Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

I want to see the hidden RR files in C:

T60/T61 series specific matters only
MeCasa

I want to see the hidden RR files in C:

#1 Post by MeCasa » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:37 pm

To the best of my knowledge I have never directed any backup to C: Drive. All backups are kept elsewhere as are all Applications and Folders including My Docs. The only Apps I allow in C:\Program Files are those factory installed. Yet my C: drive has grown to over 9 gigs.

I'd like to be able to find what is causing my C: to grow. I have 'Show Hidden Folders' enabled but I still cannot see the RR, I can see it in Partition Magic but it shows empty and I'm not sure that's correct.

Thanks

mgo
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

Re: I want to see the hidden RR files in C:

#2 Post by mgo » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:33 pm

MeCasa wrote:To the best of my knowledge I have never directed any backup to C: Drive. All backups are kept elsewhere as are all Applications and Folders including My Docs. The only Apps I allow in C:\Program Files are those factory installed. Yet my C: drive has grown to over 9 gigs.

I'd like to be able to find what is causing my C: to grow. I have 'Show Hidden Folders' enabled but I still cannot see the RR, I can see it in Partition Magic but it shows empty and I'm not sure that's correct.

Thanks
Have you tried to read them out of the Rescue & Recovery program itself? As I recall that is the only way to access those files.

I also seem to remember that R&R runs a scheduler. You ought to be able to stop that within the program as well.

My memory is a little faded on this, since I haven not used the program for a year or so...

MeCasa

#3 Post by MeCasa » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:50 pm

Very good lead, I'm not overly familiar with all aspects of the RR Software but as per your suggestion I'll be learning starting today. One way or another I will find out where my partition is disappearing to.

Thanks

EDIT: Does anybody remember how much disk (not including the hidden partition) a Thinkpad running XP uses when shipped from factory.

Ideasmiths
Sophomore Member

Re: I want to see the hidden RR files in C:

#4 Post by Ideasmiths » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:14 pm

MeCasa wrote:To the best of my knowledge I have never directed any backup to C: Drive. All backups are kept elsewhere as are all Applications and Folders including My Docs. The only Apps I allow in C:\Program Files are those factory installed. Yet my C: drive has grown to over 9 gigs.

Thanks
You can try downloading the free 30 days trial of Disktrix Ultimatedefrag. With this defragmentation tools, you can see most of the hidden files of RnR.
Do what is important, not what is urgent

MeCasa

#5 Post by MeCasa » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:32 pm

Thank you sir

I'm currently going through C: drive and adding up file sizes. I've already found some surprising results such as IBM Tools, this is a folder residing in C using 1.4 gigs.

alacrityathome
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by alacrityathome » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:46 pm

MeCasa,

If my memory is correct, I have been able to see the partitions three different ways:

...Use an XP Install boot disk

...Use Acronis Disk Director boot disk

...Use a Linux Live CD boot disk that reads windows files ... like Ubuntu.

Alacrity
HP Omnibook 800CT 166Mhz Pentium I with PuppyLinux (just to see if it is still possible!)

T61P 6459CTO, T7800 2.6G, WSXGA+, 2G RAM, Quadro FX 570M 256M, 160G 5400 rpm, Intel wireless IPW4965 AGN, fingerprint reader, Windows XP Professional.

phil san

#7 Post by phil san » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:49 pm

MeCasa

Amazing - went through the same situation yesterday. Finally, I went into Thinkvantage R&R advanced. Found that the backups were scheduled and it showed a folder on C:\. I also could not view the Folder contents ( stated protected file or something) nor could I change the permissions on it. What I did was to use R&R advanced and Delete Backup and then using Administrator privileges, deleted the dir.

Now I have gained about 20MB space. I do use the tool, but have it now set to a diff partition so I can keep C: just as an OS.

dodalexander

#8 Post by dodalexander » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:46 am

Phil san,

How did you set R&R to back up to a different partition? I've found that it only allows backup to Local Disk, 2nd HDD, USB or network, with no option to change the partition used on the Local Disk.

Eventually I uninstalled the R&R app, and installed the latest version. After convincing it to install, then selecting Local Disk in the settings and clicking OK, it gave me a further option to choose the partition for backups.

MeCasa

#9 Post by MeCasa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:03 pm

dodalexander, I also store my RR backups on a different drive and to be truthful I didn't do anything special which leads me to believe there had to be a prompt.

As for me, I was concerned that there was also a RR backup on C, this was not the case. After some investigation I found that my C: Drive was so large because of

1. pagefile 1.5 gigs
2. IBM Tools 1.4 gigs
3. IBM, M$ pre-installed software on C:/Programgs 1.2 gigs
4. High Documents and Settings 1.3 gigs

Solutions

1. Moved pagefile to another drive
2. Ignored IBM tools
3. Uninstalled teaser software, ignored the rest
4. Cleaned Desktop of everything but 'shortcuts', Re-targeted Application Data

C is down to 5 gigs, still high but there's no choice due to IBM software, utilities etc........I'll live with it

This software helped my cleanup a lot...excellent

Thanks everyone

phil san

#10 Post by phil san » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:28 pm

At first this was driving me crazy. T61p Clean install Vista B 64

What I wanted to do is get rid of the Bloatware install partition - which I did. I still wanted to use R & R because of moblity and unlike Acronis will allow me to Back up to a LAN "&" the HD at same time. Being mobile, if I was not able to connect to my LAN in case of issues I can recover files from the HD also instead of carrying around a mirrored second HD.

I want to keep my OS seperate , so stored the RR Backup on a seperate partition. You need to use the RR Advanced/ Preferances tab to do this! You will NOT SEE the ability to save to a seperate partition untill it is created.

So now I'm up and running. I still also have loaded Acronis TI Home 11. I only use this for its new "try and decide" feature and has caused no problems. Allows me to switch on Try & D, load programs, reg changes and then revert back to the way system was if I decide I did not want to keep with no changes made to the OS.

MeCasa

#11 Post by MeCasa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:39 pm

phil san wrote:At first this was driving me crazy. T61p Clean install Vista B 64

What I wanted to do is get rid of the Bloatware install partition - which I did. .
I used to that but I'm not sure it's a good idea anymore. These new 'System Restore's' (whether it be IBM or Dell) are pretty good nowadays. I always partition and one more partition is not a deal breaker. On top of that hard drives are cheap., USB transfers are awesome and mobile connects to a net are getting easier all the time.

Therefore I would advise against deleting the FAT partition, it's just one more backup and it's a virgin on top of that. That's worth a small fortune by itself, you have no idea what my wife's gynecologist quoted me.

phil san

#12 Post by phil san » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:40 pm

Yeah I here you! But I would rather redo a clean restore anytime
as opposed to a Lenovo bloatware install. No way would I ever go back to that situation.

Funny , just noticed I keep all the drivers on my key ring jump drive.

So that with an install disk would be fine.

huytrang90

#13 Post by huytrang90 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:32 pm

Phil,

You can press blue button during BIOS boot, then restore to factory. Then you choose the Custom restore. From there, you can elect what you want to install such as removing of NIV, other junks,etc...

I have done it numerous times. :(
T61p 2.4GHz WUXGA+ 2x2GB 160GB@7200rpm VUx32

MeCasa

#14 Post by MeCasa » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:35 am

That's good to know

Thanks