Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T60 T61 fan lubrication - illustrated guide by msb0b inside

T60/T61 Series
wonz

Re: T60 T61 fan lubrication - illustrated guide by msb0b inside

#61 Post by wonz » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:46 pm

and how is temperatures on video card ?
IBM T60p 2007-FE2 @ SXGA+ IPS FV (new CCFL) @ T7200 @ T61p HS + T500 fan @ 32Gb SSD @ 100Gb UB @ Advanced-N 6200 @ BT 3.0
condition: 6 years on the frontline :D ... but i`m not ready to let go ...

x200 tablet @ 64Gb SSD @ BT 4.0

PAST: T61 7661-BM5 @ T9300

Daniel1

Re: T60 2007 fan lubrication instructions?

#62 Post by Daniel1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:46 am

msb0b wrote:I lubricated my T60's fan bearing almost 4 months ago and it's still perfectly silent even after taking it with me on international trips. The percentage of success depends on how good you are working with delicate items.

I took pics and wrote up about it: http://www.msb0b.com/home/thinkpadt60fanrepair

Hope you will find it useful.
Very useful indeed. The fan now runs quietly, even at 4000 rpm. Fan error did not come up again.

Thank you
Looking after these: x220, T61, T42p

tiorapatea
Freshman Member

#63 Post by tiorapatea » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:09 am

TTY wrote:
tiorapatea wrote:I think I need to do a fan swap at this point,
I would try to lubricate the fan first.
Thanks for the advice. I finally got around to lubricating the fan.

I am in the UK, and used Draper air tool oil, since sewing machine oil seems hard to come by these days.

The fan sprang back to life and is now pretty quiet.

The aluminium foil is hard to peel back. I scrunched it up a bit at the edges with a thumb nail until I had enough material to get purchase on it, and tried to peel it back evenly, but it did split in a couple of places. I don't think this matters though.
T30 2366-92G, T60 2007-W63, T520 4239-CTO

Frugal

#64 Post by Frugal » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:56 am

Another vote here for sewing machine oil. One drop is all it takes. Like a previous poster, I was convinced it was shot and ordered another before I oiled this one. Still quiet after 5 months. I might try Hoppes 9 gun oil next time, just for comparison's sake.

Peel back the foil carefully. Cut where the foam is so it lines up in place when you re-stick the foil. If you have to replace the foil tape, there is aluminum tape for duct work available at hardware stores, though you'll probably have to buy a big roll.

sbjoe
Freshman Member

#65 Post by sbjoe » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:36 pm

Kudos for the illustrated guide. It sure was nice going into this for the first time to have some idea as to what to expect. I think the fan in my T60 differed a bit from the illustration, but after I figured out that the fan would lift right off the motor revealing the spindle and the hub in which it turned lubrication with Mobil1 ATF was a piece of cake. Early indications are nothing but positive. I'll let you all know if it suffers a premature failure. Thx again! -joe
Thx, -joe T42p (T2373C96); T60p (T8743FKE5)

Muse

Re: T60 T61 fan lubrication - illustrated guide by msb0b ins

#66 Post by Muse » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:48 pm

I first discovered this thread over 3 years ago, Dec. 30, 2010. Made note of it in my data (I did make a few posts in here), but just today got around to lubricating one of my Thinkpad fans. That T60 has been running pretty much 24/7 since late 2010. Its fan started being noisy to me a week or two ago. It's been a little inconsistent is my sense of it. The machine had a problem with its hard drive around a week ago. Yes, that could be related to fan trouble, maybe not. The HD should probably be RMA'd, it's in warranty until October, meantime heroic measures seem to have made it usable at least for the time being (bad sector treatments be two different utilities). I had to install OS from scratch over the last couple days. Unfortunately, most of my OS backups were on an external HD that the very same day turned out to have died!

This afternoon I decided that the fan noise should be addressed sooner than later and found this thread, read the whole thing, visited

http://www.msb0b.com/home/thinkpadt60fanrepair Thank you to msb0b for the illustrated guide!

and used that along with a pretty good video that showed all the steps necessary to remove the fan/heatsink assembly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rsLBhwha3k.

Actually, I'm not too high on that video because:

1. He takes out more screws than needed, just willy nilly removing them.

2. As noted in the comments, some things he does are stupid and likely to screw up your bevel. I suggest finding another video.

I managed to get the fan blades away from the fan assembly without cutting the metal foil, I just used that foil as a hinge and pulled the gizmo open close to 90 degrees and the blade spindle popped right out. I put a drop of Redline D4 synthetic ATF I had left over from a transmission fluid flush/replacement I had done a year ago. So far the fan is quiet.

I must say, taking all those screws out it's easier to have about 7 small containers with little notes inside labeled 1-7 and make marks with a thin sharpie on the case so you know which size screw goes where. I'd have used Lenovo's videos but the one for fan removal just started there and I didn't see any indication what videos I had to watch to get to that point. So I googled and found the video I linked above. However, as noted above, I suggest looking for a better video.
Last edited by Muse on Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Dec. 2010: Now thought to be over 11 miles wide!

86turbodsl
Freshman Member

#67 Post by 86turbodsl » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:24 pm

I use Tri-flow lubricant with teflon. That stuff is awesome. It quiets a fan right down. 6oz bottle lasts FOREVER.
T61p, RT61 frankenpad(the first), W500(s), T500, W700 (king beast)

Muse

#68 Post by Muse » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:34 am

86turbodsl wrote:I use Tri-flow lubricant with teflon. That stuff is awesome. It quiets a fan right down. 6oz bottle lasts FOREVER.
I think the question of significance here is not how long the bottle lasts but how long the treatment lasts before you have to go through the very delicate, laborious and mishap prone procedure of disassembling your Thinkpad and lubricating the fan.
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Theokretes
Freshman Member

#69 Post by Theokretes » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:58 pm

Muse wrote:I think the question of significance here is not how long the bottle lasts but how long the treatment lasts before you have to go through the very delicate, laborious and mishap prone procedure of disassembling your Thinkpad and lubricating the fan.
I'd wager that the Christian StClaire Nano Oil (NLNA10W8cc 10 weight) would probably last the longest out of all of the suggestions that people provided for different oils. I'm going to do some more research and if I can't find anything else, that's what I'll be buying.
2x T60p, 1x T61, loads of 701Cs, 1x WorkPad Z50, 2x TransNotes other random thinkpads...

Muse

#70 Post by Muse » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:23 pm

Theokretes wrote:
Muse wrote:I think the question of significance here is not how long the bottle lasts but how long the treatment lasts before you have to go through the very delicate, laborious and mishap prone procedure of disassembling your Thinkpad and lubricating the fan.
I'd wager that the Christian StClaire Nano Oil (NLNA10W8cc 10 weight) would probably last the longest out of all of the suggestions that people provided for different oils. I'm going to do some more research and if I can't find anything else, that's what I'll be buying.
OK, please post your ideas, conclusions.

msm0075

#71 Post by msm0075 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:27 am

I'd be interested to know how you guys did on a conclusion with fan lubricant. I have a few noisy T61's and one with "Fan Error" in POST that I would like to take care of along with the use of 'Arctic Silver 5' thermal compound.
ThinkPad: 750 - 755C - A20M - T40 - T42 - T60 - T61 - X100e - T410 - T430
IdeaPad: Z580

Muse

#72 Post by Muse » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:01 pm

sbjoe wrote:I picked up a lap desk off Amazon and perch it on a small pillow. That at least allows air to circulate, and is arguably more comfortable than holding it directly on the lap. Mine's the Logitech Comfort, which isn't too comfortable without the pillow.

As for motor oil, I'd be concerned that the viscosity is too high for a tiny low power motor. I still think synthetic automatic transmission fluid is a better bet if you can come across a little bit of the stuff.
I used just that in a couple of big (200mm) case fans I use to ventilate my bedroom in warm weather (this year has been the warmest in recorded history, they say). One of those fans had developed a habit of making a racket for the first 2-5 minutes after turning on. Nice and quiet now. I had a little left over Red Line D4 synthetic ATF from my transmission job a couple years ago. I have set aside the rest for future fan repairs, a couple of teaspoons should go a long way.

If you do this be careful not to use too much or spill (I did, and had to clean up).

sbjoe
Freshman Member

#73 Post by sbjoe » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:09 pm

My T60p is still going strong with a little synthetic atf having been applied to the fan quite some time back. It started to overheat a couple of months ago but has been just fine again after I blew some canned air through the fan inlet & outlet. Didn't get much dust, but I'm thinking something was impeding the fan from turning freely. Spinning the fan with the canned air seems to have freed it up.

illenic

#74 Post by illenic » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:17 pm

Ok guys how did u get a few drops in there with out removing the fan from the heatsink on the T60 assembly? Mines noisy as well but I don't wanna take it apart and cause
Other problems there's no way to get the lube in there without disassembly?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#75 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:02 am

You MUST remove the fan first, no two ways about it.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Muse

#76 Post by Muse » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:02 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:You MUST remove the fan first, no two ways about it.
I've done that, I don't recall difficulties.

sbjoe
Freshman Member

#77 Post by sbjoe » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:12 pm

Yep. I don't pretend to any particular expertise, but with the Hardware Maintenance Manual in hand and an old egg carton as a screw organizer I don't recall any particular difficulties. An Arctic Silver kit for renewing the thermal paste is readily available and not at all expensive. I took the fan apart so as to be able to apply lube directly where it can do some good, using a toothpick as an applicator. IIRC, I broke one of the little tabs that holds the fan together, but that was easily remedied with a small piece of very sticky rubber like tape to secure the fan housing at the point of the break. Just do a search for your model's hmm.

illenic

#78 Post by illenic » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:03 pm

So the fan has to be removed from the heatsink, is it a hard task? Any risk of destroying anything?

illenic

#79 Post by illenic » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:07 pm

Thanks guys!

IMAKYA

#80 Post by IMAKYA » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:31 am

This is a fascinating thread. Am about to try this for someone else's T61 soon.

muymacho

#81 Post by muymacho » Sat May 07, 2016 1:51 pm

sirweldsalot wrote:i.m.h.o.>>the absolute best oil for this purpose is air tool oil. very high detergent and designed for high speeds and lasts a long time and it seeps into the tight cracks of the bearing. its very clean too. the other oils mentioned might be too thick and actually put strain on the motor when the fan is cold. its in any hardware store. the sewing machine oil makes sense too. its pretty clean stuff and pretty high quality.
Best advice ever! I bought Husky Air Tool oil at HomeDepot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-oz-A ... /100047286) which costs $2.29. I put just a small dash inside the bearing hole using a qtip. The fan has been whisper quiet since and that was several months ago.

DO NOT USE WD40! I tried that approach which did make it quiet for about a month and then reverted back to the same noise.

thinkpadcollection

#82 Post by thinkpadcollection » Sat May 07, 2016 5:46 pm

If you find any notebook with Sunon fan, it is non standard motor armature design requires a permanent odd plastic clip to keep rotor shaft secure that cannot be undone at any means. Clip is the reason to keep rotor from falling out while fan is running flipped over. But can oiled and covered with good sticky tape if one drilled small hole to the side of shaft center. Majority of fans uses 4 pole armature and can run turned over on it's other side without falling out and rubbing anything else. The sunon fan uses one bobbin with odd sheet stamped 2 arms on each end thru steel pipe that bobbin is nestled in. Both sheet stamped arms are turned 90 degrees each other and is weak to hold on magnetic rotor while running.

Here's the sunon marketing info on this design;

http://www.sunon.com/tw/products/pdf/technology.pdf

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

esaym

#83 Post by esaym » Fri May 13, 2016 5:34 pm

For fans with a normal sleeve bearing (I've never had to oil a ball bearing fan), I've always had good luck with black automotive grease. If you don't have any of that around, then use motor oil (even if you have to steal a drop from your car's dipstick). All of the lubes that come in a spray can I've had trouble with drying out after a few months to a year, and then you're back in there doing the job again... Thicker oil or grease has never dried out on me or turned into tar/gum.

thinkpadcollection

#84 Post by thinkpadcollection » Sat May 14, 2016 1:14 am

Grease has no place in high speed fans for notebooks and computers. Use medium to light oil even spot of engine oil will do in pinch.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

brooklynboy
Freshman Member

#85 Post by brooklynboy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:20 pm

So, for those of us still using our T60s:
  • Did any one particular lubricant result in a permanent repair? To me, "permanent" means 2-3 years of 12 hour/day use. Besides the fluids and greases discussed upthread, I've also seen graphite recommended elsewhere.
  • With new fans available for $10 and complete assemblies for $30, does it even make sense to attempt lubrication? The cost of Arctic Silver 5 is a given in either case, but the most expensive of the recommended lubricants, Nano-Oil, costs $22 from Amazon, including shipping.
Other than the fan-scraping noise, my upgraded T60 runs Win7 and Office 2016 like a champ, and I'm reluctant to give up its 15" 4:3 IPS screen and seven-row NMB keyboard.

Thanks in advance.

cadillacmike68
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#86 Post by cadillacmike68 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:02 am

You guys probably don't have this lying around, but I used Aurora AF/X Special Racing Oil in two T61 fan clean up jobs earlier this year. It's very similar to ATF (even smells like it!) and its made for those small HO scale slot cars, that spin their armature motors really fast and get quite hot. I have plenty of ATF if I want to use that as well, comes from having to so my own maintenance on some of my Cadillacs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aurora+ ... CwAQsAQIGw

Now I have a T30 who's fan is acting up. It's a simpler fan, but probably more troublesome than the T61.
600 600X
760LD FUBARd
T21 2647 T22 2647 1@ 1GHz SXGA+ 4 more; T23 2647 1@ 1.2GHz SXGA+ 3 more
T30 2366-88U 2GHz; 2366-83U 1.8G; 5@ 2366-LU0/66U; 2367-KU6 FUBARd
T41 T42 T43
T60 T61 8897 2.4GHz SXGA+; 8898 2.4Ghz; 6463 2@ WSXGA+; 7658 2.5GHz; T61p; 6 more T61s
T500 2
T530 W530

thomase13
Freshman Member

#87 Post by thomase13 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:21 pm

Hi,
brooklynboy wrote:So, for those of us still using our T60s:
  • Did any one particular lubricant result in a permanent repair? To me, "permanent" means 2-3 years of 12 hour/day use. Besides the fluids and greases discussed upthread, I've also seen graphite recommended elsewhere.
  • With new fans available for $10 and complete assemblies for $30, does it even make sense to attempt lubrication? The cost of Arctic Silver 5 is a given in either case, but the most expensive of the recommended lubricants, Nano-Oil, costs $22 from Amazon, including shipping.
I am wondering exactly the same thing.

I cleaned a lot of dust out of my fan with an air duster but it still sounds horrible!
Wondering if it's worth the trouble to oil this fan or whether it's a waste of time for a temporary fix and should just go for a new T61 or T500 fan.

I'd love to hear whether those lubrication jobs are still working for you T60[p] folks!

Thanks!

ziemeck
Freshman Member

#88 Post by ziemeck » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:35 pm

thomase13 wrote:
brooklynboy wrote:Did any one particular lubricant result in a permanent repair? To me, "permanent" means 2-3 years of 12 hour/day use. Besides the fluids and greases discussed upthread, I've also seen graphite recommended elsewhere. (...) but the most expensive of the recommended lubricants, Nano-Oil, costs $22 from Amazon, including shipping.
I'd love to hear whether those lubrication jobs are still working for you T60[p] folks!
Disassemble the fan, clean the bearing and shaft, then use standard motor oil (eg. for car engines). But in really limited amount - use a needle to apply it on shaft, insert it back. The problem will come back in 2-3 years anyway as dust mounts up on radiator (rattling sound will tell you anyway, but also the fan will turn on more frequently to compensate for decreased airflow through radiator, which will be more than an incentive to do the maintenance work before the rattling starts). Using any super-expensive lubricant is pointless since every 2-3 years you must disassemble and clean the radiator anyway and dirt-cheap motor oil will do its job just fine much longer than that anyway.
thomase13 wrote:I cleaned a lot of dust out of my fan with an air duster but it still sounds horrible!
Wondering if it's worth the trouble to oil this fan or whether it's a waste of time for a temporary fix and should just go for a new T61 or T500 fan.
No cleaning with air duster will solve the problem. You must disassemble entire cooler, disassemble fan, clean the radiator (sometimes an old toothbrush is needed to do that - plus a vacuum cleaner), apply motor oil to the bearing.
If you want a new fan, go for the T500 one, with more fins and thus greater CFM. If you want to make cool and silent T60 (15,0'' 4:3), most of time you want a hybrid of T61 15,4'' radiator and T500 fan. Undervolting CPU is also a very good idea.

But if all you need is to eliminate fan noise, radiator cleanup and fan lubrication should be enough.
Need to replace T60 LCD? Read this thread.
High-pitched fan noise [viewtopic.php?f=29&t=86763]?
- Sure the fan [viewtopic.php?f=29&t=74322]?
- Fan lubrication [viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87448],
- Fan replacement/reapplying thermal grease [viewtopic.php?f=29&t=80203].

geka3250
Freshman Member

#89 Post by geka3250 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:16 am

Guide link gone... But web archive have a copy here
Lubricated rattling T60p fan with mineral car oil. There were no oil before, dry sleeve. Now it produces only airflow noise
340CSE | 380XD | 770 | 770X | 770Z | 390E | 600E | 600X | T23 | X30 | T30 | T41p | T43 | T60p | X200t

hughmungus

#90 Post by hughmungus » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:17 am

geka3250 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:16 am
Guide link gone... But web archive have a copy here
No need for web archive, the link just changed: http://www.msb0b.com/archive/thinkpadt60fanrepair