Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Swapped X61s motherboard into X60s, questions on BIOS version / computrace

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
thewanderer

Swapped X61s motherboard into X60s, questions on BIOS version / computrace

#1 Post by thewanderer » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:01 pm

Hi, first post here. I've had an X60s (w/ L2400 CPU) since new and I've always liked the size, keyboard, etc. and a while back I found out you could easily swap in an X61s motherboard which sounded like a great way to get a bit more performance out of my X60s (and make full use of the 4GB RAM I had in it!) I just picked up an X61s w/ L7700 CPU off eBay; the case was in poor shape and was missing some parts, but it was listed with a working motherboard. I swapped it in and everything is working but when I went into the BIOS, I was presented with the Computrace notification (something I hadn't even known about prior to this.)

I saw a comment that flashing the BIOS does not remove it, but do newer versions even let you see the setting and/or disable it? I've been reading on here and it sounds like the X61s BIOS never even displays the option to enable/disable/permanently disable this "feature" - but is this visibility specific to the BIOS version or will an X61s never show the settings? I think it has 2.12 (I'm using it right now so I'll have to reboot to double check.) Would upgrading to the most recent version (2.22, I believe) add the ability to see and hopefully change the Computrace setting in BIOS? What about switching to Middleton's BIOS, will that affect visibility of Computrace in BIOS (or just remove it completely?) I was planning on putting it on anyway to gain SATA II and probably swap out the wristwarmer wifi module for something else.

Worst case I can try calling them this week and hopefully get them to remove it, but it sounds like I'll probably need to install Windows and let it pull the disable notice from their server once they tell it to be disabled (I'm on Debian right now.)

jaspen-meyer

Re: Swapped X61s motherboard into X60s, questions on BIOS version / computrace

#2 Post by jaspen-meyer » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:35 am

In 2.22, Middleton bios, I don't see mention of Computrace.

I went in the opposite direction, replacing the x61s MB with an x60s MB, because it made the right palm rest cooler. Throttling the cpu to 1200 mHz helps as does lowering wifi power, for example:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
card=`ifconfig | cut -f1 -d\ |grep wlan`
iwconfig $card power on
iwconfig $card txpower 1mW
powertop --auto-tune
ethtool -s eth0 wol d;
T420 i7 3612QM seabios; T420 i7 3630QM; T400 Q9100 seabios; T61 P9600; T60 libreboot; x62; x60s libreboot, led; x24 xiphmont led

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:08 am

Computrace can be used from T43/X41 onwards. Only shows the CT screen with red text if activated.
Computrace settings are only shown from T400/T500/W500 onwards under: Security/Anti-Theft.
It has 3 Settings:
Enabled: you are screwed (same as your case)
Disabled: CT is installed in your OS (Windows/Linux/MacOS/etc.) and "phones home" but is not actively tracked
Permanently Disabled: this is what you really want.

As you mentioned already, call them up to stop it.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

thewanderer

#4 Post by thewanderer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:40 pm

jaspen-meyer wrote:In 2.22, Middleton bios, I don't see mention of Computrace.

I went in the opposite direction, replacing the x61s MB with an x60s MB, because it made the right palm rest cooler. Throttling the cpu to 1200 mHz helps as does lowering wifi power, for example:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
card=`ifconfig | cut -f1 -d\ |grep wlan`
iwconfig $card power on
iwconfig $card txpower 1mW
powertop --auto-tune
ethtool -s eth0 wol d;
I don't mind the heat from the CPU too much, it's just the heat from the WiFi card that's really annoying (and the X60s was the same.) I'll have to poke around for a half height 802.11n module now since it sounds like those should run cooler...
RealBlackStuff wrote:Computrace can be used from T43/X41 onwards. Only shows the CT screen with red text if activated.
Computrace settings are only shown from T400/T500/W500 onwards under: Security/Anti-Theft.
It has 3 Settings:
Disabled: CT is installed in your OS (Windows/Linux/MacOS/etc.) and "phones home" but is not actively tracked

As you mentioned already, call them up to stop it.
Well after 1 hour and 15 minutes on the phone, Computrace was finally removed from my new motherboard. I ended up putting an old drive in and installing Windows 7 32-bit and upgraded to BIOS 2.22 (which still does not show Computrace status/settings, by the way) before I called. The Computrace rpcnet* processes were running as soon as the fresh install finished on a wiped drive (and there was no internet / network connection either) so I'm guessing the Windows installation media has their stuff embedded in it? Or is there really enough room to store their app, etc. right in the BIOS?

Something unusual I noticed before upgrading their software was the rpcnet* stuff loaded on every other boot-up and it also messed up the drivers for video (stuck at 800x600) and mouse (didn't work at all) when the rpcnet* was running. If I'd reboot the machine, their software wouldn't be running and the drivers were fine (and I had 1024x768 resolution and mouse support as well!) I did this about a dozen times and sure enough, every other boot was perfectly fine w/ no rpcnet* processes, and the rest had the rpcnet* running with messed up drivers.

They informed me the version of their software was too old for them to remove it, so they emailed me some files I had to run and reboot a few times in order to upgrade their software so they could then remove it. As soon as I upgraded their software, this stopped happening - the drivers were fine for every boot and their software was always running.

I ran the Middleton BIOS (I downloaded it from http://www.mediafire.com/?88bollw42owgt ... -1.03).rar) and it said it updated successfully but when I go into the BIOS it still shows "2.22 (7NETC2WW)" as the BIOS Version. The ISO in the Middleton RAR says 7NUJ22UC, so I was expecting the BIOS to also reflect this. Also I don't see any other options or differences. Is there any way to verify I'm actually running the Middleton BIOS and not the normal Lenovo 2.22 BIOS?

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by dr_st » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:38 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:It has 3 Settings:
I may be wrong, but I don't think it's accurate. I think that if it's set to 'Disabled', it really is disabled, and nothing is installed in the OS, until you move it to 'Enabled'. 'Permanently Disabled' is just like disabled except it's also wiped off the BIOS and cannot be ever enabled again.

I think when it's 'Enabled', the services are installed, and there are two different settings there - Enabled / Activated (which is when the message is presented) and Enabled / Not Activated, which is when the services are installed but not tracked.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

jaspen-meyer

#6 Post by jaspen-meyer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:15 pm

If you've got an SSD you can check your read speeds. Without Middleton they'll be around 130mb/s, and higher with.

Yes, an app can fit on the 4MB bios chip. Some people load kernels onto their bios chip and run their entire OS from there.
T420 i7 3612QM seabios; T420 i7 3630QM; T400 Q9100 seabios; T61 P9600; T60 libreboot; x62; x60s libreboot, led; x24 xiphmont led

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#7 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:32 pm

Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by dr_st » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:05 am

This was a different scenario - you brought a drive from a PC that had had Computrace enabled (which means the relevant services were already installed, and booted in a PC where they were initially disabled. At that point, the software ran at boot probably enabled the BIOS module.

Since the T6x BIOS does not have options to enable/disable Computrace, if it happens to you, you are stuck with it in this state (unless you get Absolute to remove it, or hack it out yourself). But on a later series, that have the BIOS settings, if it's Disabled, then there are no services installed. At least, that's my understanding.

I can say that on my T410 with Computrace Disabled (not 'permanently'), I did not see any rpcnet services / processes or files on my laptop. Then again, I did not see them when it was Enabled, Not Activated as well, so I am not sure I have full understanding.

Something similar was reported here (was it also you, BTW?)
https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comme ... e_in_bios/
Computrace is installed (but usually not activated) in every IBM/Lenovo laptop since the T43 in 2005. In T43/R52 and T6x/R6x/X6x series it is not displayed if CT is not activated. From T400 onwards it has settings in the BIOS under Security/Anti-Theft/Computrace. I know X131e has CT-settings, but don't know about X130e and earlier (since they are not real Thinkpads).

But now for the bad news: if you have CT in your BIOS and settings Enabled and Not activated, it will still install Computrace on your HD/SSD and "phone home" at every boot, regardless of Windows or Linux. If you still can, ALWAYS set CT to Permanently Disabled.

And now for worse news: if you move a HD/SSD from one laptop with Computrace Enabled/Not activated to another laptop that never showed/had any Computrace (such as e.g. from a T400 to a T60) and then start that T60, it will nicely boot up, ask perhaps for some drivers, but otherwise function fine. EXCEPT: if you now go into the T60 BIOS you will all of a sudden get the Computrace warning in RED on a white background.

Since there are no CT-settings in that T60, you will need to either contact Absolute (and be VERY persisting in pestering them until they switch you off) or reflash the Atmel EEPROM using special hard-and software.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#9 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:02 am

Yup, that was me.
I left Reddit after only a few days, because I can't stand their ridiculous web-layout and the huge number of uninformed people who want to "make their point".

But I think you have a point as far as settings are concerned.
My T400 that had CT "ENabled/not activated" never showed the CT warning in red, so I thought all was well.
Only after the HD-swap from T400 to T61 did I realize what was really happening while "not actived", when the T61 BIOS all of a sudden made me see RED...
The "not enabled" part and no "red warning" led me to falsely believe that CT was harmless and not doing anything.
I have since checked all my Thinkpads (over 40 at last count) that none of them have active Computrace and, where possible, they are set to "Permanently Disabled".
I am currently checking a box full of HDs and SSDs for any rpcnet files.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#10 Post by dr_st » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:42 am

What I can't understand at this point is why my T410 does not exhibit any Computrace services even when it's 'Enabled, Not Activated'.

Could it be that the services only appear if the specific unit in question has a contract with Absolute attached to it? Like, when the BIOS module is 'Enabled', it will phone home upon startup, to verify the existence of a contract (based on unit / board serial numbers), and only if it is present, will download and inject the relevant services?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#11 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:14 am

I couldn't answer that.
CT programs are already loaded inside your BIOS.
Once it activates (for whatever reason) it installs itself from the BIOS onto the OS-drive and "phones home".
Read more here: https://securelist.com/analysis/publica ... revisited/