Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

x61t fuse blown

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
risickwinters

x61t fuse blown

#1 Post by risickwinters » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:52 am

Hey all, so I switched the screen from an x60t to my x61t and when I powered it on it turns on and with the right light I can see the screen is working well but no backlight what so ever. I also smelled something burning. So, what I am thinking is that I connected the inverter wrong (http://tim.id.au/laptops/lenovo/thinkpa ... tablet.pdf slide 100, page 94, step 6), I still cant tell which is the correct way :/ But, am I screwed now? Wondering how to remedy this, am I going to need to de-solder this thing (assuming I can find it!) or buy a new board?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: x61t fuse blown

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:45 am

With all power/battery removed, check if you can connect the inverter to the LCD-cable from both directions.
The HMM shows how it's supposed to be.
AFAIK there's a fuse on the inverter itself, don't know its value. This one rarely blows.

Most likely it is the backlight fuse (F3) located SSW/7-o-clock/left of the LCD-cable connector on the motherboard.
It's a 3A/32V-Fast fuse, type 0603, and has the letter P on it.
Measure it for continuity with a multimeter.
If blown, get another one from e.g. Mouser and piggyback-solder it on top of the old one.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

risickwinters

#3 Post by risickwinters » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:56 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:45 am
With all power/battery removed, check if you can connect the inverter to the LCD-cable from both directions.
The HMM shows how it's supposed to be.
AFAIK there's a fuse on the inverter itself, don't know its value. This one rarely blows.

Most likely it is the backlight fuse (F3) located SSW/7-o-clock/left of the LCD-cable connector on the motherboard.
It's a 3A/32V-Fast fuse, type 0603, and has the letter P on it.
Measure it for continuity with a multimeter.
If blown, get another one from e.g. Mouser and piggyback-solder it on top of the old one.
You are my hero. Thank you so much for that, I will be looking/checking that later. A friend reached out and has the equipment I'll need.

risickwinters

#4 Post by risickwinters » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:27 pm

So I'm not seeing the exact fuse on mouser but I found a pack of them on ebay and also on amazon. The only problem is that it looks like they'll both take at a minimum 2 weeks to get here... Is there any better way? I live next to a microcenter, maybe check there? Any other ideas of places to check and/or could i desolder the same fuse from a backup x60t I have and use that? Thanks!

risickwinters

#5 Post by risickwinters » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:58 pm

Just wanted to reach back out, it took over a month for my fuses to come in but I finally got them and found that the blown fuse was F2. My back light works again and its amazing!!

Return to “Thinkpad X60/X61 Series incl. Tablets”