Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X40 Cracked Panel - Will X32 or others work as replacement?

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
justin1985

X40 Cracked Panel - Will X32 or others work as replacement?

#1 Post by justin1985 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:57 am

I recently bought a pair of classic Thinkpads, one of which was an X40 that was shown with working screen in the listing, but arrived cracked. The seller refunded half the cost of the pair, so I'm in the situation if I can get it working, that's a bonus. I've got it booting properly with a new CMOS battery, SD card to 44-pin IDE adapter, and external monitor.

I understand the replacement panels I need are FRUs 92P6754 (Samsung) or 92P6687 (ID Tech), which are the same for X40 or X41. However, they seem to be very hard to find! There seems to be some reasonably priced stock in the US, but sellers either won't ship overseas, or charge a silly amount to do so. The handful of UK sellers listing these FRUs have very high prices - which just can't be justified for this old retro machine.

However there are lots of listings on UK eBay for panels for the X32, and even X2x Thinkpads, at reasonable prices. Searching old posts here, it seems some people have used X40 and X32 screens on each other, with some modification to connectors?

I've seen at least one seller listing the 92P6754 FRU as BN BOEHYDIS 12.1" XGA HT121X01-100 - and that model number brings up a load of other listings, none of which look exactly the same.

Any tips or suggestions for finding a compatible screen would be greatly appreciated!

Justin