of colors to choose from when you buy one.
7) Timbuk2: 100% made in the USA! Check out the web site. In SF on business with some retailers and was offered a tour of the Timbuk2 "factory". Very impressive, very environmentally aware, great morale of employess. They custom made a bag for me. This has become my favorite casual weekend, fun bag. While it is a messenger style bag, the strap is removable which is nice. I take my laptop everywhere and this is one bag that is very versatile. Besides being very well made and sturdy, it's also very light.
The have a portion of the web site dedicated to custom bags where you can choose colors, material, straps, accessory pockets, etc. Also it has a double padded waterproof (not just resistant) rubberized bottom. Especially designed for people like me that are picky and want it to look like new always. This bag is a real value, as it's less expensive than the Crumpler and every bit as high quality. From a durability standpoint, I feel they are equal.
8) Oakley: a very contemporary look. I really like Oakley products and a trip to one of the "O" Stores is fun. This is a company that understands branding and "the look". This is a ballistic nylon bag with suede like leather reinforcements on the corners. Rugged fasteners and the ever popular Oakley logo's. I also purchased their ICON backback which has a side zipper for access to the laptop without having to open that backback. Works great as just a backpack (or) a laptop carrier. Great choice of colors. They also have a great website. Cool sunglasses, and watches too.
9) Trager: In Seattle on business and found Trager. Another impressive operation. Utilitariun and resonable style. Comes with a removable insert for the computer. I chose a vertical case which is quite nice for something different, and very comfortable on the shoulder.
10) Tom Bihn: Somewhat like the Trager with better styling, but that's just my opinion. The optional removable computer case is quite nice. Zippers, compartments, pockets, all very nice a quite usefull. A crossover between a business / casual case.
Summary: Check out the respective web sites. Especially Timbuk2, Crumpler, Tumi & Oakley. Crumpler is made in Australia. I purchased mine online from a fantastic company at www.bagyou.com. They provide exceptional service, the best prices and no I don't know them or an I promoting them, just a good co. to do business with. Timbuk2 is also great to deal with and very fast at making custom bags.
Hope this helps, this forum has certainly helped me.
Archer

Netbooks... S-10 ~ S-12

nhidog

#28 Post by nhidog » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:02 pm

Just got the waterfield sleeve case and it's great. Simple, stylish, and much better looking in person than any website pictures. Great case for great laptop. This is my 3rd laptop and my 3rd case, and I couldn't be happier.

Compaq/$20 generic case
Powerbook/$45 MacCase
T60/$101 Waterfield

Odd how more expensive laptop get more expensive cases.

Army Chief
Freshman Member

#29 Post by Army Chief » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:57 am

Archer,

Many thanks for a spectacular and comprehensive post!

Chief
ThinkPad 750Cs | 760E | 770Z (x2) | A31 | T41 (2379 DJU) | T60 (2007 76U) | X220 (4286-CTO)

donking!

#30 Post by donking! » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:24 am

archer6,

Yeah, thanks for the great review.

On the Crumpler and Tom Bihn, those are shoulder style bags you have, I take it?

I'm really looking for a backpack and for the time being think I've narrowed it down to the Tom Bihn Brain Bag and the Crumpler backpacks (or maybe the Timbuk2 Ace Day Pack). Anyone have either of those?

The Crumpler's looking cool. I'm intrigued by their rear opening style. But they don't have compression straps. That something that really bugs me about my current, very run of the mill, back pack.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts from anyone on these backpacks. And thanks again archer6 for the great reviews!

donking!