Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X61 battery life

X60/X61 series specific matters only.
cbrace

X61 battery life

#1 Post by cbrace » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:27 pm

Hi all,

I'm the proud new owner of a vintage X61 which I bought on eBay. It is in surprisingly decent condition. The good news about the battery, an aftermarkt 4-cell 2200 mAh, is that it's quite new and capacity is still around 100% with very few charge cycles. The bad news is that, booting from a USB stick, the laptop only seems to run an hour or so on this battery.

I plan to install Linux on a SSD and will set up tlp to see if that helps with power management, but in the meantime I was just wondering if this was to be expected. If so, I may have to break down and look for a decent 4-cell battery.

This is not a dealbreaker for me; if I want really long battery life I would buy a new(er) generation Thinkpad.

All in all, I certainly do understand why people are so fond of this series.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: X61 battery life

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:50 pm

An OEM 4-cell slim battery(X61s) got me about 20-30 minutes with Linux so that sounds about right.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

cbrace

#3 Post by cbrace » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:11 pm

I see a reasonably-priced Green Choice 4400 mAh battery listed on eBay. What do we think of this option?

cbrace

#4 Post by cbrace » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:30 am

I've now upgraded this unit. It now has 4GB RAM and an SSD. Last night I installed Linux Mint Xfce. It runs very nicely indeed! The guy who sold it to me on eBay refurbished it, redoing the thermal paste, and it runs cool and quiet. 48C as I now type :) This with the faster Intel T7500 @ 2.20GHz

(He also installed the Middleton BIOS)

I've installed tlp, but I don't have much experience with this program. Are there any settings I could change to improve battery life?

Am still considering a six-cell battery -- or nine-cell of such a thing exists.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:36 am

You can get 8-cell batteries.
X60/X61 use the same batteries.
For a complete list of options see the HMM link above and get the ThinkPad X60, X60s, X61, X61s manual.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

Sweater Fish Deluxe
Freshman Member

#6 Post by Sweater Fish Deluxe » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:17 pm

Isn't the 2200mAh battery only for the X60s and X61s models? I thought they wouldn't even fit in a regular X61.

The X60 and X61 are supposed to take the "4-cell enhanced" batteries, which are 2600mAh and have ridges on the bottom. I get two and a half hours out of mine in Linux (with TLP, tp-smapi, and tp-fancontrol) and even more in Windows (undervolted in RMClock). I'm not sure it's related to the 2200mAH battery, but you should definitely be able to get more than an hour out of a good condition 4-cell battery unless you have the screen brightness at max and are pushing the CPU pretty much full bore.