Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Broken speakers in NOS X3x docking base?!

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
zoltan87

Broken speakers in NOS X3x docking base?!

#1 Post by zoltan87 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:54 pm

So I bought a new old stock Thinkpad X3x docking base, that has the built in stereo speakers. They supposed to sound quite good, miles better than the X32 built in speaker.

I just opened up the sealed package and docked my laptop in it. And the built in speakers make absolutely zero noise. They seem to be completely broken. Is this possible? As I said, it was a brand new unit. I remember quite some time ago I had an other similar docking station in quite beat up shape, and that one had one broken speaker, but the left side was still working in it.

It's extremely frustrating, as I was planning to use this setup for retro gaming, and I wanted to use the built in speakers, I don't like headphones.
Thinkpad T60, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad T601, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad T22
NEC ProSpeed SX/20

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: Broken speakers in NOS X3x docking base?!

#2 Post by dr_st » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:46 am

It's unlikely that both speakers are broken, but who knows.

Check whether you get sound in each of following situations, and if so, where is the sound coming from:

1) Laptop undocked
2) Laptop undocked and headphones/speakers plugged into the laptop
3) Laptop docked
4) Laptop docked and headphones/speakers plugged into the laptop

Verify that the sound is not muted and the volume is not zero (sometimes different audio profiles are used for docked/undocked).

Try reinstalling the audio drivers.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Trzyzet

#3 Post by Trzyzet » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:50 pm

Which power supply are you using? Sometimes some ports or functions does not working on weaker chargers. If I good remember, this dock needs at least 90W.
T400 With 8GB RAM, undervolted T9600 and Radeon 3470 on Linux Mint and Win10Pro
X41Tablet with 2GB RAM, Pentium M 1.5GHz, mSATA mod with 64GB SSD, Bsel_0 mod

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:09 pm

The X3x doesn't take the 90W brick. It takes the 56W or 72W IBM bricks.

Possibly, from the 15 years in a box, the connector as oxidized maybe? Try docking and redocking the machine a few times. Hey, what do they say about unplugging and plugging it back in :) .
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

zoltan87

#5 Post by zoltan87 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:54 pm

Thank you guys for the suggestions, I just had some tinkering time this morning, and also a few days ago I ordered a second X3x docking station in used condition, which arrived this morning.

The bad news is, something is definitely wrong with my NOS docking station, as the newly bought used dock's speakers worked immediately, nice and loud. So I guess maybe there is some oxidization indeed as suggested, or that the whole speaker assembly is broken :(.

Not happy about it, as one of the main reason I bought the NOS unit was, that I wanted a perfectly working unit in clean condition. The used dock I bought a few days ago even though works perfectly, It's pretty gross, upon arrival it was extremely sticky everywhere. I have no idea in what environment it has been used, as it wasn't too dusty, but all the surfaces on it were sticky as hell, and even after a good clean with wipes and alcohol, it still doesn't feel right to the touch.

If I will have some more time, I might will disassemble my broken dock, and have a look inside, or even possibly change the speakers. It just feels like a waste of time, as it was supposed to work out of the box.

One off-topic observation: both docking stations have dvd drives in them, but the used one has a drive made in 2000, and the NOS dock has a drive made in 2004. The older DVD drive is a LOT heavier, there really is a huge difference. I wonder if the old drives were over-built, the technology just wasn't there yet to make it light, or they started to cheap out on the newer drives.
Thinkpad T60, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad T601, 15" Flexview, with mods (Xiphmont's LED mod, T500 heatsink, cpu undervolt, reinforced frame)
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad T22
NEC ProSpeed SX/20

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#6 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:31 pm

zoltan87 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:54 pm
One off-topic observation: both docking stations have dvd drives in them, but the used one has a drive made in 2000, and the NOS dock has a drive made in 2004. The older DVD drive is a LOT heavier, there really is a huge difference. I wonder if the old drives were over-built, the technology just wasn't there yet to make it light, or they started to cheap out on the newer drives.
Take a look at the first CD drives, HDDs, or calculators, or for that matter everything. Go on YouTube and search for Technology Connections CDs. Then you should ahve a teensy bit more respect for the engineering going into CD drives.

tl;dr: it's miniaturization of technology over time.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

zoltan87

#7 Post by zoltan87 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:31 pm
Take a look at the first CD drives, HDDs, or calculators, or for that matter everything. Go on YouTube and search for Technology Connections CDs. Then you should ahve a teensy bit more respect for the engineering going into CD drives.

tl;dr: it's miniaturization of technology over time.
Gonna check it out. Not sure what made you think though, that I have no respect in the engineering aspects of these things. It's just incredible that they can achieve such weight savings in something like a disc drive, in the span of only a couple of years.
Thinkpad X32
Thinkpad T22
NEC ProSpeed SX/20

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#8 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:29 pm

zoltan87 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:27 pm
Gonna check it out. Not sure what made you think though, that I have no respect in the engineering aspects of these things. It's just incredible that they can achieve such weight savings in something like a disc drive, in the span of only a couple of years.
Never said you didn't have respect, just said you would have a bit more. :D

PePeFR

#9 Post by PePeFR » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:48 pm

Hi,

I had a similar (but different outcome) issue recently with my X31 :
I ordered a good condition Ultrabase, with DVD/CD-RW drive. it's complete with battery cover, in quite a good cosmetics aspect.
But... no sound. I tried to put some contact cleaner spray on both the computer and the base, with no effect.

To be able to cross-check my X31 with a different base, I ordered a "manufacturer refurbished" product, which is pretty much like NOS stuff... delivered in IBM package.

Unfortunately, I still don't get any sound !

The speaker of th X31 works well when undocked. When docking, the sound shuts down. The headphones plug works (sound ok in phones and speaker shuts), in undocked as well as in docked configuration.

I searched for pinout schematics for the big ultrabase connector to try to check the sound pins, but I was unable to find it anywhere.

Really strange !! :roll:
Last edited by PePeFR on Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM X31 with SSD drive, 2 Gb RAM. Ultrabase X3 (floppy + DVD-ROM drives) and a nice new IBM 2005 backpack !

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#10 Post by dr_st » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:22 pm

PePeFR wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:48 pm
I searched for pinout schematics for the big ultrabase connector to try to check the sound pins, but I was unable to find it anywhere.
Search the web for "Tokyo-2" planar. You should find a schematics PDF. From what I see, DOCK_LINE_OUT_R is pin 9 and DOCK_LINE_OUT_L is pin 69, and the routing of audio to the normal line out or the dock line out is controlled by the DOCK_ATTACH# which is pin 66. If only I knew where they are counting from...
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

PePeFR

#11 Post by PePeFR » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:30 am

Thanks !
I grabbed the doc, now need to get use of it. ;)
IBM X31 with SSD drive, 2 Gb RAM. Ultrabase X3 (floppy + DVD-ROM drives) and a nice new IBM 2005 backpack !

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#12 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:33 am

dr_st wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:22 pm
Search the web for "Tokyo-2" planar. You should find a schematics PDF. From what I see, DOCK_LINE_OUT_R is pin 9 and DOCK_LINE_OUT_L is pin 69, and the routing of audio to the normal line out or the dock line out is controlled by the DOCK_ATTACH# which is pin 66. If only I knew where they are counting from...
With a bit of luck, there's a number 1 printed on the motherboard, near a corner of that connector.
It has Molex P/N 54577_2401, which has been replaced by Molex 54557-2409
2.00mm Pitch MFB (Futurebus+) PCB Receptacle, Right-Angle, 1.60mm PCB Thickness, 5-Row, Through Hole, Gold (Au) 0.76µm, 240 Circuits, Lead Free
Do a google-search with: SD-54557-004
You will see a post by: sigma.octopart.com > Molex-545570... pdf
Click on: Untitled - Octopart under that, to download the connector-drawing.
I don't understand its numerics, but you might.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine