Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Tablet items missing after fresh install of WinXP Tablet

X20/X21, X30/X31, X40/X41 Series
gerdh
Freshman Member

Tablet items missing after fresh install of WinXP Tablet

#1 Post by gerdh » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:55 am

Hello,

after a fresh install of the WinXP Tablet OS (building an install CD from the preinstalled /i386 folder and the /CMPNENTS folder) I got everything going smoothly including all device drivers (thanks to the new Software installation from Lenovo).

the pen is working as mouse replacement quite nicely.

The only thing missing is the Tablet PC Input Panel app, either from the task bar (where the button resides) or when moving the mouse (pen) pointer to a field to edit, e.g. explorer address line. Nothing is coming up to write in - hm.

Any help in this matter very appreciated.

Gerd

[made this a temp sticky, Bill Morrow]

gerdh
Freshman Member

#2 Post by gerdh » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:10 am

Fixed. Actually, gone away...

The missing tool came up after one of the subsequent reboots in teh course of the action

Gerd

gerdh
Freshman Member

#3 Post by gerdh » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:19 pm

I managed to create a fresh install of the OS following the instructions in

http://www.4saad.com/WhatsNew/Fresh_XP_ ... /index.htm

but I would like to comment as follows:

- It is recommended to save the DRIVERS folder on a separate CD- in order to start the Software Installer tool, the manual install of the Ethernet driver is required. (All other tools are loaded by this great app.)

-the Media Center Folder inside the CMPNTS folder does not fit on the installation CD- no problem, not required

- in case someone is using more than one input language: there is a free-of-charge Multilanguage Pack which adds the ink recognition to other than English languages -helpfull

the fresh OS installation reduced the original OS size to about 1.5 GByte and got my X41T going again with much better performance. Very recommendable

Gerd

K0LO

Clean Install of XP Tablet Edition highly recommended

#4 Post by K0LO » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:59 pm

I want to second Gerd's comments. After putting up with poor performance from my X41T since I got it last September, I finally bit the bullet and reinstalled Windows XP Tablet Edition from scratch.

What an incredible difference! I can't tell you how much better this machine runs with a clean install. My boot time went from 300 seconds to 60 seconds. The "stuttering cursor" problem (where the machine is so busy taking care of background tasks that it can't keep up with cursor movements) is almost completely gone. And fast! It seems so much more responsive and faster now. No more mysterious lockups and freezes, either. The machine now works like I'd expect a modern PC to work.

I'm not sure what IBM did, but their default factory image for this machine has serious problems. I highly recommend deleting it and reinstalling XP Tablet Edition from scratch. It's well worth your time. Highly Recommended.

Now a happy X41T owner...
Last edited by K0LO on Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

gerdh
Freshman Member

Fresh Install of XP Tablet PC Edition

#5 Post by gerdh » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:29 pm

First of all I would like to ask the moderator to change the subject of this sticky thread to the above.

Then, I would like to confirm the improvements in performance of my TabletPC:

- I also experienced the stuttering cursor and numerous sudden hang-ups which rendered the system useless in certain situations - before the new OS installation. I today believe that many problems reported as HDD cache problem or "clicking HDD" problem actually stem from the overloaded factory image.. my HDD was replaced but dicks nevertheless.

However, the fresh install finally removed seemingly a lot of preloaded advertising applications and gave me a new and finally usable tablet. The cursor stutters rarely, the hang-ups disappeared.

Gerd

K0LO

#6 Post by K0LO » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:09 pm

I've written an article about how to do this, for anybody who would like more detail.

http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/showthread.php?t=86

Mark

**Edit** I forgot to update this post. Due to the frequent outages and unavailability of the tabletpcbuzz forum, the article mentioned above was updated and moved to GottaBeMobile.com in October 2006:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/forum/foru ... sp?TID=339
Last edited by K0LO on Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

defiant

#7 Post by defiant » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:01 pm

This sounds great but I want to keep the IBM restore partition. As far as I understand it, by default, its hidden from the XP OS. If I just leave it like that, can I format and install XP w/o screwing anything up on the recovery partition?

Also, since I dont have an external optical drive, I was planning on using my USB2 external HDD to install windows.

So I what I plan on doing is this:

-copy all needed dirs(i386 etc) to ext. hdd
-boot up with a win98 floppy
-run winnt.exe from ext hdd and install winxp tablet

Do you think I will have any problems doing it that way? I was concerned about the laptop finding the files again after the first reboot.

K0LO

#8 Post by K0LO » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:50 pm

This sounds great but I want to keep the IBM restore partition. As far as I understand it, by default, its hidden from the XP OS. If I just leave it like that, can I format and install XP w/o screwing anything up on the recovery partition?

Yes, you can keep it intact if during installation you tell Windows to keep the IBM restore partition and install itself in the existing Windows partition. However, I think that Windows will install its own bootloader, thus overwriting the one supplied by IBM. That will probably prevent you from obtaining access to the hidden IBM partition until you install another bootloader program.

My knowledge is limited here, so you may want to check with some of the people who install multiple operating systems on their machines and use a bootloader program (like Linux lilo or grub) to switch between partitions.

If anyone knows how to do this properly, and especially if you know how to make it so that you can keep the ability to boot into the IBM service partition with the blue "Access IBM" button, please chime in!

I haven't tried your installation method, so I don't know if it will work but it sounds reasonable.

Mark

Adam
Freshman Member

#9 Post by Adam » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:25 am

Hey k0lo, awesome tutorial! I got stuck at the beginning though where it says to copy the 4 folders from the tablet's C:. I don't have a DOCS folder. It may be due to all the IBM updates I did... I'm not sure.

Any suggestions?
X41t (18666SU)

K0LO

Docs folder

#10 Post by K0LO » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:00 am

Adam:

The DOCS, SUPPORT, and VALUEADD folders are optional and contain a few extras that are mostly of interest to developers and IT support people. They are present on retail Windows CDs. You don't need to have any of them to reinstall Windows. The ones you must have are i386 and CMPNENTS.

Adam
Freshman Member

Re: Docs folder

#11 Post by Adam » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:48 am

k0lo wrote:Adam:

The DOCS, SUPPORT, and VALUEADD folders are optional and contain a few extras that are mostly of interest to developers and IT support people. They are present on retail Windows CDs. You don't need to have any of them to reinstall Windows. The ones you must have are i386 and CMPNENTS.
OK great, thanks. It seems as though the tabletpcbuzz forums are down as I can't read your article though :( Do you have it backed up anywhere by any chance?
X41t (18666SU)

Nebrie

#12 Post by Nebrie » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:09 pm

rek

Re: Tablet items missing after fresh install of WinXP Tablet

#13 Post by rek » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:13 pm

I had the same problem recently: I found that when slipstreaming a service pack into an install disc (in my case it was SP3) some of the tablet components don't copy over properly. After installing with the newly created media, the onscreen keyboard and TIP were missing.

The solution was simple, just install SP3 (manually) after the original install. I guess the installer is a bit smarter then, and realises it's working with XP Tablet and not XP Pro.
Main - P16s 16.0 2560x1600 | i7-1280P | 32GB | 1TB SSD
Workshop - E460 14.0 1920x1080 | i7-6500U+Radeon | 12GB | 256GB SSD

twillingham

#14 Post by twillingham » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:18 pm

I agree I purchased OEM disks and reinstalled tablet edition and everything works faster and better no stuttering mouse and no freezes. I noticed that when i installed the hard drive programs which stops the hard drive when bumped or dropped I noticed that I would still occasional stuttering curor and freezes when I uninstalled it That has not happened once. The only problem that is noticeable is when I had the factory IBM image running tablet pc my screen orientation changed immediately when I rotated to tablet mode now it takes 25-30 seconds before the screen will change automatically. My tablet buttons work fine and I can change automatically. Any thoughts
Thinkpad X41

K0LO

#15 Post by K0LO » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:12 pm

twillingham wrote:...The only problem that is noticeable is when I had the factory IBM image running tablet pc my screen orientation changed immediately when I rotated to tablet mode now it takes 25-30 seconds before the screen will change automatically. My tablet buttons work fine and I can change automatically. Any thoughts
With a clean install the screen orientation used to change immediately for me -- I never saw anything like a 25-30 second delay. Two thoughts:
1. Make sure that you're using the latest display adapter driver from Lenovo
2. If your installation is new, give it a few days to settle in. Windows XP gradually optimizes the layout of files that are loaded at boot time. The problem may go away by itself.

I've since sold my X41 Tablet, but you might want to consider Windows 7 some day -- it runs really well on the X41T; better than XP did.
Mark

X61T 7764-CTO, Core 2 Duo L7500 LV 1.6 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 120 GB Intel X25M SSD
Multiboot w/Grub4DOS -- Windows 10, MustangPE, PartedMagic
My ex: X41T (2005 - 2009)

twillingham

#16 Post by twillingham » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:50 pm

thanks Mark but will Windows 7 allow me to use my tablet features
Thinkpad X41

K0LO

#17 Post by K0LO » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:40 pm

Absolutely. All of the tablet features are much improved in Vista and Win 7 compared to Win XP Tablet Edition.
Mark

twillingham

#18 Post by twillingham » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:50 pm

I might give it a shot. I downloaded win 7 RC1 installed it and didnt like it It reminded me of troublesome vista so I took it off immediatley But I installed it on a non tablet my x40. BTW I resolved my auto rotate problem By going to Intel and downloading a more recent driver now my screen auto rotates. One final thing i assume I just have to download all the drivers or save them on my thumb drive, i e tablet button drivers etc and I am back in business Thanks again Mark for your help
Thinkpad X41

K0LO

#19 Post by K0LO » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:07 pm

twillingham wrote:One final thing i assume I just have to download all the drivers or save them on my thumb drive, i e tablet button drivers etc and I am back in business...
Win 7 RC1 has most everything that you need. A trip to Windows Update after installation will resolve most of the driver issues. Try this after installing to resolve the rest.
Mark

twillingham

#20 Post by twillingham » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:24 pm

in win7 will i be able to use programs, tablet experience which allows me to write on my desktop and other tablet programs or use my pen in outlook etc
Thinkpad X41

K0LO

#21 Post by K0LO » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:36 pm

Yes. In Windows XP there was a special version (XP Tablet Edition) for a tablet PC. Starting with Vista, the tablet PC components are included with all editions of the OS except for Home Basic; there is no longer a special edition for tablet PC support.

There were one or two programs in the XP Tablet Experience Pack that may require special setup to work on Vista and Win 7, but in general all tablet-aware apps like Outlook, MS Office, OneNote, Journal, etc., work. The Tablet Input Panel (TIP) and handwriting recognition are much improved in Win 7.
Mark

twillingham

#22 Post by twillingham » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:45 pm

I wish I had know this before I spent 150 for OEM windows xp tablet edition 2005 when I wanted to do a clean install. Since I downloaded the win 7 rc canidate for free and could have used it for about a year and then probably would have changed laptops by then anyway BTW how does your x61 run did you ever experience the stuttering cursor or freezes like most of us experienced with the x41
Thinkpad X41

K0LO

#23 Post by K0LO » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:56 pm

twillingham wrote:I wish I had know this before I spent 150 for OEM windows xp tablet edition 2005 when I wanted to do a clean install.
Ouch! You could have created your own XP Tablet Edition CD using my article (the second link in post #6 above).
twillingham wrote:BTW how does your x61 run did you ever experience the stuttering cursor or freezes like most of us experienced with the x41
The X61T is amazing; it's faster than my desktop machine. I really like it. And no, there are no stutters, pauses or freezes.
Mark

twillingham

#24 Post by twillingham » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:12 pm

Oh that was you.. I read your article and that is what encouraged me to do a clean install I just chose not to do it myself so to speak. I printed your entire post and used it to reinstall certain things you suggested and as a guide. One thing I noticed is when I had hard drive protection installed I would still get occasional freezing. After i unistalled it I havent had that problem
Did you do a clean install on your x61 or you still using straight from factory ibm image installation. The x61 will be my next laptop as soon as I can find a mint condition one and in my price range I get my laptops from and IBM techician supplier here in atlanta I usually tell my contact what i want and they get if for me and the machines are compeletly refurb with new keypads etc and are in immacualte condition. Its just a matter of price they can bring it to me for
Thinkpad X41

K0LO

#25 Post by K0LO » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:31 pm

twillingham wrote:...Did you do a clean install on your x61 or you still using straight from factory ibm image installation...
The factory image on my X61 was Vista Business, and it ran pretty well. I soon replaced it with a clean install of Windows 7, however. I think that the factory image on the X41 was the worst I've ever seen; I couldn't believe how poorly it ran. IBM must have done something wrong when they built it. The X61 factory image is much better.
Mark

alteist

#26 Post by alteist » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:37 am

If you don't have all driver setup files, your Windows system is working and you have to reinstall OS, I can recommend to backup your drivers by such tools as Driver Magician Lite (free). They scan system for installed drivers and copy them to selected directory, which you would be able to choose when new system asks for drivers. Of course, it's better to install drivers from original setup files, but this method can help in some cases.
T30, X41, T60

astroidea
Freshman Member

#27 Post by astroidea » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:46 am

Agreed with this thread. I don't get what is all that junk that manufacturer's preload the computer that bogs it down so much. But I formatted and installed Win7 first thing when I got my X41 Tablet from ebay and it ran soooo much faster.

Perhaps it's all the deals the manufacturer gets by preloading the junk on there.
I have a friend that has a brand new dual core 2GHz Dell, and that thing is sooo slow.