Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Recommended method for installing OS on bare T60

T60/T61 series specific matters only
lemonstar
Freshman Member

Recommended method for installing OS on bare T60

#1 Post by lemonstar » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:35 pm

I don't know what the recovery discs contain that would make them the prefered method for installing an operating system - I assume the correct drivers for the motherboard and other hardware on the laptop but isn't everything I need already available from the IBM/Lenovo website here?

This page has the software available for the type(2007) and model(CTO) I have:-
T60 2007-CTO

I don't know whether to buy an OS e.g. Amazon, ebuyer, ebay or somewhere else you might suggest.

I was thinking I'd stick with XP Pro now that it's almost stable :-)

This page explains the steps:-
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-66020
I assume the instructions assume that I have the recovery disc as it talks about copying all the files from C:\IBMTOOLS or the C:\SWTOOLS (that should have been backed up from the original installation on the hard drive - obviously I don't have those - is that right, I'll need a recovery disc then?

Is attempting to follow these instructions the best route to installing the OS? This page says I need to install the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver" first but the link to that takes me to a page where it says:-

"Our apologies - There is a problem retrieving the document MIGR-62909."

Are the contents of C:\IBMTOOLS and C:\SWTOOLS available for download somewhere?

Please - just point me in the right direction.
cheers
Neil

lemonstar
Freshman Member

Re: Recommended method for installing OS on bare T60

#2 Post by lemonstar » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:53 am

Can anyone tell me if this is worth buying:-
IBM Lenovo Thinkpad T60 XP Driver Recovery CD - Restore Disk from User-Guides.co.uk

or should I just download everything I can lay my hands on from the IBM/Lenovo site?

Edit:-
I've been unable to contact this site via their form or any other means - is it a valid site or a scam site?
Last edited by lemonstar on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZaZ

#3 Post by ZaZ » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:09 am

Yes most of the drivers and applications are available on Lenovo's website, though some are only upgrades like the burning software for example, are only upgrades. You'd need to have the original software installed to do the upgrade, though there are good free alternatives available on the internet. Personally I prefer a clean install. you'll need an OEM CD to do it. Does you machine have a COA?
ProBook 470 G3

lemonstar
Freshman Member

#4 Post by lemonstar » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:41 am

You mean a CoA for an operating system? No - there is no operating system supplied, no operating system or restore disc of any kind - nothing.

icebag
Freshman Member

#5 Post by icebag » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:37 am

Are you tempted by Linux? I use Xubuntu and Mandriva on a T60 and they both run very sweetly. They are free, of course, as is all the applications software.

lemonstar
Freshman Member

#6 Post by lemonstar » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:12 pm

icebag wrote:Are you tempted by Linux? I use Xubuntu and Mandriva on a T60 and they both run very sweetly. They are free, of course, as is all the applications software.
Well - I bought this T60 so I could afford to take a T23 out of use in the house because it's been experiencing a few problems over the past 6 months - I'm doing all I can can to keep it running but the T60 is an insurance policy just in case things don't work out. If the T60 can be sorted out and the T23 revived I might consider a Linux installation for the T23 - I had a Red Hat and a Caldera(?) installation a long time ago (rebuilt the kernel and libraries and everything from source) but didn't really use it that much - if I can afford to leave a machine running Linux I might consider it. However the T23 and the new T60 are really my daughter's machine - she'll be of to Uni next year and I didn't want her taking a new untried and untested machine so I thought I'd get something now. I've opted for a Thinkpad because I reckon it will stand up to a full 5 years at uni. All my T2*'s have been taken into work with me on a daily basis for years and have stood up brilliantly to all of that - there's this forum (which really is awesome) and the IBM/Lenovo site to help with support - all in all - I'm not sure there is a better machine out there if you want to keep and maintain something for along time. I had a key flirt off the other year and I managed to find brilliant instructions on how to put the darn thing back on - the key survived the experience and is still working fine. The T2*'s are old machines but I feel like I owe them something - my T21 Win2000 is rock solid, never plays up ever.

ashleys

#7 Post by ashleys » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:24 pm

I was thinking I'd stick with XP Pro now that it's almost stable

Windows 7 runs really well on a T60.

I purchased a refurbished T60 earlier this year. Replaced the stock HDD with a Scorpio Black 250GB and did a clean Windows 7 install. Ran Windows update to pick up most of the required ThinkPad updates. Then ran ThinkPad System Update to pick up the rest. Machine really flies and without any of the Lenovo bloat.

Use with a decent Backup & Recovery product, either Acronis or Paragon and you should be fine.

dsvochak
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#8 Post by dsvochak » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:53 pm

Can anyone tell me if this is worth buying:-
IBM Lenovo Thinkpad T60 XP Driver Recovery CD - Restore Disk from User-Guides.co.uk
No. It appears to be drivers only which, as you noted, are available for free.

The easiest and cheapest solution:
1. Go here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... yle=lenovo

2. Enter the information requested and it willl tell you the parts shipped with your machine, including which OS the machine shipped with.

3. Post a WTB in the Marketplace here for T60 recovery disks for your machine type with that OS. It's likely that someone will make a copy available for a minimal charge.

4. Recover the system using the disks.
I used to be an anarchist but I quit because there were too many rules

lemonstar
Freshman Member

#9 Post by lemonstar » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:33 am

Thanks everyone for the time you've taken to clarify this for me.

Dear mod - apologies. Let me know how you get on when one of your keys falls off :wink:

TravisD

#10 Post by TravisD » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:15 pm

As far as loosing the bundled software, I wouldn't sweat it. For viewing DVD's (and pretty much any video file you can imagine with no codecs to install) try Video Lan Client or MPlayer. Both are awesome programs ported over from Linux. For burning disks Img Burn is nice. It isn't fancy like but it is very good (just don't install the optional Ask Toolbar at the end). CD Burner XP is supposed to be good too (but I didn't like it).

I vote for clean install and Windows 7. Clean install of any OS will probably be a lot better than the factory image. Win 7 is great. I can't stand XP now.

About the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver: Why is it needed? I have the new version, called Intel Rapid Storage Technology, but I only installed it because I have a solid state drive. I have no idea why you would need that unless you are running in AHCI mode, which is pretty much only needed (or even beneficial, I hear) for RAID, multiple simultaneous user or server like scenarios, or if you have a SSD. It is supposed to have better power management, but only for drives that support DIPM. Does the stock T60 drive?
lemonstar wrote:should I just download everything I can lay my hands on from the IBM/Lenovo site?
No, that will get you a bunch of crap you don't need or want bogging you down. Read up on what all of it does. Remember I am using Windows 7, but still, the only things I downloaded from Lenovo was the display driver (not ATI driver, I got that from Windows Update as Lenovo has no official X1400 driver listed for Win 7), HotKey Functions package, UltraNav driver (not the utility), the power management driver, and Power Manager. I installed those things, in that order, after all other drivers. Speaking of which; I got the INF update utility and RST package from Intel. Most of the other main drivers, I got from Windows Update (some were newer/it was easier/less baggage attached). I'm not saying that is all YOU need, just that it's what I did and it's a MUCH shorter list than Lenovo offers for my OS. Win XP may require a few other tidbits for full functionality (if you even want that - disable/don't install anything you won't use), and if you have a mechanical HDD you may want that thing that shuts down your HDD upon sudden movement. My setup may not be the best, either, but it all seems to work pretty well. I still don't know about the Windows Updates that Lenovo offers. I am going to read up more on them.