Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Partition Magic

T60/T61 series specific matters only
Greg Gebhardt
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

Partition Magic

#1 Post by Greg Gebhardt » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:33 am

Which version of Partition Magic is required to get rid of the recovery partition on the T61p. I see that some of the older versions are shareware and free while the latest is $50-$80.

Can this be done by other means. Keep in mind I do not know what I am doing! <vbg>

Just wanting to get rid of the un-needed partition on my SSD without destroying anything.

If there is a step by step thread somewhere, a pointer would be helpful!
Greg Gebhardt
Jacksonville, Florida

hyperq

#2 Post by hyperq » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:10 am

After a friend told me about "Gparted Clonezilla Live CD", I never had any headaches on partitioning, backups, or cloning. Just google it, it works for both NTFS and linux partitions.

It is not hard for me to figure out how to use. Then again, I am a professional techie. If you have never deleted a partition before, ask one of your techie friends to walk you through it, so you won't accidentally delete the wrong one.

WPWoodJr

Re: Partition Magic

#3 Post by WPWoodJr » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:27 am

Greg Gebhardt wrote:Which version of Partition Magic is required to get rid of the recovery partition on the T61p. I see that some of the older versions are shareware and free while the latest is $50-$80.

Can this be done by other means. Keep in mind I do not know what I am doing! <vbg>

Just wanting to get rid of the un-needed partition on my SSD without destroying anything.

If there is a step by step thread somewhere, a pointer would be helpful!
There's an option in the BIOS settings to delete the partition.
T60p 2613-CTO, 2.33GHz, 3GB ram, Intel 80gb G2 SSD, H7K 200GB/7200rpm, LG Flexview IPS SXGA+ screen, ATI FireGL V5250
Essential TP Hotfixes and Tweaks

Superego
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by Superego » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:15 am

In the BIOS settings you want Security->IBM PreDesktop Area and set it to disabled. After that you should be able to use any partition editing software to manipulate the previously-hidden partition (haven't used PM so I can't say for sure). Also, I assume you've already made your recovery disks and backed everything up? :wink:
W510: i7-820QM / 8GB 1066 RAM/ 1 GB NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M / 500GB 7200rpm / 15.6" HD 1080 / Arch Linux

Greg Gebhardt
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

#5 Post by Greg Gebhardt » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:05 am

Superego wrote:In the BIOS settings you want Security->IBM PreDesktop Area and set it to disabled. After that you should be able to use any partition editing software to manipulate the previously-hidden partition (haven't used PM so I can't say for sure). Also, I assume you've already made your recovery disks and backed everything up? :wink:
OK will disable the protection, tonight. There might, according to another poster, be a way to delete the partition from the bios! If so that would be nice. If not I will download Partition Magic.

Yes, all is backed up as I moved everything to the Samsung SSD drive and I always have the original drive to put back into the laptop if required.
Greg Gebhardt
Jacksonville, Florida

ryengineer
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#6 Post by ryengineer » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:12 pm

Superego wrote:In the BIOS settings you want Security->IBM PreDesktop Area and set it to disabled. After that you should be able to use any partition editing software to manipulate the previously-hidden partition (haven't used PM so I can't say for sure). Also, I assume you've already made your recovery disks and backed everything up? :wink:
WPWoodJr wrote:There's an option in the BIOS settings to delete the partition.
No, there isn't. *61 machines don't have predesktop option coded in the BIOS.
"I've come a long, long way," she said, "and I will go as far,
With the man who takes me from my horse, and leads me to a bar."
The man who took her off her steed, and stood her to a beer,
Were a bleary-eyed Surveyor and a DRUNKEN ENGINEER.

Greg Gebhardt
thinkpads.com customer
thinkpads.com customer

#7 Post by Greg Gebhardt » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:52 pm

ryengineer wrote:
WPWoodJr wrote:There's an option in the BIOS settings to delete the partition.
No, there isn't. *61 machines don't have predesktop option coded in the BIOS.
YOU are correct AND Partition Magic deos not like Vista. I also can see not utility in the BIOS to dump the RR partition. Looks like I am stuck with it unless someone has another idea. If not I can live with it
Greg Gebhardt
Jacksonville, Florida

sjthinkpader
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#8 Post by sjthinkpader » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:58 pm

If you use Apricorn's EZ GIG II, in the manual mode, you can clone the drive without the recovery partition.
T60p 2623-DDU/UXGA IPS/ATI V5200
T60 2623-DCU/SXGA+ IPS/ATI X1400
T43p 2668-H8U/UXGA IPS/ATI V3200
R50p 1832-NU1/UXGA IPS/ATI FireGL T2
X61t 7762-B6U dual touch IPS/64GB SSD
X32 2673-BU6/32GB SSD
755CDV 9545-GBK Transmissive Projection LCD

ryengineer
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#9 Post by ryengineer » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:16 pm

Greg Gebhardt wrote:YOU are correct AND Partition Magic deos not like Vista. I also can see not utility in the BIOS to dump the RR partition. Looks like I am stuck with it unless someone has another idea. If not I can live with it
Following steps were mentioned in one of the lenovo guides I saw somewhere:
1. Uninstall Rescue and Recovery in Windows.
2. Remove the partition by using a third-party partitioning tool.
3. Reboot.
4. Reinstall Rescue and Recovery.
For 3rd party partitioning tool, you can use gparted directly to delete the hidden partition or burn a LiveCD of Knoppix and then use gparted from there.
"I've come a long, long way," she said, "and I will go as far,
With the man who takes me from my horse, and leads me to a bar."
The man who took her off her steed, and stood her to a beer,
Were a bleary-eyed Surveyor and a DRUNKEN ENGINEER.

Riddil
Freshman Member

#10 Post by Riddil » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:00 pm

I just went through this joy this morning. It was a TOUGH process. Here is a summary of what I needed to do...

- Initially tried to use BIOS to disable the predesktop area. But on my 8889 T61, I found as you mention, the option is no longer there! On to plan B....
- I used a bootable USB key to boot into DOS. On the key I have the old MS-DOS FDISK tool.
- Run "FDISK /MBR" (this rebuilds the master boot record)
- Next, launch FDISK, and delete the "Non-DOS parition", this recovers the ~5GB of space
- After completing this, Vista was no longer bootable. I used a Vista32 installation DVD to boot, and then used the menu options to "rebuild the boot area". The whole process took about 1 minute.
- Note: I used a Vista32 installation disk, but I truly am using the Thinkpad out-of-the-box preload. I'm just lucky to also have the Vista disk... without it, I'd be dead in the water with an unbootable system.
- Reboot into Vista, but found the free space was all at the start of the drive, and I was unable to use the built-in disk management tool to "expand" and reclaim that 5GB of free space. So....
- Google search and found the Gparted live-boot CD. I needed to boot with the "Force VESA" option in order to get video to work
- Gparted is slick. I was able to move / resize the parition, and recover all the space. Took about 1 hour to complete, but I also have a lot of data that needed to be shuffled around.
- Vista again unbootable. So once again boot from Vista installation DVD, and recover the boot partition.
- Done! Vista boots, all the HDD space is mine!

I may have gone the long way around. Gparted may be able to do-it-all... but in any case, I got it to work.

pae77

#11 Post by pae77 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:42 am

Not sure if there is a better way or not, but in any case, nice work!

In general, I have found it pretty essential to keep on hand the appropriate Vista installation disk, 32 or 64, for one's Vista installation. I downloaded an x64 one (from a torrent site) with SP1 slipstreamed. It has already come in handy and I won't be leaving home without it in my laptop bag. One of these days, if I need the extra space, I may get rid of the recovery partition by using it to do a clean install.
HP DV8t | Intel i7-Q 720 | 6GB (DDR3 1333) RAM | 1 TB (500GB Seagate 7200 rpm x2)| GeForce GT 230M (1GB) | 18.4" FHD | SuperMulti 8X w Lightscribe | FP Reader | Bluetooth | HDTV Tuner | Win 7 Ultimate x64. Backup: T61p (8891-CTO)

WPWoodJr

#12 Post by WPWoodJr » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:17 am

Riddil wrote:I just went through this joy this morning. It was a TOUGH process. Here is a summary of what I needed to do...

- Initially tried to use BIOS to disable the predesktop area. But on my 8889 T61, I found as you mention, the option is no longer there! On to plan B....
- I used a bootable USB key to boot into DOS. On the key I have the old MS-DOS FDISK tool.
- Run "FDISK /MBR" (this rebuilds the master boot record)
- Next, launch FDISK, and delete the "Non-DOS parition", this recovers the ~5GB of space

I may have gone the long way around. Gparted may be able to do-it-all... but in any case, I got it to work.
I think your problem may have been running FDISK/MBR - why did you do that? You replaced the Vista MBR with a DOS/Windows version.
T60p 2613-CTO, 2.33GHz, 3GB ram, Intel 80gb G2 SSD, H7K 200GB/7200rpm, LG Flexview IPS SXGA+ screen, ATI FireGL V5250
Essential TP Hotfixes and Tweaks