Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Should I Buy T60p?

T60/T61 series specific matters only
Post Reply
Message
Author
JPOESQ
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 2:26 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

Should I Buy T60p?

#1 Post by JPOESQ » Tue May 29, 2007 11:42 am

My daughter needs a replacement for her T41p. Should I buy a new T60p?
Last edited by JPOESQ on Wed May 30, 2007 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John P. O'Banion, JD, PE, BSEE
Registered Patent Attorney
http://www.intellectual.com

600, X220 (McDonnell bios, Linux), X230, T530 (1vyrain bios), X1 Carbon 5th Signature Edition

agarza
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1530
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Guadalajara, Jalisco MEXICO

#2 Post by agarza » Tue May 29, 2007 12:02 pm

It depends on the use of the laptop. T60p have a very powerful graphic card, getting a T60 with integrated graphics would give her a silent machine.
T61 seems like a good way to go to. People have complained about the offcentered LCD screen (which is only noticeable if you watch it from feet away).
On the other hand, the T60 with the X1400 seems to be a proven reliable laptop
Current
T440p:
Core i7-4710MQ|16GB RAM|Intel 200GB SSD| 14.1" AUO IPS FHD|Win 7 Pro|T450 Trackpad|Backlit keyboard|2nd Caddy

T460p:
Core i5-6300HQ|16GB RAM|lPNY 256GB SSD| 14.1" Panasonic IPS WQHD|Win 7 Pro
Past: T420 HD+, X61s XGA, T61 14" SXGA+, T42p 14.1 SXGA+, T30, A22e

pianowizard
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder
Posts: 8520
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:07 am
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Contact:

#3 Post by pianowizard » Tue May 29, 2007 12:05 pm

JPOESQ, what will your daughter use the laptop for? Does she really need the most powerful Thinkpad currently available?
HP Pavilion x2 12-b096ms (12.0" 1920x1280, Core M3-6Y30, 3.14lb); Microsoft Surface 3 (10.8" 1920x1280, Atom x7-Z8700, 2.00lb)
Dell OptiPlex 5040 SFF (Core i5-6600)
Acer ET322QK, T272HUL; Crossover 404K; Monoprice 10734; QNIX QHD2410R; Seiki Pro SM40UNP

Brad
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member
Posts: 1874
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:41 am
Location: Long Island New York

#4 Post by Brad » Tue May 29, 2007 12:17 pm

John,

If this is an option she can have your T43p and you get the T60p unless, of course, she is paying the bill.

Brad
Long Island New York
T43p 2669-Q1U, A22p's UTU A21p HXU
Transnote, 770's 8AU, 600, 701CS, 755CD

JPOESQ
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 2:26 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

#5 Post by JPOESQ » Tue May 29, 2007 12:48 pm

xtr wrote:It depends on the use of the laptop. T60p have a very powerful graphic card, getting a T60 with integrated graphics would give her a silent machine.
T61 seems like a good way to go to. People have complained about the offcentered LCD screen (which is only noticeable if you watch it from feet away).
On the other hand, the T60 with the X1400 seems to be a proven reliable laptop
Thanks. I had considered the T61, but she doesn't want a larger footprint - the standard 14.1" screen gives her the largest notebook that she really wants to carry around.

Good suggestion about the integrated graphics - my X60s has integrated graphics and is virtually silent. My T43p, on the other hand, is loud.

With the T60, are you suggesting XGA instead of SXGA?
John P. O'Banion, JD, PE, BSEE
Registered Patent Attorney
http://www.intellectual.com

600, X220 (McDonnell bios, Linux), X230, T530 (1vyrain bios), X1 Carbon 5th Signature Edition

JPOESQ
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 2:26 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

#6 Post by JPOESQ » Tue May 29, 2007 12:50 pm

pianowizard wrote:JPOESQ, what will your daughter use the laptop for? Does she really need the most powerful Thinkpad currently available?
She uses it primarily for word processing, spreadsheets, and financial/analytical software. I was considering the T60p since she was moving from a T41p and wanted to get her something comparable so that the shift would be barely noticeable.
Last edited by JPOESQ on Tue May 29, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John P. O'Banion, JD, PE, BSEE
Registered Patent Attorney
http://www.intellectual.com

600, X220 (McDonnell bios, Linux), X230, T530 (1vyrain bios), X1 Carbon 5th Signature Edition

JPOESQ
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 2:26 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

#7 Post by JPOESQ » Tue May 29, 2007 12:51 pm

Brad wrote:John,

If this is an option she can have your T43p and you get the T60p unless, of course, she is paying the bill.

Brad
Hi Brad,

I would give her the T43p, but it's a 15" model and just too large for her. I tried to convince her to go with an X60s because it's so portable (it's what I carry with me everywhere), but she decided that the screen was too small.
John P. O'Banion, JD, PE, BSEE
Registered Patent Attorney
http://www.intellectual.com

600, X220 (McDonnell bios, Linux), X230, T530 (1vyrain bios), X1 Carbon 5th Signature Edition

agarza
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1530
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Guadalajara, Jalisco MEXICO

#8 Post by agarza » Tue May 29, 2007 2:36 pm

The T60p is OK to BUY, but bare in mind the machine would run with a hyperactive fan. I'm unsure if he likes the standard 4:3 form factor or the WideScreen. Apparently T60's WS run cool and quiet. In respect to the screen resolution, it all comes down to tastes, I do like the SXGA+ screen, since your daughter uses analytical software it might be a good choice to go for the Widescreen.

If you're still considering getting a performance Thinkpad, you should wait a few more and decide whether or not to get the newest T61p, for sure the fan would turn on less often.
Current
T440p:
Core i7-4710MQ|16GB RAM|Intel 200GB SSD| 14.1" AUO IPS FHD|Win 7 Pro|T450 Trackpad|Backlit keyboard|2nd Caddy

T460p:
Core i5-6300HQ|16GB RAM|lPNY 256GB SSD| 14.1" Panasonic IPS WQHD|Win 7 Pro
Past: T420 HD+, X61s XGA, T61 14" SXGA+, T42p 14.1 SXGA+, T30, A22e

JPOESQ
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 2:26 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

#9 Post by JPOESQ » Tue May 29, 2007 2:53 pm

xtr wrote:The T60p is OK to BUY, but bare in mind the machine would run with a hyperactive fan. I'm unsure if he likes the standard 4:3 form factor or the WideScreen. Apparently T60's WS run cool and quiet. In respect to the screen resolution, it all comes down to tastes, I do like the SXGA+ screen, since your daughter uses analytical software it might be a good choice to go for the Widescreen.

If you're still considering getting a performance Thinkpad, you should wait a few more and decide whether or not to get the newest T61p, for sure the fan would turn on less often.
Hmmm. So the T60p must have the same fan on a sugar high that that is in the T43p - it's enough to drive you nuts at times if you are in a quiet room.

The WS version would be great for spreadsheets, but my daughter doesn't want the additional bulk - I know that it's only about an inch wider, but that's still larger.

Do we know for certain that a T61p will be quieter?
John P. O'Banion, JD, PE, BSEE
Registered Patent Attorney
http://www.intellectual.com

600, X220 (McDonnell bios, Linux), X230, T530 (1vyrain bios), X1 Carbon 5th Signature Edition

DenverBrian
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:40 pm
Location: Denver, CO

#10 Post by DenverBrian » Tue May 29, 2007 10:28 pm

xtr wrote:The T60p is OK to BUY, but bare in mind the machine would run with a hyperactive fan. I'm unsure if he likes the standard 4:3 form factor or the WideScreen. Apparently T60's WS run cool and quiet. In respect to the screen resolution, it all comes down to tastes, I do like the SXGA+ screen, since your daughter uses analytical software it might be a good choice to go for the Widescreen.

If you're still considering getting a performance Thinkpad, you should wait a few more and decide whether or not to get the newest T61p, for sure the fan would turn on less often.
FWIW, my T60p WS runs cool and quiet. 8743-CTO. Purchased direct from Lenovo.

brrmax
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:06 am
Location: St. Peters, MO

#11 Post by brrmax » Wed May 30, 2007 3:06 pm

It appears the T60p price is dropping fast at Lenovo retailers. I have been watching the 8744J2U drop over the last couple of weeks from $1,920 to $1,850 to the current price of $1,747 on Euclid Computer's site.

I have a T61 on order, but am starting to wonder if I should cancel and get a T60p. There is no shipping fee or sales tax and it would ship next day. Hmmmm....

agarza
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1530
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Guadalajara, Jalisco MEXICO

#12 Post by agarza » Wed May 30, 2007 3:43 pm

JPOESQ wrote: Do we know for certain that a T61p will be quieter?
I would bet you the T61p would be quieter than T60's
Current
T440p:
Core i7-4710MQ|16GB RAM|Intel 200GB SSD| 14.1" AUO IPS FHD|Win 7 Pro|T450 Trackpad|Backlit keyboard|2nd Caddy

T460p:
Core i5-6300HQ|16GB RAM|lPNY 256GB SSD| 14.1" Panasonic IPS WQHD|Win 7 Pro
Past: T420 HD+, X61s XGA, T61 14" SXGA+, T42p 14.1 SXGA+, T30, A22e

jns2001
User with bad email address, PLEASE fix!
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 7:07 am
Location: Dallas, TX, USA

#13 Post by jns2001 » Wed May 30, 2007 4:21 pm

brrmax wrote:It appears the T60p price is dropping fast at Lenovo retailers. I have been watching the 8744J2U drop over the last couple of weeks from $1,920 to $1,850 to the current price of $1,747 on Euclid Computer's site.

I have a T61 on order, but am starting to wonder if I should cancel and get a T60p. There is no shipping fee or sales tax and it would ship next day. Hmmmm....
Too bad that I didn't know this site before. I bought an 8744-J2U about a month ago and I paid 2,085 with express shipping. :cry:

Jan_Hoho
Freshman Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 11:49 am
Location: Portland, OR

#14 Post by Jan_Hoho » Wed May 30, 2007 4:37 pm

JPOESQ wrote:She uses it primarily for word processing, spreadsheets, and financial/analytical software. I was considering the T60p since she was moving from a T41p and wanted to get her something comparable so that the shift would be barely noticeable.
To be quite honest, I think a T60p would be complete overkill. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like your daughter is not really into computers. If she is primarily concerned what the computer looks like and feels like, rather than what's in it, a T60p is the last thing on earth she needs.

Of course I might be missing some information here...

JPOESQ
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 2:26 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

#15 Post by JPOESQ » Wed May 30, 2007 4:39 pm

brrmax wrote:It appears the T60p price is dropping fast at Lenovo retailers. I have been watching the 8744J2U drop over the last couple of weeks from $1,920 to $1,850 to the current price of $1,747 on Euclid Computer's site.

I have a T61 on order, but am starting to wonder if I should cancel and get a T60p. There is no shipping fee or sales tax and it would ship next day. Hmmmm....
Ok, so I bit the bullet and ordered a loaded T60p (2613CTO) with the fast processor, 2gig of memory, 100gig 7200 rpm drive, a/b/g/n atheros wireless, dvd burner, etc. Lenovo had their 25% off sale for Memorial Day and I got another 5% off through the ABA. The price came to $1803.91, which includes a 3-year depot repair and damage protection updgrade.
John P. O'Banion, JD, PE, BSEE
Registered Patent Attorney
http://www.intellectual.com

600, X220 (McDonnell bios, Linux), X230, T530 (1vyrain bios), X1 Carbon 5th Signature Edition

pianowizard
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder
Posts: 8520
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:07 am
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Contact:

#16 Post by pianowizard » Wed May 30, 2007 4:41 pm

Jan_Hoho wrote:If she is primarily concerned what the computer looks like and feels like, rather than what's in it, a T60p is the last thing on earth she needs...
Agreed. For an adequate laptop that looks nice, feels nice, is solid and quite portable, the Dell Latitude D620 would be a much better choice.
HP Pavilion x2 12-b096ms (12.0" 1920x1280, Core M3-6Y30, 3.14lb); Microsoft Surface 3 (10.8" 1920x1280, Atom x7-Z8700, 2.00lb)
Dell OptiPlex 5040 SFF (Core i5-6600)
Acer ET322QK, T272HUL; Crossover 404K; Monoprice 10734; QNIX QHD2410R; Seiki Pro SM40UNP

JPOESQ
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 2:26 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

#17 Post by JPOESQ » Wed May 30, 2007 4:43 pm

Jan_Hoho wrote:
JPOESQ wrote:She uses it primarily for word processing, spreadsheets, and financial/analytical software. I was considering the T60p since she was moving from a T41p and wanted to get her something comparable so that the shift would be barely noticeable.
To be quite honest, I think a T60p would be complete overkill. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like your daughter is not really into computers. If she is primarily concerned what the computer looks like and feels like, rather than what's in it, a T60p is the last thing on earth she needs.

Of course I might be missing some information here...
Hi Jan,

My daughter is definitely not a techie, but a "computer user" (although she can replace a hard drive, memory, etc. in a TP). I have always bought her the latest Txxp version, and given the same machine that I would buy for myself (that's how I have two T41p's at present). Yes, it's probably overkill, but heck, it seems that the price differential is nominal.

Besides, if she doesn't like it for some reason, I get a new computer!
John P. O'Banion, JD, PE, BSEE
Registered Patent Attorney
http://www.intellectual.com

600, X220 (McDonnell bios, Linux), X230, T530 (1vyrain bios), X1 Carbon 5th Signature Edition

Jan_Hoho
Freshman Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 11:49 am
Location: Portland, OR

#18 Post by Jan_Hoho » Wed May 30, 2007 5:40 pm

JPOESQ wrote:My daughter is definitely not a techie, but a "computer user" (although she can replace a hard drive, memory, etc. in a TP). I have always bought her the latest Txxp version, and given the same machine that I would buy for myself (that's how I have two T41p's at present). Yes, it's probably overkill, but heck, it seems that the price differential is nominal.
Well, I see what you mean. I, too, like to make sure getting the best hardware available, not because I need it but because it is available.

But wouldn't a T60p even be a worse choice than some other TP's available? I've never had a T60p so it's quite possible I have no idea what I'm talking about, but it appears that for someone primarily doing office applications, a 256MB FireGL is a poor choice (in terms of battery life etc.). A super silent T61 with Intel graphics seems much more appropriate to me.
Besides, if she doesn't like it for some reason, I get a new computer!
Ah, THIS reasoning I understand perfectly...:mrgreen:

JPOESQ
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 2:26 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

#19 Post by JPOESQ » Wed May 30, 2007 8:54 pm

Jan_Hoho wrote:
JPOESQ wrote:My daughter is definitely not a techie, but a "computer user" (although she can replace a hard drive, memory, etc. in a TP). I have always bought her the latest Txxp version, and given the same machine that I would buy for myself (that's how I have two T41p's at present). Yes, it's probably overkill, but heck, it seems that the price differential is nominal.
Well, I see what you mean. I, too, like to make sure getting the best hardware available, not because I need it but because it is available.

But wouldn't a T60p even be a worse choice than some other TP's available? I've never had a T60p so it's quite possible I have no idea what I'm talking about, but it appears that for someone primarily doing office applications, a 256MB FireGL is a poor choice (in terms of battery life etc.). A super silent T61 with Intel graphics seems much more appropriate to me.
Besides, if she doesn't like it for some reason, I get a new computer!
Ah, THIS reasoning I understand perfectly...:mrgreen:
It's a difficult decision to make; that's a certainty. I always seem to migrate toward the "top of the line" product offering, whether it's cars, computers, or the like. My daughter isn't terribly concerned about battery life because AC power is usually available, and I've haven't experienced any fan noise coming from 2 T60p's that business associates use.
John P. O'Banion, JD, PE, BSEE
Registered Patent Attorney
http://www.intellectual.com

600, X220 (McDonnell bios, Linux), X230, T530 (1vyrain bios), X1 Carbon 5th Signature Edition

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “ThinkPad T6x Series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests