Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X20 RUNNING REALLY SLOW ...... HELP PLEASE

X20/X30/X40 Series specific matters only
thebigarniedog

X20 RUNNING REALLY SLOW ...... HELP PLEASE

#1 Post by thebigarniedog » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:41 pm

Short background: I have an x20 with a P3 600mhz processor; 40 GB HDD & Windows XP version 2 and maximum ram (320mb ish).

Problem: My HDD died on my x20. So I took the HDD out of my T40 (same specs (Hitachi) & same HDD speed 5400) and pugged it in to my x20). It works, but it is really annoyingly slow.

Stuff I tried: I have run AVG 8.5 and Spybot S&D and so I don't think it's a malware/virus issue. It took forever to run these programs through their paces. I did the MS config thing to remove some of the annoying pre-load junk but I am open to options, as it really is slow (think dialup versus cable slow). I have road runner cable before, during and now.

My Notes: I previously was running XP version 2 on the prior HDD without problems. I use this machine for simple stuff (email/general internet cruisin). It is slow both on and off the internet as I stated. I should also note that on control panel (system info) it shows the chip speed running at 320ish instead of 600 even with the battery and electric plugged in (battery is good).

Thank you in advance for any help offered. Please feel free to explain in detail as my knowledge in this area is embarrassingly simple :D
Last edited by thebigarniedog on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: X20 RUNNING REALLY SLOW ...... HELP PLEASE

#2 Post by Harryc » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:45 pm

I'm surprised that you got it to boot at all. The obvious answer is to load XP on the X20 from scratch.

evanwhitneyx20

#3 Post by evanwhitneyx20 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:02 pm

when you do the fresh start disable all the visual effects too it makes it run faster, use windows classic theme too, the reason the computer is running the was it is cause the motherboards have different chipsets and that will cause drivers to run different and slow and possibly crash
- Evan J. Whitney

- IBM Thinkpad X20 Type:2662, PIII 600MHz, 320MB of ram, 60GB IBM Travelstar hdd, Windows XP SP2, Mediaslice x2 docking station.
"When you turn your Thinkpad on does it return the favor?"

davidspalding
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by davidspalding » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm

thebigarniedog wrote:Short background: I have an x20 with a P3 600mhz processor; 40 GB HDD & Windows XP version 2 and maximum ram (320mb ish).

Problem: My HDD died on my x20. So I took the HDD out of my T40 (same specs (Hitachi) & same HDD speed 5400) and pugged it in to my x20). It works, but it is really annoyingly slow....
No backups, eh?

A good backup is a reliable backup (you've tested with it). The only good reliable backup is off the system. And the best reliable off-system backup is one that is in escrow (storage).
2668-75U T43, 2GB RAM, 2nd hand NMB kybd, Dock II, spare Mini-Dock, and spare Port Replicators. Wacom BT tablet. Ultrabay 2nd HDD.
2672-KBU X32, 1.5GB RAM, 7200 rpm TravelStar HDD.

thebigarniedog

#5 Post by thebigarniedog » Fri May 01, 2009 9:57 am

davidspalding wrote: No backups, eh?

A good backup is a reliable backup (you've tested with it). The only good reliable backup is off the system. And the best reliable off-system backup is one that is in escrow (storage).
Actually, I have the original IBM XP install discs and the hard drive currently in use from my T40 has been properly partitioned so I can do a factory restore either way (I also have a IBM Netvista desktop running XP). I was hoping there was a way short of having to a full restore and update, but alas it doesn't seem to be possible.

davidspalding
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#6 Post by davidspalding » Fri May 01, 2009 10:28 am

I have two sets of "original" rescue discs for my T43 back from 2005 (and now with my X32). The rescue media which restores to the factory image, and a Rescue & Recovery backup set of the post install/config/personalization state, with most IBM utilities updated (to the versions that I consider most stable, and held in escrow on a NAS) and other Windows mods performed, but most third party apps not installed yet (e.g. Office, Photoshop, Acrobat).

Now when I wipe my T43 this summer, I'll have a few updates to do after restoring from the second set, but it will save me a few hours of work removing Norton AV, and other configuration changes (user setup, machine name, power management).

Suggest you do the same when you recover your system. Set it up how you want it before installing applications (which bloat Windows AND the backup set, which out to fit on one DVD), then do a full Rescue & Recovery disc bootable disc set [CD-R + DVD-Rs]. You can also do it to a USB drive. RNR will even make the USB drive bootable. Just a suggestion...
2668-75U T43, 2GB RAM, 2nd hand NMB kybd, Dock II, spare Mini-Dock, and spare Port Replicators. Wacom BT tablet. Ultrabay 2nd HDD.
2672-KBU X32, 1.5GB RAM, 7200 rpm TravelStar HDD.