Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

SXGA X61t vs. Motion LE1700 -- and fair price for X61t

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
chackoc

SXGA X61t vs. Motion LE1700 -- and fair price for X61t

#1 Post by chackoc » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:05 pm

I've been trying to find an SXGA+ X61t for a couple weeks now but they seem to be like hens teeth. I want something for both sketching on the go and something with good Linux support (though not necessarily at the same time.)

Does anyone have any experience using something like Sketchpad Pro on both the X61t and the Motion Computing LE1700? I know the Linux compatibility is probably boing to be better on the X61t, and I would prefer a keyboard, but I'm willing to forgo that a bit since it looks like the LE1700 is regarded quite well as a sketching tablet and the LE1700 seems to be significantly easier to locate than an SXGA X61t.

Also, is $300-$400 the right sort of range to be expecting to pay for a fully functioning SXGA+ X61t? The FS threads I found in the marketplace seem to replace the asking price with "SOLD" so I had trouble determining the price point are currently trading at. There is/was one on ebay for $500 but that seems a bit pricey to my uneducated eye.

Anyway any info guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated =).

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: SXGA X61t vs. Motion LE1700 -- and fair price for X61t

#2 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:26 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I can't offer much insight on the Motion unit, since I've never used it...but seeing that it has a 1.8" hard drive would be a non-starter for me personally. Also, the chipset is the one used in X60T and not X61T...prices on eBay are closer to the X61T range, though, which I find confusing.

Make no mistake, Core 2 Duo L7400 seen in these machines will not be of much help when you're dealing with an antiquated 4200rpm hard disk at the same time. Any X60T with a simple Core Duo - let alone the later ones with Core 2 Duo - will leave this poor thing in dust when it comes to performance.

Expect to pay $350 for a X61T with SXGA+ in fully functional shape with normal wear. If the machine has warranty remaining - very important on these units IMO because of the "bubbly" screens that they tend to suffer from unlike the X60T - you're looking at $400+. Any significant upgrades/extras (RAM, SSD, docking station...) will drive the price up as well.

Happy hunting.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

chackoc

#3 Post by chackoc » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:03 pm

The HDD differences are something I hadn't noticed but I'm not too worried about raw performance. Any linux usage will likely be ram resident and the LE1700 seems to have enough of a following in the computer graphics community that i'm hoping it's processor/hdd combo are sufficient for running Windows7 + Sketchbook Pro with reasonable responsiveness.

I have a more modern laptop for everyday use so the new machine will only be used for sketching on the go and messing around with Linux.

That said I've never worked with a 4200 RPM drive. I'll have to dig more to see if that comes up as a frequent complaint of the LE1700.

I would prefer the thinkpad to the LE1700, but at this point it looks like the LE1700 goes for a bit less than the X61t while being much more readily available. I guess I have to decide whether to try and hold out for the right X61t to pop up or just grab an LE1700 and get on with it.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#4 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:15 pm

chackoc wrote:The HDD differences are something I hadn't noticed but I'm not too worried about raw performance. Any linux usage will likely be ram resident and the LE1700 seems to have enough of a following in the computer graphics community that i'm hoping it's processor/hdd combo are sufficient for running Windows7 + Sketchbook Pro with reasonable responsiveness.
Let me be perfectly blunt: W7 will run like a three-legged-dog on a 4200rpm drive of any kind.

XP is painful on something that slow unless one tweaks it tremendously.

I'm sure that there are hacks available, but they add $$$ to the final picture...

Curiosity on my end: what've you got against X60T?

Cheers,

chackoc

#5 Post by chackoc » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:50 pm

There are plenty of 3 legged dogs that can outrun me ;).

This shows someone running Windows 7 on an LE1700. The responsiveness is more than adequate for my needs thought I don't know if he's using the stock HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMBoy4cXGoE

I don't have anything against the X60t or even the non-SXGA X61t (I didn't realize until just now when I looked them up that the X60t was available with an SXGA screen as well.)

My big thing is the screen. I've never used a digital tablet for sketching/drawing before so I want to test out the medium/process. I figure since I have been looking for a linux laptop recently as well I should kill two birds with one stone. Somewhere along the way I convinced myself that the SXGA+ screen on the X61t would provide a better drawing experience, though why I developed that opinion I couldn't say. Perhaps that's an assumption I need to revisit?

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#6 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:10 pm

chackoc wrote: My big thing is the screen. I've never used a digital tablet for sketching/drawing before so I want to test out the medium/process. I figure since I have been looking for a linux laptop recently as well I should kill two birds with one stone. Somewhere along the way I convinced myself that the SXGA+ screen on the X61t would provide a better drawing experience, though why I developed that opinion I couldn't say. Perhaps that's an assumption I need to revisit?
My advice would be to buy the cheapest X60T with XGA screen - dime a dozen nowadays - and see whether that is acceptable for your needs. If it is, the upgrade path is simple...if not, at least you're not out $400+ for something that doesn't do what you need it to...

Cheers,

smugiri

#7 Post by smugiri » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:58 pm

chackoc wrote:I've been trying to find an SXGA+ X61t for a couple weeks now but they seem to be like hens teeth. I want something for both sketching on the go and something with good Linux support (though not necessarily at the same time.)

Does anyone have any experience using something like Sketchpad Pro on both the X61t and the Motion Computing LE1700? I know the Linux compatibility is probably boing to be better on the X61t, and I would prefer a keyboard, but I'm willing to forgo that a bit since it looks like the LE1700 is regarded quite well as a sketching tablet and the LE1700 seems to be significantly easier to locate than an SXGA X61t.

Also, is $300-$400 the right sort of range to be expecting to pay for a fully functioning SXGA+ X61t? The FS threads I found in the marketplace seem to replace the asking price with "SOLD" so I had trouble determining the price point are currently trading at. There is/was one on ebay for $500 but that seems a bit pricey to my uneducated eye.

Anyway any info guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated =).

If you just want to run an experiment, I suggest you go with the HP TC4400. They are Core 2 Duo and I think they have the _M945 chipset (rather than the _M645).

They can be had for about $150 shipped on eBay.
Steve

chackoc

#8 Post by chackoc » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:47 am

smugiri wrote: If you just want to run an experiment, I suggest you go with the HP TC4400. They are Core 2 Duo and I think they have the _M945 chipset (rather than the _M645).
It is an experiment but I still want to be left with a nice, small linux computer if it doesn't work out as a drawing platform. The HP might very well do Linux fine, but Thinkpads have been known to be reliable Linux platforms for more than a decade so I want to stick to that line if possible.

That's pretty much the decision in a nutshell. The SXGA+ X61t seems to be the best of both worlds but if it's unattainable should my search emphasize Linux compatibility (an alternative thinkpad tablet) or well regarded sketching functionality (the LE1700). The more sensible option seems to be an alternative X6xt configuration, though I know if I go that route and end up disappointed with the sketching, some small part of me is going to wonder if the outcome might not have been different with the nicer screen.
ajkula66 wrote: My advice would be to buy the cheapest X60T with XGA screen - dime a dozen nowadays - and see whether that is acceptable for your needs. If it is, the upgrade path is simple...if not, at least you're not out $400+ for something that doesn't do what you need it to...
By upgrade path do mean from the X60t to the X61t? Or is there a well defined hardware upgrade path for the X60t internals? Also I get the impression that if I get the SXGA+ X61t and it doesn't work out I should be able to sell it on again without incurring too much of a loss.