Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X4 Ultrabase USB Behaviour?

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
michael8554

X4 Ultrabase USB Behaviour?

#1 Post by michael8554 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:33 pm

I have an X41 running XP Pro and a X4 Ultrabase.
I want to attach a Ugreen USB2 4 Port 10M active cable - it's effectively a 4 port hub on an active cable.
The hub is powered by a 2 Amp power supply.
There are three USB ports on the rear of the Ultrabase, but the active cable/hub is only recognised if it is plugged into the Ultrabase USB port nearest the right when facing the screen.
Other devices work when plugged into any of the three ports.
With the Ugreen and other devices plugged as above the laptop can be restarted and all devices connect.
The power supply is working and delivering 5V.
Any reason for this behaviour>
Michael

automobus

Re: X4 UltraBase USB Behaviour?

#2 Post by automobus » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:17 am

It might be a Windows's problem. I once observed an inverse situation: a laptop had four USB receptacles, a particular device worked in three receptacles, but said device did not work in one particular port with Windows. All other USB devices worked, and that one not-working device did work with GNU/Linux.

You can try testing with ThinkPad firmware, if you do not have a different operating system handy. Try using a USB keyboard to navigate Setup, or just going up and down 'F12' list: does it work when hub is connected to all three of UltraBase's receptacles? Or you can attach a storage Stick and look for it in 'F12' boot source choice selection list.

I am not able to help you. I only bring this question where your problem exists, whether in hardware or in Microsoft Windows.

michael8554

Re: X4 Ultrabase USB Behaviour?

#3 Post by michael8554 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:52 pm

Thanks automobus
Following your suggestion, I formatted a memory stick to be bootable and tried it in all three USB ports.
In each USB port, under F12 the stick was listed every time as a bootable device.
I then tried all the combinations of the 4-port cable, a USB-to-Serial cable, in all three USB ports.
I couldn't fault the USB ports.
I also tried an inline voltage/current/resistance USB dongle on all three ports, again all seemed okay.

Tonight I tried again, having undocked and redocked the X41.
This time the USB port nearest the left was dead - the USB voltage dongle didn't power up, suggesting to me no USB volts from that port.
So I'm wondering if there's an intermittant inside the dock.
Michael

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by dr_st » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:58 am

USB ports working intermittently on dock is a fairly common issue.

When I dock my T410, about 10% of the time the mouse does not get power, and about 30% of the time the keyboard does not get power. Undocking/redocking, or even just wiggling the laptop around the connector a bit solves the issue after 1-3 attempts.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

michael8554

#5 Post by michael8554 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:05 am

Latest consistent behaviour is:

1) Boot up with Hub in port 1, USB-to-Serial in port 2, port 2 is dead.

Move USB-to-Serial to port 3, it works.

2) Next boot, USB-to Serial in port 3 does not power up.
Move USB-to-Serial to port 2, it works.

etc, ad nauseam.

Michael