Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T60 Won't Boot (Odd situation, will work if done right)

T60/T61 series specific matters only
jatkbay

T60 Won't Boot (Odd situation, will work if done right)

#1 Post by jatkbay » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:14 pm

OK, first off this one is a little weird, I tried searching and nothing matched up.

The problem is if I let or send the pc to sleep it will crash while asleep and be completely off in the AM. OK, it did this twice so I opted to shut down completely. Regardless of these options when I go to restart, I hit the power button and there is absolutely no attempt to start up, no hdd noise, no clicking, just nothing and the two lights (plug and batt) go out as soon as I've hit the button. Now at first I disconnected everything, removed the battery and waited, connect power and batt and lights come on, but as soon as I hit the power button they are off again. Somehow I figured out that it will start if I leave the powercord disconnected and just the battery is installed, no odd occurrences this way, starts normal, unless I let it go to sleep then it tells me it was shut down incorrectly, if I shut it down it is simply a normal startup. After this I can reconnect the power cord at any time. Someone maybe will see this as super simple, but I couldn't find anything. I do have 2 90W adapters and have tried with both, same result. I am running Win 7, I have XP on another drive, it definitely does the same thing from startup, not sure if it will crash when put to sleep though. Any guesses, any help is appreciated, although disconnecting the power before hitting the power button isn't a huge inconvenience.

Computer Details: Lenovo T60 2613-CTO (according to the website it's a T60p, but it says T60 and that's what I bought).
Lenovo Descrip:
Product: ThinkPad T60p 2613-CTO [change]
Operating system: All [change]
Original description: ThinkPad T61p Configure-To-Order system

T7200 CPU, 3GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon X1300
Fan was replaced approx 8 months ago, no other problems to date besides this one obviously.

I do have the event viewer summaries, here's the gist (I do have full text as well):
When put to sleep; if I shut down there will be no unusual events.
1st time: The previous system shutdown at 11:53:07 PM on ‎2/‎1/‎2011 was unexpected.
Startup: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Let me know if any additional info is needed,

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: T60 Won't Boot (Odd situation, will work if done right)

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:03 am

Welcome to the Forum.
What happens if you remove the battery, and run just off the mains?
How old is that battery? Status, no. of cycles, capacity left...
Got another battery to try?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!

jatkbay

#3 Post by jatkbay » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:05 am

Thanks, been cruising the site for a while, not too savvy but I'm usually able to hold my own with computers. Always been a fan of the T Series since that's what our Intel workstations (military intel, not the company, haha) were while I was in the Marines. If they can hold up to that duty in the worst of conditions they must be the best. Definitely a lot better than the dell's and toughbooks that were constantly falling out. Toughbooks were ok (albeit slow), better than the dell's, but certainly no Thinkpad.

Anyway, if I pull the battery while it's already up and running there is no issue. On the other hand if it is off and I go to start it with just the power cord and no battery it is the same situation, except it's just the plug light that goes out immediately when I hit the power button.

The batteries are kinda old, I got this machine in Feb 07, so about 4 years.
The 4? cell (one that is flush with the back), is at 104 cycles and actually says poor condition, 52% of original capacity.
The 6? cell (has a roll to the back, might be 6 and 9 cell, idk), is about the same condition, 190 cycles, poor and 53% of original.

Does the same with both batts. Seems to me it would be something of a hardware issue though, if it were a desktop I would lean towards power supply, but with a laptop I'm not sure. I have gleaned that if the fan doesn't start up right away it will kick off, but the fan works, I can't tell how quick its starting though. It will also do the same thing if no HDD is installed, I thought my 7 had crashed at first, so I grabbed the XP pro and it was the same thing, then tried with an empty slot.

mousewarp

#4 Post by mousewarp » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:21 pm

Hi, I have a T60p with the same issue, it boots from the battery but not with the adapter connected. If I use the adapter only it will not boot at all. I've tried a new 9 cell and 6 cell battery with zero joy. It will boot, but on battery only after which I can connect the adapter, (brand new 90w, or the original 65w), and it runs fine thereafter.

I am a Server/PC technician and have had it apart half a dozen times searching for a blown capacitor etcetera, but have found nothing physically wrong with it. I have; replaced the fan, got new batteries, bought a new 90w adapter, cleaned it all out, swapped drives, tested the ram, gone through the BIOS settings a few hundred times, and basically pulled my hair out as this is driving me nuts...

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#5 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:33 pm

Welcome to the forum!
mousewarp wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:21 pm

Any help will be greatly appreciated...
I'm actually posting this from a T60 (2007-6PU) that has the exact same problem that everyone in this thread was describing. IMO, it's a flaky motherboard and the only way to get the system back to some type of reliability would be to replace it.

Good luck.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

FlexView AARP club members:A31p, T43pSF, X60T

Abused daily: X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:19 am

I have a few tested, used T60 motherboards cheap, see https://www.theboardroom.info/stock1.html
They will fit in both 14.1" and 15" non-widescreen models.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!