Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Trouble installing a new Atheros Card

T60/T61 series specific matters only
Padhead

Trouble installing a new Atheros Card

#1 Post by Padhead » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:23 pm

I am having trouble installing a new Atheros mini pci card on my T60.

It sees the networks that are availalble. It seems to connect to them, but it doesn't recieve data. It says "Limited or No Connectivity."

I installed a new driver from the lenovo site. And I ran System Update. No luck.

Any thoughts????
PadHead T60 FlexView LCD, 3GB RAM, 7200RPM 160GB Hitachi, DVD-RW, Verizon WWAN, BT, ATI x1400, Fingerprint reader, Atheros wifi card, 9-cell, Hard drive caddy clone, XP Pro (of course).

T30, T43 flexview, T43P flexview. retired

alacrityathome
Sophomore Member

#2 Post by alacrityathome » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:59 pm

padhead,

is that a pcmcia card or internal pci card? lenovo has their BIOS set to accept their approved internal cards only....if that is the problem.

What is the card model/chipset?

Otherwise, wireless cards can be a bit touchy. If that is not the issue, keep playing with the settings. Are you using access or windows to control the wireless connection?

alacrity
HP Omnibook 800CT 166Mhz Pentium I with PuppyLinux (just to see if it is still possible!)

T61P 6459CTO, T7800 2.6G, WSXGA+, 2G RAM, Quadro FX 570M 256M, 160G 5400 rpm, Intel wireless IPW4965 AGN, fingerprint reader, Windows XP Professional.

Padhead

#3 Post by Padhead » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:02 pm

It's a mini pci card.

I got rid of ibm access connections, figuring that it was the problem as it has been in the past. No Luck.

I might have bad card.

Is there something I should do in the BIOS???

Is there a way to "ping" it or test it?

Help. LOL.
PadHead T60 FlexView LCD, 3GB RAM, 7200RPM 160GB Hitachi, DVD-RW, Verizon WWAN, BT, ATI x1400, Fingerprint reader, Atheros wifi card, 9-cell, Hard drive caddy clone, XP Pro (of course).

andrey

#4 Post by andrey » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:25 am

are network WEP or WPA protected? If possible, try a test with a router that has default settings and no WEP/WPA enabled. I doubt it's the card, it is most likely your network configuration.

-- Andrey

Padhead

#5 Post by Padhead » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:58 pm

Yes my network is security protected, but i forget with which wep or wpa.. I do have the access number (security key), but it didn't ask for it when i swapped cards,.. is this possibly the problem?

I could some help on this one. I am hitting a wall.

andrey

#6 Post by andrey » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:13 pm

Padhead wrote:Yes my network is security protected, but i forget with which wep or wpa.. I do have the access number (security key), but it didn't ask for it when i swapped cards,.. is this possibly the problem?

I could some help on this one. I am hitting a wall.
Each network card has a unique address called MAC. When you're swapping cards, you're getting a different MAC number. If your router has access by the MAC address, you won't be able to connect with a new card until the access list on the router is updated.

You need to get in touch with your admin and tell them that you swapped the card.

Padhead

#7 Post by Padhead » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:25 pm

andrey wrote:Each network card has a unique address called MAC. When you're swapping cards, you're getting a different MAC number. If your router has access by the MAC address, you won't be able to connect with a new card until the access list on the router is updated. You need to get in touch with your admin and tell them that you swapped the card.
Sounds like this could be the problem. It's a home network, does anyone know how to update the access list on the router?

andrey

#8 Post by andrey » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:42 pm

read the manual, each routher is different :)

Doggy

#9 Post by Doggy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:26 am

Since you experience connectivity problems, remove all protections:
1- Reset your router to factory defaults. Make a note of all the settings, then press the reset button in the back. It doesn't harm to power cycle the device afterwards.
2- Disconnect the router from the Internet, just in case.
3- Disable the firewall and all anti malware soft on your machine. Restart the machine.

If everything is OK, put the protections back 1 by 1.
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey