Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Firefox crash?

T60/T61 series specific matters only
taichi

Firefox crash?

#1 Post by taichi » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:46 pm

This is really a general question, although I am running a T60P.

Recently I received one of those Firefox update notices to upgrade to (I believe) 3.6.6. Around the same time I did that I also downloaded QuickTime (apparently not the most recent version 7) to watch a friend's media files. Just for the sake of comprehensiveness of explanation, his MOV files wouldn't play.

Today whenever I try to open Firefox I get a message that the program has stopped working properly, and that Windows will try to find a solution for it. Usually the "solution" is to install Windows updates, which in my case is always service pack two for Vista 32.

I've resisted service pack two only because of user experiences with it and reviews of it that suggests no great improvement, and sometimes seems to slow things down.

I'm also reluctant to install SP2 because I need to first buy an external drive to backup my system, given that service packs sometimes can mess with your machine.

The only other oddity that I remember in this curious scenario is that I may have refused either a Java or a flash player update that was offered at some point in the last day or two.

Curiously if I go into Windows help and try to connect to the web for such help, it opens up Firefox without a problem. It's only when I try to do something with this opened Firefox that it crashes.

I have considered reinstalling the newest Firefox over itself, despite my fear of losing downloads and favorites. I've also considered removing QuickTime version 6 and installing QuickTime version 7.

Curiously, Internet Explorer works perfectly, and will even play YouTubes something that would crash Firefox if I was lucky enough to land on the site. No problems with Internet Explorer.

I'd appreciate any help from some of you computer geniuses out there.

Thanks,

taichi

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Firefox crash?

#2 Post by Harryc » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:37 am

Backup your bookmarks and uninstall/reinstall Firefox. 'Downloads' has nothing to do with Firefox other than you tell it where to put them. Also my experience with Vista SP2 was that it had the opposite effect. It made the machine/s faster.

msb0b
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by msb0b » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:33 am

Does Firefox run in safe mode? If so, one of the extension is incompatible with the new version of FireFox or another extension.

If Firefox in safe mode still does not run, then uninstall, clear your Firefox profile, and remove the registry entries for Firefox. Don't forget to back up your bookmark and what not before clearing your Firefox profile.

Have been running Vista SP2 since RTM. 0 problem that can be attributed to SP2. Still it is a good idea to backup before doing any major update.

ArtShapiro

#4 Post by ArtShapiro » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:44 am

Do you happen to have multiple user accounts on that machine? I'm curious whether Firefox might work correctly on one of the other accounts, which if so would point to a corrupted profile.

While I personally think Vista is an abomination, I haven't observed any problems with that service pack on the Vista machines I support at work, both 32 and 64 bit. Obviously there's always the exception to the rule, and if you're the unfortunate victim then it doesn't help to know that everyone else is running fine. But I've unhesitatingly installed it on several machines without incident.

Art

taichi

#5 Post by taichi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:09 pm

I only have one user account on this computer.

I'm wondering if a java or flash update refused by me late at night, while poised between consciousness and the creeping tendrils of sleep, might have contributed to this enigma. I don't see where in Firefox I can update either.

Without starting controversy, I hope, I have had no problems whatsoever with Vista 32 ultimate, and I have another machine (currently unopened and unused with Vista 64 ultimate). It's never been slow, it's never crashed, and with service pack one UAC has never been more than an occasional mosquito that lands on one's forehead. I've never found it intrusive.
I don't think I quite have the hang of media Center yet. I like Vista ultimate better than Win 2000, and XP, my previous OS's. However I ran XP on a slower A21P.

I might try the safe mode method. Could someone remind me of the keystrokes to invoke the safe mode on my T60P? is there a logical method other than shutting down or disabling each add-on one at a time?
I run noscript, better privacy, WOT, things like that.

And is there a way of manually backing up my downloads, history and bookmarks? The way Firefox describes it (or the inaccurate way in which I'm understanding it) it seems that the downloads are attached in some way to the browser itself. I'd be happier to find a folder somewhere in the C drive where I can make a firm copy.

I'm thinking of getting a portable 500 GB Seagate go flex, which comes with USB 2.0 standard, but has little purchasable attachments which will allow it to run with USB 3.0, FireWire 800, and powered E-SATA.
89 bucks , and futureproof,

Thanks,

taichi

msb0b
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by msb0b » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:03 pm

The safe mode I referred to above is Firefox safe mode, not Windows safe mode. There should be a short cut in the Mozilla Firefox program group for safe mode. When running in safe mode, Firefox disables all extensions and plugins. If Firefox runs in safe mode, then start reenabling extensions and plugins one by one until you find the culprit.

The default location for downloads is Documents\Downloads.

Your Firefox profile holds both your history and bookmark. It should be in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\ .

taichi

#7 Post by taichi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:49 pm

Right you are, msb0b.

Actually I see downloads under Thinkpad, and I notice the downloads that are also listed on the download list on Firefox. I assume that these are untouchable by the Uninstaller for Firefox.

I am able to briefly open Firefox, and am viable until I try to do anything like a real search. I cannot see where the tab or button for safe mode is in Firefox. It looks like all I can do is go down the add-on list and disable all of them... maybe plug-ins too.

I did find this interesting message in the add-on list. If you'll recall I had a question about some Java or flash update, and I found this, although it is currently disabled and shouldn't be causing a problem

Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.1 80.7
NPRun time script plug-in library for Java (TM) deploy
Known to cause security or stability issues. It is, as I said, currently disabled and has an exclamation mark next to it.

Thanks!

taichi

taichi

#8 Post by taichi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:15 pm

Did my simple safe mode approach (shutting down all addons) and now Firefox is perfectly stable. So one or more addons are the culprit!

taichi

taichi

#9 Post by taichi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:28 pm

I spoke rashly.

It was the plugins that I disabled, and that include the culprit.

Plugins include java and flash, by the way.

taichi

so here goes Edison's experiment to find the filanment...one at a time.

taichi

#10 Post by taichi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:40 pm

This much I know thus far.
Quicktime 6.5.1.17 is safe (just installed to watch a friend's MOV file).

But Shockwave Flash 10.0.45.2 crashes Firefox. Disabled again and am stable.

Wonder if I should let sleeping dogs lie, or try enabling more plugs ins? Guess I should try.

taichi

taichi

#11 Post by taichi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:47 pm

Wasn't any big thing.

Only four plug ins and Shockwave for Director is fine and so is
Windows Presentation Foundation

So
Shockwave Flash 10.0.45.2 is the problem. Can I live without it? Does the system default to an earlier version of Flash, or should I uninstall and reinstall Shockwave Flash from somewhere?

thanks for all the help.

taichi

msb0b
Sophomore Member

#12 Post by msb0b » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:08 pm

Flash is needed for multimedia contents and youtube videos.

Personally, I keep a browser plugin-free and use it for general browsing. Saves me from those animated ads with sound.

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

#13 Post by rkawakami » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:15 pm

taichi wrote:Shockwave Flash 10.0.45.2 is the problem. Can I live without it? Does the system default to an earlier version of Flash, or should I uninstall and reinstall Shockwave Flash from somewhere?
If you are going to install it, don't use any 10.0.xx.x version because if this: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=88196
Ray Kawakami
X22 X24 X31 X41 X41T X60 X60s X61 X61s X200 X200s X300 X301 Z60m Z61t Z61p 560 560Z 600 600E 600X T21 T22 T23 T41 T60p T410 T420 T520 W500 W520 R50 A21p A22p A31 A31p
NOTE: All links to PC-Doctor software hosted by me are dead. Files removed 8/28/12 by manufacturer's demand.

taichi

#14 Post by taichi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:32 pm

You are right. I installed Shockwave Flash Player 10.1.53.64 and went through the same crash scenario till disabled.

I tried to watch a youtube, after disabling the previous faulty version, and was told to download Flash Player, hit the link, went to Adobe. They first suggested usinga Flash removal tool, which I did, then installed F Player and restarted and tried to run...but it crashed.

Should I use the removal tool again and download an earlier version of Flash Player. Do you have a link or URL fot one appropriate for Firefox 3.3.3 and Vista Ultimate 32?

Thanks,

taichi

taichi

#15 Post by taichi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:04 pm

Can't watch youtube on IE either. I get the same message to update Flash to 10.1.x.x.

Nuts!
And it isn't just happening to me. Of course I uninstalled Flash Player using their removal tool. Maybe a reinstalled Flash will work with IE, but the newest Flash is crashing on FF from 3.6.4 to 3.6.6

taichi

ArtShapiro

#16 Post by ArtShapiro » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:18 pm

I use Firefox almost exclusively and can't say I'm having problems with the T61 (XP) or T60p (Win7), so it "ought to" work. Nevertheless, I see there are various competitive products when I Google "Flash Player", such as one called "FlowPlayer". I wonder if this product would pass the various checks in the browser and get you over your difficulties.

Art

taichi

#17 Post by taichi » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:52 pm

Problem resolved!
was a common problem for many.
Uninstalled Flash, uninstalled Firefox 'reinstalled 3.6.6 and downloaded flash

Unlike Adobe's incorrect graphic representation, there is an allow tab along a "toolbar" that appears when you try to download for Firefox. this bar indiares that it is preventing the download or redirection to the page for the download. So you allow it! "

All is well!

taichi i