Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Giving some love to my X61

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
fourthree
Freshman Member

Giving some love to my X61

#1 Post by fourthree » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:04 pm

I'm waiting for the frankie to arrive but I'd like to give this X61(t) (X61 chassis with X61t mobo) a little bit of love for an excellent service for half a year since I bought it.

The goal is to have an excellent portable 4:3 machine, and X61 is as far as it goes, unless I'm mistaken. Also some of these might as well end up not being worth it - I do like my machines maxxed up for no reason, though. (I imagine that some people would suggest the 51nb mobos, but I'd rather put the money on the T70, and that's if you assume that you can actually get them.)

First of all would be the display. Does the HV121X04-100 fit? Seems like a newer AFFS screen with LED, just like the UXGA for T6x. Something like whatever black magic RBS does might be needed here. I'm also aware that it's an XGA panel, but XGA serves me well. I tried simulating an SXGA display using xrandr - and while it was decent - it was definitely not sharp enough (downscaling?) so my impression isn't the greatest. I wouldn't mind an SXGA panel though - but I look mostly at text, and would like to have crisp text - XGA proves itself great for this.

Second would be a possible keyboard replacement but I'm not sure if the X40 series keyboard would fit.. and I'd love the black colors of the X20 series. If they keyboard won't fit, could the keycaps possibly be replaced? Just the black enter key would be sweet. X40 keyboard with X20/X60 keycaps would be best. (As a fan of minimalist keyboards - if there are keycaps with a simple, centered key printed on them it'll be wonderful.. but maybe that's asking TOO much.)

Third is an SSD upgrade and Middleton's BIOS, although this guy will now be a minimalist text Linux system which should just run the OS from RAM. (I'm having trouble installing MBIOS on Linux - would burning a disc via the Ultrabase be a solution?)

Speaking of RAM.. fourth would be 8GB. Does 5300/6400 make a significant difference?

The fifth one - which I'm still unsure of - is perhaps an X200 fan/heatsink, those heatsink look identical, though. The 5.5th one is some new thermal paste.

The sixth and (likely) impossible one would be replacing the CPU with SU9600 but I'm not sure if it'll affect battery life too positively. Undervolting this L7300 might as well be the best I can do.

One minor problem is that my ThinkLight doesn't work - According to ThinkWiki it's not present on Tablet models - so I assume that it's not supported. But maybe there's a way. Another minor question is if an X61s chassis might be a better fit. But who knows, maybe it's not really worth it or possibly incompatible with the X200 heatsink.

Anything I missed or some suggestions? I'd like some help with the first one specifically, as I couldn't find anything about the HV121X04 at all!
Dorkstation: T601f
Ultraportable: X61s

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Giving some love to my X61

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:25 am

1. The HV121X04-100 has a different connector and seems to be in a different location compared to the original LCD -- this means an adapter cable is needed.

Also, since it has a LED backlight, the original inverter also needs to be modified -- the transformer must be removed, and a custom LED driver circuit fitted.

2. The X40 keyboard uses a different connector, so it's not compatible.
Try looking for vinyl dye if you want to change the color of the key itself. Applying a new "Enter" stencil is a another problem though.

3. First time I did a Middleton flash, I burned it to a CD and booted it using a USB CD drive. It's possible to put it on a bootable USB, but for the life of me I can't remember how. :x

4. 667/800 makes no difference since the memory controller only goes up to 667, but if the price difference is small, get the 800.

5. If you're already using the normal X61 heatsink (and not the slim one for the X61s/X61T), then you don't need to upgrade.

6. The SU9600 upgrade is impossible. It's a BGA956 package, while the X61 family uses processors with a BGA 479 package. a P-series (P8400, P8600 etc) is compatible-- some have upgraded their X61 boards to a P8800, but it requires extensive modifications, including RAM SPD reprogramming. :?

7. The other way is to simply use an X61s board, preferably with an L7500 or L7700 processor.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:33 am

To get M's BIOS on a USB stick, follow my good Irish friend Rufus
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

jaspen-meyer

#4 Post by jaspen-meyer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:22 pm

The 5300 runs cooler than the 6400 ram.

Whichever screen you use, replace the backlight/invertor with something from user 'xiphmont' on this forum.
See: https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/think ... anel.shtml

In a tablet shell I have an 1024x768 HV121X03-100 with a 'daylight' kit and it is 600 nits and contrast is around 700:1. I'm not certain whether that screen can be put in a non-tablet shell. The contrast of the non-tablet screens, with led backlight, is terrible in comparision, about 180:1 and 300-400 nits. Contrast is an important metric if you're working with text.

You didn't mention wifi cards. You need something which doesn't get hot, and you need to lower txpower and set powersaving mode to on "sudo iwconfig `ifconfig | cut -f1 -d\ |grep wlan` power on". I use an AR9280 (see ath9k.conf on arch wiki), if you prefer intel try the 6205n.

Boards with non-typical processors sometimes appear on 51nb.com.
T420 i7 3612QM seabios; T420 i7 3630QM; T400 Q9100 seabios; T61 P9600; T60 libreboot; x62; x60s libreboot, led; x24 xiphmont led

unixed

#5 Post by unixed » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:53 am

What screen are you currently using?
Are you aware that with your planar you can simply use a XGA AFFS screen (with CCFL backlight)?
By that I mean you wouldn't need an adapter cable since it would be electrically compatible, but you would have to do the usual physical modifications to fit it in an X61 lid.
The HV121X04-100 uses a single 40 pin connector, located in a different position (looks like bottom centre); this would be more difficult than using the HV150UX2-100 which has a separate 14 pin connector for the LED backlight, but looks feasible. The question is whether it is worth doing -- the LED backlight has unquestionable advantages, but my concern with using ex-factory LED backlit screens (based on feedback posted on this forum for the HV150UX2-100) is granularity of dimming: the steps might be -- off, bright, bright, bright, ..., very bright,.., fully on -- by way of caricature.
While this apparently doesn't bother some people, it does others (I remember someone changing back to his CCFL at first, then retrying the LED again later) and it would make viewing in low ambient lighting conditions difficult as well as using it side-by-side with other CCFL-lit thinkpads (which admittedly is niche usage). Unfortunately the latter is often submitted as proof of the superiority of the LED-lit screen; if you photograph the CCFL-lit flexview on it's own first, then next to a strong LED torch, it probably will also suffer by comparison.
The xiphmont thread referenced above presents an alternative approach worth taking a look at and appears to be the only option if you want an SXGA+ LED-backlit screen. The HV121X04-100 and HV150UX2-100 panels in contrast have builtin LED drivers.
If you can source the HV121X04-100 for a good price it would an interesting project, but if it's expensive it makes more sense to use a CCFL-backlit AFFS XGA screen where the outcome isn't in question.
Of course the same is true of the HV150UX2-100, when it was a cheap alternative to the CCFL-flexview as introduced by AlexeyTolstyh, you could try it and see, at the current prices it's an expensive trial.

Using xrandr to run an UXGA flexview at SXGA+ resolution looks blurry, both XGA and SXGA+ 12.1" flexview panels look great and complement text-mode.

Actually obtaining the various panels can be challenging. Please PM me if you have or can obtain the HV121X04-100, and likewise if you want a new (NOS) XGA AFFS panel (CCFL) which will work in an X61 lid.
You can search this forum for "SXGA+ mod" for the X61 to see what's involved and avoiding the pitfalls of EDID problems, glued (directly bonded) tablet panels and even stickier sellers abusing the word "compatible".

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#6 Post by axur-delmeria » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:07 pm

If only there's a readily available cable or adapter, I'd gladly transplant the Samsung PVA XGA screen from my hinge-damaged X61 Tablet and put it in a regular X60/X61.

unixed

#7 Post by unixed » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:48 pm

I'm using all the adapters I have with me, but most likely could accommodate you in a week or two.

I'm not familiar with the Samsung PVA XGA, but I think all the non-SXGA+ X61t panels can relatively easily be modified to fit the X60/X61 lid, anything that is glued like that SXGA+ panel is really difficult to work with, to put it mildly.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#8 Post by axur-delmeria » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:36 am

I've managed to remove the glue from an SXGA+ X61T panel once, but put a few nicks in the screen in the process.
Then completely wrecked the screen when I tried removing the metal tabs with a hacksaw (should've used the Dremel) :cry:

The protective glass on the Samsung PVA panel has double-sided adhesive tape at the edges, so it's relatively easy to remove.
The LCD cable mod is the real showstopper IMO, that's why I'm wondering if a readily-available adapter exists.

fourthree
Freshman Member

#9 Post by fourthree » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:25 pm

Once again I'm amazed by the replies here. My first thread about a UXGA thinkpad, then choosing between W701/T601f, now this.. kudos to TPF!

Sadly I put my money (perhaps hastily but I wouldn't want to be cheap about self-betterment! That's an e, not an a, I know what you're thinking..) in electronics for now.

Some good news is that I've got a surprise at the bottom of the post.. have fun.
axur-delmeria wrote:1. The HV121X04-100 has a different connector and seems to be in a different location compared to the original LCD -- this means an adapter cable is needed.

Also, since it has a LED backlight, the original inverter also needs to be modified -- the transformer must be removed, and a custom LED driver circuit fitted.
Sounds like a project I'm willing to undertake! No spoilers please - I'd like to see what I can do with my own abilities. I'll post an update in half a year or so.. meanwhile AMD's Ryzen lineup and what I predict would be subsequent market war between AMD and Intel should keep you occupied.

Of course, maybe Xiph's LEDs are just a better choice overall, combined with HV121P01.. sad week to miss George's awesome deal.
2. The X40 keyboard uses a different connector, so it's not compatible.
Try looking for vinyl dye if you want to change the color of the key itself. Applying a new "Enter" stencil is a another problem though.
I'll be upfront and say that I just really - REALLY - like the black color of the 20 series TPs. I'd imagine I could just replace the keycap but no problem at all if they won't fit. This keyboard is still excellent so no complaints.
3. First time I did a Middleton flash, I burned it to a CD and booted it using a USB CD drive. It's possible to put it on a bootable USB, but for the life of me I can't remember how. :x
Oh well. No SSD here anyway.
4. 667/800 makes no difference since the memory controller only goes up to 667, but if the price difference is small, get the 800.
Hopefully RAM prices wouldn't go boom by the time I'd do this upgrade.
5. If you're already using the normal X61 heatsink (and not the slim one for the X61s/X61T), then you don't need to upgrade.
Nah, X61s/t one. Which never gets above 60c, and is usually around the 40s.. quieter is better though.
6. The SU9600 upgrade is impossible. It's a BGA956 package, while the X61 family uses processors with a BGA 479 package. a P-series (P8400, P8600 etc) is compatible-- some have upgraded their X61 boards to a P8800, but it requires extensive modifications, including RAM SPD reprogramming. :?
Will be on my to-do list. Sounds like fun!
7. The other way is to simply use an X61s board, preferably with an L7500 or L7700 processor.
Which would also unlock my thinklight.. doesn't seem like such a bad idea.
RealBlackStuff wrote:To get M's BIOS on a USB stick, follow my good Irish friend Rufus
Curse you RBS, I now have to look for those blasted CDs.. in their defense they are indeed long lasting and are still kicking even after some abuse of them as a child.
jaspen-meyer wrote:The 5300 runs cooler than the 6400 ram.
Eh - how much exactly? I'm not sure how noticable it'll be, and that's without mentioning if the speed difference would be noticed.
Whichever screen you use, replace the backlight/invertor with something from user 'xiphmont' on this forum.
See: https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/think ... anel.shtml

In a tablet shell I have an 1024x768 HV121X03-100 with a 'daylight' kit and it is 600 nits and contrast is around 700:1. I'm not certain whether that screen can be put in a non-tablet shell. The contrast of the non-tablet screens, with led backlight, is terrible in comparision, about 180:1 and 300-400 nits. Contrast is an important metric if you're working with text.
So the tablet which I assume are IPS screens should be the way to go. I really wonder how X04 matches up to them.
You didn't mention wifi cards. You need something which doesn't get hot, and you need to lower txpower and set powersaving mode to on "sudo iwconfig `ifconfig | cut -f1 -d\ |grep wlan` power on". I use an AR9280 (see ath9k.conf on arch wiki), if you prefer intel try the 6205n.
What about AR9380?

Also, ifconfig tells me I'm using wls3. It's fine for connecting to my pretty close router. Haven't tried it outside.
Boards with non-typical processors sometimes appear on 51nb.com.
I really like 51nb for their ThinkPad love - but we have significant distance between us and that in my book harms reliability.
unixed wrote:What screen are you currently using?
N121X5-L06, which is not a bad panel at all - as far as TN panels go.
Are you aware that with your planar you can simply use a XGA AFFS screen (with CCFL backlight)?
Yeah, I did some research about panel replacements for the 60 series. Ever since I got this X61 I was quite interested in modding it in some way, however funds and it being my only machine for now is really a showstopper.
By that I mean you wouldn't need an adapter cable since it would be electrically compatible, but you would have to do the usual physical modifications to fit it in an X61 lid.
Machine surgery.. reminds me of a certain Terminator 2 scene.. (which was cut from the version that aired in theaters, IIRC)
The HV121X04-100 uses a single 40 pin connector, located in a different position (looks like bottom centre); this would be more difficult than using the HV150UX2-100 which has a separate 14 pin connector for the LED backlight, but looks feasible. The question is whether it is worth doing -- the LED backlight has unquestionable advantages, but my concern with using ex-factory LED backlit screens (based on feedback posted on this forum for the HV150UX2-100) is granularity of dimming: the steps might be -- off, bright, bright, bright, ..., very bright,.., fully on -- by way of caricature.
I'm mostly using dark backgrounds (high contrast colors with mostly text UI) so brightness isn't much of an issue for me. Easily visible text is a much higher importance for me, which is why I'm still unsure about XGA/SXGA. I did try it with xrandr --panning 1400x1050 --scale 1.367x1.367 and my favorite font at size 10 look palatable but highly blurry - no doubt because of downscaling. I even tried QXGA but that's just plain silly at 12.
While this apparently doesn't bother some people, it does others (I remember someone changing back to his CCFL at first, then retrying the LED again later) and it would make viewing in low ambient lighting conditions difficult as well as using it side-by-side with other CCFL-lit thinkpads (which admittedly is niche usage). Unfortunately the latter is often submitted as proof of the superiority of the LED-lit screen; if you photograph the CCFL-lit flexview on it's own first, then next to a strong LED torch, it probably will also suffer by comparison.
A good note - and I'll agree that switching to backgrounds easily hurt my eyes.
The xiphmont thread referenced above presents an alternative approach worth taking a look at and appears to be the only option if you want an SXGA+ LED-backlit screen. The HV121X04-100 and HV150UX2-100 panels in contrast have builtin LED drivers.
I assume that the X04's LED would probably be like the UX2's.
If you can source the HV121X04-100 for a good price it would an interesting project, but if it's expensive it makes more sense to use a CCFL-backlit AFFS XGA screen where the outcome isn't in question.
I found some on Ebay, but as for how reliable those are with their wordplay.. that's not something I'd try.
Using xrandr to run an UXGA flexview at SXGA+ resolution looks blurry, both XGA and SXGA+ 12.1" flexview panels look great and complement text-mode.
Actually obtaining the various panels can be challenging. Please PM me if you have or can obtain the HV121X04-100, and likewise if you want a new (NOS) XGA AFFS panel (CCFL) which will work in an X61 lid.
Out of funds currently - I'd imagine those NOS panels are rare, though..
You can search this forum for "SXGA+ mod" for the X61 to see what's involved and avoiding the pitfalls of EDID problems, glued (directly bonded) tablet panels and even stickier sellers abusing the word "compatible".
Yes, I've seen that before, which is why buying critical components is a difficult decision.
axur-delmeria wrote:If only there's a readily available cable or adapter, I'd gladly transplant the Samsung PVA XGA screen from my hinge-damaged X61 Tablet and put it in a regular X60/X61.
First time I hear of such a panel.. color me interested in how it fares to X03.

Once again thanks for the replies! This was much longer than I expected it to be.

Also, about the surprise I was talking about..

jaspen-meyer

#10 Post by jaspen-meyer » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:56 pm

I'm using a AR9380 on this machine. I can't tell the difference between it and the AR9280.
T420 i7 3612QM seabios; T420 i7 3630QM; T400 Q9100 seabios; T61 P9600; T60 libreboot; x62; x60s libreboot, led; x24 xiphmont led

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#11 Post by axur-delmeria » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:35 am

fourthree wrote:
axur-delmeria wrote:If only there's a readily available cable or adapter, I'd gladly transplant the Samsung PVA XGA screen from my hinge-damaged X61 Tablet and put it in a regular X60/X61.
First time I hear of such a panel.. color me interested in how it fares to X03.
It's probably not as good as the Boe-Hydis IPS panels, but it's still miles ahead of the stock TN panels on the X60 and X61.

unixed

#12 Post by unixed » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:40 pm

fourthree wrote:
unixed wrote:What screen are you currently using?
N121X5-L06, which is not a bad panel at all - as far as TN panels go.
Either you've listed the wrong panel, the wrong systemboard, or you're using an adapter. If you press F1 on startup and list the first 7 digits of your System-unit serial no. we can tell you where the error is.
If the LCD is right and you're not using an adapter cable then you don't have an X61T systemboard and you'd need an adapter cable to use an AFFS or PVA panel.

fourthree
Freshman Member

#13 Post by fourthree » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:08 pm

unixed wrote: Either you've listed the wrong panel, the wrong systemboard, or you're using an adapter. If you press F1 on startup and list the first 7 digits of your System-unit serial no. we can tell you where the error is.
7762W3Y

I can't find anything about this or the 7673-CTO (which is what on the chassis) on the MTM databse of TPF, btw.

EDIT: product ID on the chassis is 7673-V5R, nothing about it either. Checking Lenovo's site.

unixed

#14 Post by unixed » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:28 pm

That looks like a X61T. So either the LCD is different to what you've listed, or you're using a cable adapter. You can just use an AFFS or PVA CCFL Tablet panel after some physical modifications without needing a cable adapter.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#15 Post by axur-delmeria » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:18 am

He's using an X61T board in an X61 chassis, as stated in the initial post.

It's possible (I did it once), but in my case most of the indicator LEDs on the lid stopped working. I also had to flash the BIOS of a normal X61 on the X61T board.

unixed

#16 Post by unixed » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:06 pm

axur-delmeria wrote:He's using an X61T board in an X61 chassis, as stated in the initial post.
He then listed his current LCD as one having a pinout for a X60/X61, hence the subsequent discussion.

What screen did you use when you had a X61T board in a X61 chassis?

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#17 Post by axur-delmeria » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:39 am

Minor correction: I had an X61T board in an X60s chassis.

I used the stock X60s LCD and cable.

fourthree
Freshman Member

#18 Post by fourthree » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:28 am

axur-delmeria wrote:He's using an X61T board in an X61 chassis, as stated in the initial post.

It's possible (I did it once), but in my case most of the indicator LEDs on the lid stopped working. I also had to flash the BIOS of a normal X61 on the X61T board.
Can confirm that this is indeed the case.

One more point for an X61s board, or an X61T lid. Does the X41T lid fit?

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#19 Post by axur-delmeria » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:48 am

You won't be able to fit a Tablet lid into a non-Tablet chassis (without significant modifications) because the hinges are completely different.

Sample image of an X61 Tablet lid.

The X61 Tablet's swivel hinge in action

flyingfishfinger

#20 Post by flyingfishfinger » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:35 pm

I almost want to say "challenge accepted".
I've been dreaming of a "tablet" version of a regular X61 without the tablet buttons or fingerprint reader because for some reason I really hate that extra inch of depth especially when combined with the larger battery. That's basically the only reason I'm not transplanting my X62 board into an X61T chassis and do el-sahef's awesome mods to make everything work.
The other part, of course, is that I really want capacitive touch but I'm having issues finding a film that can be used as the topmost layer as well as directly on top of an LCD without a glass layer...
One can dream...

fourthree
Freshman Member

#21 Post by fourthree » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Minor question: how good is the slice battery (I think it's usually called 'extended battery') for the X60 series, versus carrying an extra, spare battery, and hibernating between switches? I was curious if increase in weight and height while in use is worth it.

FWIW my own 8-cell gets me about 5 hours of battery life or so, and it's at 80% capacity.

EDIT: forgot to ask - any good carrying bag recommendation?

xsixt
Sophomore Member

#22 Post by xsixt » Fri May 19, 2017 10:40 pm

axur-delmeria wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:07 pm
If only there's a readily available cable or adapter, I'd gladly transplant the Samsung PVA XGA screen from my hinge-damaged X61 Tablet and put it in a regular X60/X61.
Bad news, I was planning to do this instead of an SXGA+ transplant - I thought transplanting an XGA Tablet screen to a non-tablet would be easier than a SXGA+, but it sounds equally difficult?
T60p 15" UXGA T7600 | T61p 15.4" WUXGA T9500 |
Former: X61 T8300 [Slow GPU] | W510 FHD QM [Top screen but 16:9 sucks] | T420s [Portable but worst LCD ever] | X201 | X200 | X60T [Slow & hot]

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#23 Post by axur-delmeria » Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 am

xsixt wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 10:40 pm
Bad news, I was planning to do this instead of an SXGA+ transplant - I thought transplanting an XGA Tablet screen to a non-tablet would be easier than a SXGA+, but it sounds equally difficult?
If you already have the cable adapter, the next difficult parts are:

1. separating the protective glass from the LCD panel; on the X61 Tablets with Boe-Hydis AFFS/IPS LCDs (SXGA+ and XGA) this means having to deal with the sticky goo.

On a Samsung PVA panel, double-sided tape is used to attach the protective glass. IMO this is much easier to remove than the goo.

2. removing the tabs. I have a Dremel. I think I can get it right. :lol:

xsixt
Sophomore Member

#24 Post by xsixt » Sat May 20, 2017 9:33 am

axur-delmeria wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 am
If you already have the cable adapter, the next difficult parts are:

1. separating the protective glass from the LCD panel; on the X61 Tablets with Boe-Hydis AFFS/IPS LCDs (SXGA+ and XGA) this means having to deal with the sticky goo.

On a Samsung PVA panel, double-sided tape is used to attach the protective glass. IMO this is much easier to remove than the goo.

2. removing the tabs. I have a Dremel. I think I can get it right. :lol:
Well that's the problem, I don't have a cable adapter. And all available adapters seem shonky.

I thought only the HV121P01-101 had the sticky goo (with the bubbles), and the HV121P01-100 and XGAs had edge bonding/tape?

From thinkpad.de (https://translate.google.com.au/transla ... rev=search)

"Front panel is a two-sided matte, only edge-bonded, 1,5mm thick, acrylic disc with the HV121P01-100 and all XGA only pin models. With the HV121P01-101 direct-bonding display, it is a full-surface glued 1mm glass pane. The outer surface is frosted."
T60p 15" UXGA T7600 | T61p 15.4" WUXGA T9500 |
Former: X61 T8300 [Slow GPU] | W510 FHD QM [Top screen but 16:9 sucks] | T420s [Portable but worst LCD ever] | X201 | X200 | X60T [Slow & hot]

wileE
Sophomore Member

#25 Post by wileE » Sat May 20, 2017 9:54 am

xsixt wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 9:33 am
I thought only the HV121P01-101 had the sticky goo (with the bubbles), and the HV121P01-100 and XGAs had edge bonding/tape?
That is correct. There are no XGA with direct-bonding.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#26 Post by axur-delmeria » Sat May 20, 2017 10:10 am

wileE wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 9:54 am
That is correct. There are no XGA with direct-bonding.
I'm glad to be wrong then. :lol:

In any case, the cable adapter is the most important piece. Because modding a flex cable is well beyond my skill level. :O

fourthree
Freshman Member

#27 Post by fourthree » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:23 am

Project not yet abandoned, but I don't really use my X61 a lot anymore. Still more possibly impossible ideas.

Ideas:
[*] Any other panels other than the ones from X61T to consider? I'm fine with 1024x768, and 1400x1050 is only one existing panel. Nothing really beats the 1050p one as far as real estate goes, but still interesting to me.
[*] A major modification, but I recently tried a mechanical keyboard and really liked it. Can the keyboard be modified at all?
[*] EDIT: I was also curious if it's possible to 3D print some parts.

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#28 Post by wujstefan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:13 am

1/2 of my A22m is 3d printed ;) As long as it's away from heat source it'll do just fine. Not to mention there are already lots of models available on the net.

Why X60t and not X61t panels? X60t do not suffer from the common bubbling issue.

I think there was some topic on the German forum about KB mod in this model.
Too many thinkpads not enough time!
(stable under reduction)

fourthree
Freshman Member

#29 Post by fourthree » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:20 am

wujstefan wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:13 am
1/2 of my A22m is 3d printed ;) As long as it's away from heat source it'll do just fine. Not to mention there are already lots of models available on the net.

Why X60t and not X61t panels? X60t do not suffer from the common bubbling issue.

I think there was some topic on the German forum about KB mod in this model.
Got some pictures to see how it looks? Genuinely curious.

I forgot that the good panels come from X60t. Thanks for reminding me!

My German is nonexistent so if you remember where the thread is it'll be like a fun thing to see. Maybe el-sahef knows.

NonesensE
Sophomore Member

#30 Post by NonesensE » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:37 am

fourthree wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:23 am
Project not yet abandoned, but I don't really use my X61 a lot anymore. Still more possibly impossible ideas.

Ideas:
[*] Any other panels other than the ones from X61T to consider? I'm fine with 1024x768, and 1400x1050 is only one existing panel. Nothing really beats the 1050p one as far as real estate goes, but still interesting to me.
The German wiki lists a few compatible panels as well as most of the original panels, try google translate: http://thinkwiki.de/Displays_X60,_X61,_s_%26_Tablet
Note that if you want a high contrast panel, you need to use a tablet panel (PVA or AFFS). All the regular X6x(s) panels are TN. Should questions arise, feel free to ask.
If you want to go really crazy, you could try to use the 12.3" display from a HP tablet, but that mod would be quite a bit more sophisticated and expensive. On the German forum, we discussed this possibility in the X62 thread and I'm currently sourcing the necessities. For the original X6x(s/t) however, you'd probably need an additional BIOS mod.
Sometimes coming over from the German forum...
X62s 3rd batch, [s]T61[/s] T70 14" 4:3 1st batch