Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

FORUM RULES, HOW-TOs and FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

FORUM RULES, HOW-TOs and FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

#1 Post by BillMorrow » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:34 pm

Last edited by BillMorrow on Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

pphilipko

Re: New RULES of this ROAD - READ ME NOW

#2 Post by pphilipko » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:49 pm

BillMorrow wrote:General Comments

4. No blatantly juvenile toilet humor. Moderator's judgment applies here.
I was looking forward to that! :wink:
Phil
IBM X40, 2371-AV0
Lenovo T61, 6458-AB1
En route: X61t

usccharles

#3 Post by usccharles » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:02 am

2. Do not post links, model availability, or pricing information from sites that restrict their purchasing to specific narrow groups (e.g. EPP [employee purchase] or specific Education sites). The members of these institutions can find their information through their employer or organization. Posting the links or information without prior permission from Lenovo/IBM is of questionable legality. Those that are entitled to these discounts have no problem finding the site directly from Lenovo/IBM, their employee friend, or their school bookstore.

3. Don't ask how to get an EPP (Employee Purchase) or Educational Discount. If you are a member of one of these groups, ask them: they will know better. Questions about the Thinkpad are welcome. Questions about the the specific purchasing program itself should be directed toward your qualifying organization.

[/b]
i don't understand why this is a problem. this forum is to share information and if an employee or education person does not know that there is a discount for them they should be able to find that here. this is how i found the Visa discount. i would never have been able to get that discount if someone here didn't post a link to the discount. i had a VISA so i was eligible. i'm not a Employee of IBM or a student so i will not be eligible for those. using the links provided should be the responsibility of the person using the link not the person who shares information about the availablitity of such a discount. because like the VISA discount, i'm sure there are some people who come to this forum not knowing that their student status enables them to a discount. this forum should be able to tell them where to go.

just an opinion :D

underclocker

#4 Post by underclocker » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:13 pm

usccharles wrote:

2. Do not post links, model availability, or pricing information from sites that restrict their purchasing to specific narrow groups (e.g. EPP [employee purchase] or specific Education sites). The members of these institutions can find their information through their employer or organization. Posting the links or information without prior permission from Lenovo/IBM is of questionable legality. Those that are entitled to these discounts have no problem finding the site directly from Lenovo/IBM, their employee friend, or their school bookstore.

3. Don't ask how to get an EPP (Employee Purchase) or Educational Discount. If you are a member of one of these groups, ask them: they will know better. Questions about the Thinkpad are welcome. Questions about the the specific purchasing program itself should be directed toward your qualifying organization.

[/b]
i don't understand why this is a problem. this forum is to share information and if an employee or education person does not know that there is a discount for them they should be able to find that here. this is how i found the Visa discount. i would never have been able to get that discount if someone here didn't post a link to the discount. i had a VISA so i was eligible. i'm not a Employee of IBM or a student so i will not be eligible for those. using the links provided should be the responsibility of the person using the link not the person who shares information about the availablitity of such a discount. because like the VISA discount, i'm sure there are some people who come to this forum not knowing that their student status enables them to a discount. this forum should be able to tell them where to go.

just an opinion :D
I'll take a crack at answering this one, it's because of the potential for fraud. With EPP or educational purchases or contractor purchases (for that matter), it's possible to use someone else's ID to order at a discount, fraudulently. Sometimes all you need is a six or seven character code to access discount pricing (so I've seen from postings on other forums).

With the Visa link, there is no potential for fraud. If you have a Visa card, you are permitted to use it.

This board aims to remain above board, in all respects. I think it's that simple.
T510, i7-620m, NVidia, HD+, 8GB, 512GB Intel 545s SSD, Webcam, BT, FPR Home
T400s, C2D SP9400, Intel 4500MHD, WXGA+, 8GB, 160GB Intel X18-M G2 SSD, Webcam, BT, FPR Travel
Edge 14 i5-540m, Intel HD Graphics, HD, 8GB, 180GB Intel Pro 1500 SSD, Webcam, BT, red cover Music

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#5 Post by Harryc » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:52 pm

underclocker wrote:
This board aims to remain above board, in all respects. I think it's that simple.
Well said. That is a stone cold fact.