Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Customizing the T60(p) BIOS splash screen logo

T60/T61 series specific matters only
CupOfJoe
Freshman Member

Customizing the T60(p) BIOS splash screen logo

#1 Post by CupOfJoe » Wed May 24, 2006 9:19 am

OK folks,

With Lenovo having just put out a flash update for the BIOS, I decided to take a shot at customizing the BIOS splash screen.

No -- it is not difficult to do this by any stretch of the imagination (the directions are right in the download file from Lenovo's site) -- but I thought I'd share a snap shot of how mine came out.

Now god forsake me, but as many of you know -- it is difficult as heck to take a good picture of an LCD screen (at least for me it is).

So although the picture looks crappy -- I'm very happy with the actual result.

Does customizing the BIOS splash screen do anything for the machine other than the brief addition of a piece of cosmetic eye candy? No, of course not.

But ya gotta have *some* fun with your new, expensive machine, huh?

See it here... (note: picture is about 61KB)

http://www.geocities.com/tp_t60p/boot-logo.jpg

Cheers,
-CupOfJoe

P.S. -- and yes, I'm a fan of the old-school style logo ...
T60p (200783U -- with 2GB of RAM)

bessel
Freshman Member

Re: Customizing the T60(p) BIOS splash screen logo

#2 Post by bessel » Wed May 24, 2006 11:16 am

Hi, where can you get the *new* boot picture?

BTW, for folks wondering what CupOfJoe was talking about:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-63024
CupOfJoe wrote:OK folks,

With Lenovo having just put out a flash update for the BIOS, I decided to take a shot at customizing the BIOS splash screen.

No -- it is not difficult to do this by any stretch of the imagination (the directions are right in the download file from Lenovo's site) -- but I thought I'd share a snap shot of how mine came out.

Now god forsake me, but as many of you know -- it is difficult as heck to take a good picture of an LCD screen (at least for me it is).

So although the picture looks crappy -- I'm very happy with the actual result.

Does customizing the BIOS splash screen do anything for the machine other than the brief addition of a piece of cosmetic eye candy? No, of course not.

But ya gotta have *some* fun with your new, expensive machine, huh?

See it here... (note: picture is about 61KB)

http://www.geocities.com/tp_t60p/boot-logo.jpg

Cheers,
-CupOfJoe

P.S. -- and yes, I'm a fan of the old-school style logo ...

grimmster

#3 Post by grimmster » Wed May 24, 2006 2:25 pm

get rid of the 'product of lenovo' part and I'd be all over that.

good job. maybe I need to start working on one.

sergeycentral

#4 Post by sergeycentral » Wed May 24, 2006 2:35 pm

does this program allow you to make your own boot logo? that is to import say a bmp or png image to use? thats what i'm really looking for.. my own logo.
Image T60p 2007-C8U: 2.16GHz Duo / 1gb RAM / 256mb ATI FireGL V5200 / 100gb 7200rpm / 15'' UXGA 1600x1200 Flexview IPS / Wireless A-B-G, Gb Eth, Bluetooth / CDRW-DVD / 6.4lbs / 4.5hr battery

bessel
Freshman Member

#5 Post by bessel » Wed May 24, 2006 2:35 pm

I tried but no successful; always says incorrect .bmp file even though I used a 4-bit (16) palette. Wonder if you guys get it working, could you please also share the logo.scr file? Also I am curious if it is possible to convert a logo.scr file back to .bmp so I can edit it. Thanks!

EDIT: I figured out that the bitmap file is logo.mod, not logo.scr, the script file, hehe...
grimmster wrote:get rid of the 'product of lenovo' part and I'd be all over that.

Last edited by bessel on Wed May 24, 2006 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CupOfJoe
Freshman Member

#6 Post by CupOfJoe » Wed May 24, 2006 2:50 pm

grimmster wrote:get rid of the 'product of lenovo' part and I'd be all over that.

Unfortunately, it doesn't let you get rid of that part. :-(

-CupOfJoe

CupOfJoe
Freshman Member

#7 Post by CupOfJoe » Wed May 24, 2006 2:53 pm

sergeycentral wrote:does this program allow you to make your own boot logo? that is to import say a bmp or png image to use? thats what i'm really looking for.. my own logo.

Basically, what worked for me after reading the instructions, you need to create a BMP file -- which is 16 colors (not 16 bit color!), make it 640x480, name the file "logo.bmp", and then use the LOGO.BAT program they supply to convert it to a file called "logo.mod".

Then, after running the flash update, viola -- you've got a new splash screen.

-CupOfJoe

CupOfJoe
Freshman Member

#8 Post by CupOfJoe » Wed May 24, 2006 3:02 pm

bessel wrote:I tried but no successful; always says incorrect .bmp file even though I used a 4-bit (16) palette. Wonder if you guys get it working, could you please also share the logo.scr file? Also I am curious if it is possible to convert a logo.scr file back to .bmp so I can edit it. Thanks!
The "logo.scr" file has nothing to do with the process (at least I didn't have to touch that file during the whole process.)

What I'll do is upload the BMP file I used, then you can try the conversion on that (see my other message above about using the LOGO.BAT to convert LOGO.BMP to LOGO.MOD), and then flash your BIOS. (Be sure to put it in the flash directory.)

You may ask where I got that splash logo? I just googled Thinkpad logo via Google Images and found a suitable image. Then I canvased (Photoshop speak for extending the image to the appropriate size) the image to 640x480, and saved it in 16 color format.

Here's the file (size is about 151KB) ...

http://www.geocities.com/tp_t60p/logo.bmp

Hoep this helps...
-CupOfJoe

P.S. -- Also, you could just make your own 640x480, 16-color BMP image and use that, of course.

bessel
Freshman Member

#9 Post by bessel » Wed May 24, 2006 3:21 pm

Yeah I figured that out. I did some fine tuning of the color table so I got a better quality; hmm no way to remove the lenovo logo though.
CupOfJoe wrote:
bessel wrote:I tried but no successful; always says incorrect .bmp file even though I used a 4-bit (16) palette. Wonder if you guys get it working, could you please also share the logo.scr file? Also I am curious if it is possible to convert a logo.scr file back to .bmp so I can edit it. Thanks!
The "logo.scr" file has nothing to do with the process (at least I didn't have to touch that file during the whole process.)

What I'll do is upload the BMP file I used, then you can try the conversion on that (see my other message above about using the LOGO.BAT to convert LOGO.BMP to LOGO.MOD), and then flash your BIOS. (Be sure to put it in the flash directory.)

You may ask where I got that splash logo? I just googled Thinkpad logo via Google Images and found a suitable image. Then I canvased (Photoshop speak for extending the image to the appropriate size) the image to 640x480, and saved it in 16 color format.

Here's the file (size is about 151KB) ...

Hoep this helps...
-CupOfJoe

P.S. -- Also, you could just make your own 640x480, 16-color BMP image and use that, of course.

sergeycentral

#10 Post by sergeycentral » Wed May 24, 2006 5:14 pm

CupOfJoe wrote: Here's the file (size is about 151KB) ...

Wow, awesome!

Good contribution man. Im gonna have to get that program and use this image.
Image T60p 2007-C8U: 2.16GHz Duo / 1gb RAM / 256mb ATI FireGL V5200 / 100gb 7200rpm / 15'' UXGA 1600x1200 Flexview IPS / Wireless A-B-G, Gb Eth, Bluetooth / CDRW-DVD / 6.4lbs / 4.5hr battery

bessel
Freshman Member

#11 Post by bessel » Wed May 24, 2006 10:15 pm

See if anyone likes mine (no Thinkpad logo):
http://www.geocities.com/hofdichter/dragon_logo.png
Last edited by bessel on Fri May 26, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sergeycentral

#12 Post by sergeycentral » Wed May 24, 2006 11:07 pm

thats badass

-edit-

so how exatly do i update the logo?

after i updated to logo.mod using logo.bat, i executed:
winphlash.exe /L logo.mod
and got an error...?