Anyway, in taking it apart, I notice something in the DIMM area ... there's no backup battery, as indicated in the maintenance manual. This thing has been running for months, at least, without what I thought was the CMOS battery. What is that battery for, if not CMOS? And, since I'd like to put one in there (seems a good idea), any suggestions on reputable dealers?
welcome to the Thinkpads forums
I have a very similar problem.
Symptoms (on AC - battery is not plugged)
1) Fn+F4 - "Preparing to Standy" message appears, then system cuts power. Power button doesn't wake the computer up. After disconnecting and re-connecting power cord, pressing the power button, the computer reboots from the beginning (as one would normally boot a windows PC)
2) Closing the lid puts the computer into hibernation. Opening the lid and pressing the power button doesn't work. After disconnecting and re-connecting power cord, it works.
3) Closing the lid puts the computer into hibernation. With the battery attached, pressing the power button wakes the computer from hibernation. Standby (Fn+F4) still doesn't work with the battery attached - it still cuts power.
None of the previous Power Manager Drivers worked. I have 1.43 at the moment (latest), I have tried 1.41, 1.42 to no avail.
I have ordered the CMOS battery from IBM today, should arrive in a couple of days. I am not sure if the culprit is the CMOS battery.
P M 1.4Ghz | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD | 12.1" XGA | X3 Ultrabase | DVD/CD-RW | 802.11 a/b/g WLAN | BT | WinXP Pro SP2
thanks for the reply. Yes, I saw your problem in the forums and thought it was familiar.
What's really throwing me is, what is that backup battery? How is my system functioning without it, if it's supposed to be a CMOS battery? It's not like I have to re-set the time in my BIOS everytime I power up.
Anyone who can tell me what that battery is / does, and point me to someone reputable to purchase one, will be greatly appreciated.
Not monetarily rewarded, however.
So far, can't repeat the problem. Must be fixed!
- Senior Member
- Posts: 746
- Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:21 pm
- Location: Providence, RI, USA
- Similar Topics
- Last post
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests