Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

[X40] Open the LCD to get a hair out

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
tottoroo

[X40] Open the LCD to get a hair out

#1 Post by tottoroo » Fri May 03, 2019 7:19 pm

I haven't managed to find a suitable thread about this.

There's a 1.5cm hair stuck underneath the protective layer of the panel. It was originally pinned between the bottom frame and the panel when I bought the machine used, I tried to blow it away and it went inside, near the center, and it doesn't move anymore.

I want to disassemble the panel to get it out, is it doable/have you got any advice? Thanks.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: [X40] Open the LCD to get a hair out

#2 Post by ajkula66 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:39 pm

tottoroo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:19 pm

I want to disassemble the panel to get it out, is it doable/have you got any advice? Thanks.
Don't do it.

You'll destroy the panel in the process, since there's no way of avoiding dust specs that will find their way in between the layers of the LCD and will end up looking as bad - if not worse - than that hair particle once the backlight "hits" them.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

tottoroo

Re: [X40] Open the LCD to get a hair out

#3 Post by tottoroo » Sat May 04, 2019 6:30 am

TL:DR; I may have been extremely lucky, but it worked, here are some pics:
https://imgur.com/a/jLd9Nsv

++++++
I did it anyway cause I saw a listing for a panel today, pretty cheap. And wanted that hair gone more than anything. Believe me when I say I was careless doing this.

I disassembled the screen and opened it (once you get to the bare panel, there are 5 tiny screws per side, then the metal frame opens like an envelope, from the bottom side) I twisted the panel a bit because I didn't want to remove the metal frame all the way, started blowing, and noticed a white piece of plastic (a broken clip from the part that holds the screen's board in place) stuck between the layers. Got it out with a piece of A4 paper, the only thing I had that could reach it.

I was already convinced the screen was totaled, there was dust all over, so I wanted to fire it up and see the damage... surprisingly, it worked well when reconnected! The only issues: now there was a 1mm big black piece of dust where the hair was, and the hair had moved to the upper right corner. So I took it apart again, blew air until my head felt light, and hoped for the best. Everything gone! And no damage!