Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X31 and alternatives to XP

X20/X30/X40 Series specific matters only
PePeFR

Re: X31 and alternatives to XP

#31 Post by PePeFR » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:38 am

Hi,

Well, I've been testing XP for several days. It was really awesome and worked really well.
The presence of MS Office, the ability to fire up some good old games, and the presence of IBM tools was really nice.

Anyway, I received 2 days ago the wifi mini-PCI board I was waiting for, and was able to put the X31 online (with XP SP3 to be able to connect to my modern wifi box.

And... well it's not good :
IE is unusable (impossible de connect to most websites), Chrome too. Firefox works quite well but seems to be such a waste of resources that I would need one or 2 more CPUs to cope with it.

Searching for a solution for Chrome, I saw that the XP obsolescence had created problems that seem very hard to overcome...

Linux may be the way (Debian that is, as Ubuntu is less and less compatible with the old machines) ; unfortunately, I would like to continue to have access to the good tools which make the value of such a laptop : web browsing is useful, but if it becomes the only real feature I could use my smartphone instead !

I use Linux for years and I definitely can't compare OpenOffice with MS Office, and I really would like to be able to use the old Windows games... :D

I'm still thinking about it and it doesn't look so simple !
IBM X31 with SSD drive, 2 Gb RAM. Ultrabase X3 (floppy + DVD-ROM drives) and a nice new IBM 2005 backpack !

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#32 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:11 am

Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.
Covid-19: Mask it or casket.

mazzinia

#33 Post by mazzinia » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:30 am

You could dualboot, and so have the best of the 2 worlds, as they would say.
Alternative would be using a 2nd hdd in the ultrabay in the ultrabase , and boot the 2nd os from there
X31 2672-C6J
IBM 9401-P03 (As/400 "portable")
A crowd of assembled desktops, a jungle of cables... and a Palm m515

PePeFR

#34 Post by PePeFR » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:30 am

I tried each one of your list :

Opera -- same issue as Chrome (invalid certificate, each page)
UR Browser -- not XP-compatible, won't download.
K-Meleon -- last stable version dated 2015... But hey, seems to work quite well !!
Midori -- website offline
Pale Moon - Min spec W7/8/10, won't install.
Maxthon -- same issue as Chrome (invalid certificate, each page)
Firefox -- The loop is looped...

I'll give a try to K-Meleon, but for XP the list of available browser is low ! :(
IBM X31 with SSD drive, 2 Gb RAM. Ultrabase X3 (floppy + DVD-ROM drives) and a nice new IBM 2005 backpack !

dr_st

#35 Post by dr_st » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:35 am

PePeFR wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:38 am
IE is unusable (impossible de connect to most websites), Chrome too. Firefox works quite well but seems to be such a waste of resources that I would need one or 2 more CPUs to cope with it.

Searching for a solution for Chrome, I saw that the XP obsolescence had created problems that seem very hard to overcome...
On XP/Vista I use an old version of Slimjet - it's a Chromium-based browser, but I think their latest XP-supporting drop is slightly more compatible with the modern web than Chrome's latest XP-compatible drop.
https://www.slimjet.com/en/dlpage_xp.php

Another alternative is Roytam1's New Moon builds (Pale Moon with backported XP/Vista support). Not sure whether their official downloads are.

The advantage of Mozilla-based browsers over Chromium-based browsers is that they have an internal ciphers package, whereas Chromium (and IE) use the system ciphers, which on XP are much more limited compared to a modern OS. This limits HTTPS website compatibility. However, I still prefer Slimjet, because most sites I have a practical need for still work, and it is faster.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad, A21m 2628-GXU

PePeFR

#36 Post by PePeFR » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:32 am

Ah OK, thanks for the info. I was wondering if Firefox based browsers worked a little better on XP than IE or Chrome ones because of a lack of cipher system or because of a different way of handling it.